:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wow. I always thought Saban was one to bend every rule to his benefit as much as possible and constantly toe the line of what is allowed. That has been a big part of the back-to-back-to-back #1 classes, or whatever it has been. Harbaugh seems to be one-upping Saban even in this area lately and I'm sure this will lead to them constantly being in the top 2 or 3 classes every year as well.

It's crazy to see the lengths Bama, Michigan and a few others (Clemson?, probably some others as well) are going to one up each other in the minds of recruits. Meanwhile, we seem to be content with saving money and going on par with the second tier (probably more like third tier or fourth tier in all actuality). Unfortunately, we are seeing the impact of this decision.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm impressed by Michigan doing this... there is absolutely no reason the NCAA should allow this, but since they do... Kudos to Harbaugh

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
what kid wouldn't want to go to a competitive school and get to take a trip like this every year? shoot, i'd early enroll to try and get a 5th trip in

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
To make it economically feasible, Harbaugh wrangled a bargain deal with "Indonesian Air".

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
This is a genius idea... until the moment some players get rowdy out in town. Foreign police don't give special treatment to football players, unless it's futbol, maybe.

The only way this could be a better story is if kiffy was trying to set this up.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
But Michigan is now traveling to Rome for spring practices........Harbaugh has lost his mind with the crap he is trying to pull. Can only imagine the cost to send all players and staff to Rome for a week!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nces-trip-to-rome-for-education-spring-drills

The cost of the flights probably are not that great. The logistics of getting all of these kids passports and whether the NCAA allows you to pay for the kid to get a passport will be interesting. (I am guessing the NCAA allows you to pay for anything needed for practice.)

Now whether or not Harbaugh is wasting 3 practices on jet lagged players or not will be interesting. I doubt that many teens who are football prospects are sitting around wishing for a trip to Italy.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The cost of the flights probably are not that great. The logistics of getting all of these kids passports and whether the NCAA allows you to pay for the kid to get a passport will be interesting. (I am guessing the NCAA allows you to pay for anything needed for practice.)

Now whether or not Harbaugh is wasting 3 practices on jet lagged players or not will be interesting. I doubt that many teens who are football prospects are sitting around wishing for a trip to Italy.

College basketball teams are allowed to do trips like this and play actual pre-season games every 3 or 4 years (I can't recall exactly). Our team did this w/ Billy Donovan.

This is interesting because the NCAA just banned the satellite camps and the spring break satellite practices (at off-campus locations). So he seems to have found some rule to circumvent this new rule.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Power-5-ban-spring-break-practice-trips-limit-workout-times

Power 5 ban spring break practice trips, limit workout times

The Autonomous 5 have passed several new rules that apply to their leagues, regarding workouts, days off, spring break practice and more.

The rules only apply to P5 schools, but other schools can opt in.

- The P5 conferences voted 80-0 to prohibit athletic-related activities between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. (other than competition). That means no more 5 a.m. lifts and workouts, for example.

- The group also passed a proposal to prohibit off-campus practice during a vacation period outside of the season. This is a specific result of Michigan’s trip to IMG Academy in Florida last spring. Several coaches — inside and outside the SEC — spoke out against it last year. Harbaugh said he didn’t see the big deal and noted other sports practice over spring break.

“I don’t know why,” Harbaugh said last spring. “Our tennis team will be hitting balls this week.”

Harbaugh also said he didn’t see it as a recruiting advantage, which I’m pretty sure no one else agrees with. In defending it at Friday’s meeting, Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel brought up basketball teams that go on summer trips, asking why spring break was different. But it didn’t win enough people over.

The rule didn't get proposed until after we took the football team down to Florida for spring break,” Manuel told ESPN. “So I think you can read into that as you will.”

Many Michigan players said they enjoyed the trip. But as has proven to be the case with Harbaugh, he pushes the envelope so far that backlash leads to stricter regulations. Satellite camp restrictions are expected to happen in April.

ESPN’s Mitch Sherman noted Big Ten schools voted 11-3 in favor of the spring break ban, but student athletes on the committee voted 11-4 against the ban.

Other proposals passed include:

- 21 additional days off during the academic year, including 7 days immediately at the end of the season. There are limited exceptions for travel and life skills programs. This passed unanimously.

- A day off each week during preseason and vacation periods when classes are not in session. This passed 58-22.

- Schools can award financial aid retroactively within an academic year. This passed 73-7.

- Schools can provide “reasonable entertainment” to athletes during the academic year. This passed 55-25.

- Schools must develop a time management plan for each sport outlining team activities.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Is prostitution legal & accessible in Italy?
Couldn't Harbough just arrange a "joint" practice with U of Miami?

Last edited:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
They can spend their money and go to Florida or Italy but they still have to go back to Michigan. Their helmets suck too.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
but they still have to go back to Michigan

Ladies and Gentlemen... Ann Arbor Michigan:

020511_snow_annarbor-thumb-590x399-69356.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone who recruits against Harbaugh ( at least in the South) needs to take this photo with them. Those people look all hunkerd down enduring the winter weather. Or is that fall up there?

Also carry videos of cars sliding uncontrollably into wreckage -- smashed even at 10-MPH.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think the new rule goes into effect until next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.