Rule changes for NCAA basketball

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Committee has proposed a few changes to the rules.
  • Shorten the shot clock
  • Increase the restricted area arch
  • Decrease the amount of timeouts
  • Remove the ban on dunking in the pre-game warmups
  • Review shot clock violations on made field goals at any point in a game
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...l-rules-shot-clock-block-charge-arc/27368185/

The changes should help increase the scoring that has been lacking lately in the games.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n224505 said:
Committee has proposed a few changes to the rules.
  • Shorten the shot clock
  • Increase the restricted area arch
  • Decrease the amount of timeouts
  • Remove the ban on dunking in the pre-game warmups
  • Review shot clock violations on made field goals at any point in a game
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...l-rules-shot-clock-block-charge-arc/27368185/

The changes should help increase the scoring that has been lacking lately in the games.

I'm not a big fan of Increasing the restricted area or Decreasing the amount of timeouts. The rest make sense, why ban dunking in pre-game... it would help get the crowd going.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n224507 said:
I'm not a big fan of Increasing the restricted area or Decreasing the amount of timeouts. The rest make sense, why ban dunking in pre-game... it would help get the crowd going.

I agree with not liking the expansion of the arch but I like the decrease on timeouts. Some of the most annoying things to watch is when a timeout is made, channel goes to commercial, game comes back one, plays for 20 secs and then goes back to commercial for a media timeout. Reducing the timeouts will help make this not happen. Also they are proposing that a timeout taken within 30 secs of the media timeout, will become the media timeout.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a little pessimistic about what effect any of it will have on the scoring averages. College hoops are so far behind the pros these days on offensive philosophy that they almost appear like two different sports.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n224514 said:
I'm a little pessimistic about what effect any of it will have on the scoring averages. College hoops are so far behind the pros these days on offensive philosophy that they almost appear like two different sports.

This is true but they have to try something.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I don't think knocking 5 seconds off the shot clock will change scoring that much. If they went to say 28, then we would see a change I think.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n224513 said:
Also they are proposing that a timeout taken within 30 secs of the media timeout, will become the media timeout.

As it should be.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n224514 said:
NBA basketball is unwatchable

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n224641 said:
NBA basketball is unwatchable

It's really not. If you'd have taken the time to watch the playoffs, you'd probably change your mind. It's been pretty awesome this year. I'm a college guy, but the NBA has been able to hold my interest for the first time in many years...at least during the playoffs.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n224513 said:
Also they are proposing that a timeout taken within 30 secs of the media timeout, will become the media timeout.

Makes the lost of time outs more manageable.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
What was wrong with the way it was?

th

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;224663 said:
It's really not. If you'd have taken the time to watch the playoffs, you'd probably change your mind. It's been pretty awesome this year. I'm a college guy, but the NBA has been able to hold my interest for the first time in many years...at least during the playoffs.

This is the 1st year that I've watched the majority of the playoffs in 5 or 6 years.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Shot clock reduction sucks.

Arch movement...meh.

Timeouts...instead of removing one, have the team lose two, not one, if not used by halftime.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They need to make the ball smaller diameter ( an inch?), so we can hit more free-throws.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n224663 said:
I watch the Bulls when they are in the playoffs...and i didn't change my mind. There is absolutely nothing to NBA basketball that catches my interest and that will most likely never change. I stopped watching after MJ left the bulls and i have gone to only watching the playoffs and i can hardly stomach that (sometimes only tune into the 3 or 4th quarter). To each their own though and if you like it then good for you

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n224943 said:
I watch the Bulls when they are in the playoffs...and i didn't change my mind. There is absolutely nothing to NBA basketball that catches my interest and that will most likely never change. I stopped watching after MJ left the bulls and i have gone to only watching the playoffs and i can hardly stomach that (sometimes only tune into the 3 or 4th quarter). To each their own though and if you like it then good for you

The Bulls are about the most unwatchable. :lol:

GatorBenji

Sep 6, 2014
gardnerwebbgator;n224763 said:
Shot clock reduction sucks.

Arch movement...meh.

Timeouts...instead of removing one, have the team lose two, not one, if not used by halftime.
Yeah, I love watching teams pass the ball around for 25 seconds before thinking HEY WE SHOULD SCORE

It can still go down from 30 but this is a start

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator