Sandusky State to pay $7.3 million to Mike McQueary

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sandusky State is having to pay up big time here...

Ex-assistant Mike McQueary awarded over $7M in Penn State defamation case

https://sports-ak.espn.go.com/colle...state-assistant-mike-mcqueary-defamation-case

BELLEFONTE, Pa. -- A jury awarded a former Penn State assistant football coach $7.3 million in damages Thursday, finding the university defamed him after it became public that his testimony helped prosecutors charge Jerry Sandusky with child molestation.

Jurors deliberated for about four hours in Mike McQueary's defamation and misrepresentation suit.

Judge Thomas Gavin still must decide McQueary's whistleblower claim that he was treated unfairly as the school suspended him from coaching duties, placed him on paid administrative leave, barred him from team facilities and then did not renew his contract shortly after he testified at Sandusky's 2012 trial.

McQueary remained stoic as the verdict was read, and he and his lawyers made no comment as they left the courthouse.

A Penn State spokesman said the university would not comment on the case and the jury's decision until a final decision is rendered on all counts.

McQueary had been seeking more than $4 million in lost wages and other damages, saying he was defamed by a statement the school president released the day Sandusky was charged, retaliated against for helping with the Sandusky investigation and misled by school administrators.

Sandusky, a former defensive coach at Penn State, was convicted in 2012 of sexual abuse of 10 boys and is serving a 30- to 60-year prison sentence. He maintains his innocence.

"He should not have been the scapegoat," lawyer Elliot Strokoff said of McQueary, speaking to jurors.

In closing arguments earlier Thursday, Penn State attorney Nancy Conrad emphasized McQueary had said he was damaged by public criticism that he did not to go to police or child welfare authorities when he saw Sandusky sexually abusing a boy in a team shower in 2001. Instead he reported it the next day to then-head coach Joe Paterno.

"Mr. McQueary was not damaged by any action of the university," Conrad argued. "Mr. McQueary, as he testified and as he recognized, if he was harmed, was harmed by national media and public opinion."

McQueary testified he has not been able to find work, either in coaching or elsewhere, but Conrad blamed that on an inadequate network of contacts and the lack of a national reputation.

McQueary was not allowed to coach in the school's first game after Paterno was fired, a home loss to Nebraska.

"That sends a very clear signal to those in your network that the university doesn't want you to be supported," Strokoff said. "'Stay away, you're a nonperson.'"

Penn State has argued it put McQueary on leave out of safety concerns, as threats were fielded by the university.

Strokoff said there was no evidence of multiple death threats against his client and called McQueary's treatment outrageous.

Jurors awarded McQueary $1.15 million on the defamation claim and $1.15 million on the misrepresentation allegation that two administrators lied to him when they said they took his report of Sandusky seriously and would respond appropriately. They awarded $5 million in punitive damages.

Conrad insisted the university did take steps to inform McQueary about the actions it was taking, which included telling Sandusky to stop bringing children into team facilities and meeting with Sandusky and an official from the children's welfare charity he founded.

"No one told Mr. McQueary, 'You cannot go to the police,'" Conrad said.

The defamation claim involved a statement issued by then-Penn State president Graham Spanier expressing support for the two administrators when they were charged with perjury for allegedly lying about what McQueary told them in the weeks after the 2001 incident.

A state appeals court earlier this year dismissed the perjury charges against the administrators, former athletic director Tim Curley and former vice president Gary Schultz. But Curley, Schultz and Spanier still await trial in Harrisburg on charges of failure to properly report suspected child abuse and endangering the welfare of children.

Strokoff said Spanier's statement could have led people to conclude McQueary was a liar.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I can see how the PSU child-abuse sequence damaged McQuery's employment chances and
cost him $. Wonder if any mentally-ruined youngsters got $7 mil ?
Lord McQuery's lawyer was named Strokoff ??

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So the dude catches Sandusky in the act, does nothing to help the child except run to head pedo- coverupper and he's rewarded.

Eff him

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If he didn't break any law and they damaged his ability to earn a living.... they owe him millions. That's the Law and I don't have to agree but I do.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So they shower him with money. He make it rain.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
While I agree the school should be penalized for the way they handled things, he doesn't deserve a dime for his failure to alert the police after witnessing a child being raped. May they all rot in hell.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
While I agree the school should be penalized for the way they handled things, he doesn't deserve a dime for his failure to alert the police after witnessing a child being raped. May they all rot in hell.

I understand that sentiment, MJM. But I applaud the message of "we got your back" sent publicly to all potential
whistleblowers. Without McQuery would this have leaked out ?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I understand that sentiment, MJM. But I applaud the message of "we got your back" sent publicly to all potential
whistleblowers. Without McQuery would this have leaked out ?
I don't see him as a "whistleblower". They had been covering it up for years and continued to do it.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Maybe the most unfortunate name to have to be involved in any kind of sexual assault case.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's interesting how many pass judgement on others like they are without blame and have the right to judge. I would bet that most posters on this board would have done the exact thing McQuery did, report it to his superior.

Personally, I would have just beat the chit out of the pervert! (That's what I'd like to think I would have done anyway)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah should all be put into victims fund.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's interesting how many pass judgement on others like they are without blame and have the right to judge. I would bet that most posters on this board would have done the exact thing McQuery did, report it to his superior.

Personally, I would have just beat the chit out of the pervert! (That's what I'd like to think I would have done anyway)
Anyone that simply reports something like that to their boss and doesn't ensure the police are immediately called is a ****ing coward. Children need needs adults to be brave enough to do the right thing.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone that simply reports something like that to their boss and doesn't ensure the police are immediately called is a ****ing coward. Children need needs adults to be brave enough to do the right thing.

You big hero, you!

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'll just say again, it's easy to say what someone else should do from the sidelines. You can huff and puff and posture all you want but McQuery wasn't charged with any crime and Pedro-state ruined his reputation. If he deserves any compensation is up to a jury.... oh wait, they found in his favor despite him being a F#$king coward.

At this point, it's all hot air..

*I wouldn't hire him because he's a lousy coach, that's enough reason.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'll just say again, it's easy to say what someone else should do from the sidelines. You can huff and puff and posture all you want but McQuery wasn't charged with any crime and Pedro-state ruined his reputation. If he deserves any compensation is up to a jury.... oh wait, they found in his favor despite him being a F#$king coward.

At this point, it's all hot air..

*I wouldn't hire him because he's a lousy coach, that's enough reason.
You act like it would take a superhuman act of strength and heroics to make a phone call. I'm guessing you'd have walked away, as well.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Best truest reaction would be to rush in the shower, rescue the youngster and stay with until the CFS
that you called got there for the child. Why shouldn't that be one's impulse ?

I think "old fashion" family training kept such responses right at the forefront of people's character.

Last edited:

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You act like it would take a superhuman act of strength and heroics to make a phone call. I'm guessing you'd have walked away, as well.

I said what I would do in a previous post but you are too busy posturing to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator