Scott Stricklin is the new AD

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Just an interesting sidelight is the fact that Scott Stricklin's father-in-law is Bailey Howell. Who is Bailey Howell? He is a Mississippi State basketball legend. Mississippi State basketball legend? Yes. Don't laugh. State had a coach named Babe McCarthy back in the '50s and State won some SEC basketball championships back then.

Bailey Howell went on to play in the NBA for 12 years and earned admission to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He played for the Detroit Pistons and Boston Celtics. But the thing to know about Bailey Howell is that he is a class act who was known for his basketball skill and work ethic both as a basketball player and as a person.

I hadn't thought of Bailey Howell in a long time, but noticed that he was Bailey Howell's son-in-law when I read one of Scott Stricklin's on-line bios.

Bailey Howell was a great one and played in the NBA when it was interesting to watch.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Just an interesting sidelight is the fact that Scott Stricklin's father-in-law is Bailey Howell. Who is Bailey Howell? He is a Mississippi State basketball legend. Mississippi State basketball legend? Yes. Don't laugh. State had a coach named Babe McCarthy back in the '50s and State won some SEC basketball championships back then.

Bailey Howell went on to play in the NBA for 12 years and earned admission to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He played for the Detroit Pistons and Boston Celtics. But the thing to know about Bailey Howell is that he is a class act who was known for his basketball skill and work ethic both as a basketball player and as a person.

I hadn't thought of Bailey Howell in a long time, but noticed that he was Bailey Howell's son-in-law when I read one of Scott Stricklin's on-line bios.

I feel like I'm reading a sports encyclopedia sometimes when I log in.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
"Married to former Anne Howell, the youngest daughter of Basketball Hall of Fame member Bailey Howell. The couple has two daughters, Abby and Sophie."
I get the feeling a new baseball stadium or some other horse**** waste of football money is in the offing.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@bobcarskadon: Mullen on Stricklin: "We've won more games than Florida has the last six years ... No wonder they want him and people are coming after him."

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

I just read that this morning. Bailey was a super star in his day and probably the only MSU one I can take off the top of my head. My dad will like this trivia. EVERYTHING Ive read about this guys says home run. God help us if he does not get the next SOS or Urb or Bear Bryant here............or his name will be SH#T.................

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And it certainly led to huge success with the football program. On one or two of his years there, they actually finished second-to-last in the SEC West instead of dead last.
Don't be ridiculous. They beat Arkansas every year. I think they also consider themselves East champions for those years but pretty much every team in the west does. Let's face it, they are all better than Missouri.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@bobcarskadon: Mullen on Stricklin: "We've won more games than Florida has the last six years ... No wonder they want him and people are coming after him."
Boy... Mullen really does appear to have a complex doesn't he? I suppose knowing that MSU is the best he'll ever do... and it's probably downhill from there will do that to a fella...

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
What I like about Strickland is he did 5 times more than Foley did (facilities wise) with half the budget. That's especially huge since we're so far behind!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Am I the only one that thinks Foley will eventually have to be forcefully removed from the building, probably screaming the whole way?
:dunno: I think you might have mentioned it a time or twelve... :)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Boy... Mullen really does appear to have a complex doesn't he? I suppose knowing that MSU is the best he'll ever do... and it's probably downhill from there will do that to a fella...
He desperately wanted our job and thinks we owed it to him. Hell he talks about us nearly as much as he mentions his big brother, Ole Miss.

Back on point with Stricklin: I will say that the new AD coming out talking about even more facilities improvements shows that we are on the right path at least.

I don't know how to judge ADs. It would be hard to be worse at choosing HBCs than Fooley.

I guess we will see.

Last edited:

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Ya'll don't reckon Strychnine will bring old Cousin Eddy here after he terminates the Mac experiment, do you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.