Scouting Report: Florida QB will dictate how young Michigan defense plays

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think we lose a close one because of the BS that's going on, but I'm still hopeful we can pull it out. I like what McCoy has to say about the OL and honestly don't think losing Callaway and Scarlett is a huge hit (yes, it's a hit...but combined they scored 9 TDs last year). I'm tired of discussing all the BS going on within the program...let's just go play some damn football!

This is a good write up on the game from Tom Luginbill (I subscribe to this brand new site - "The Athletic", it's still new so the content isn't great yet but they brought on a lot of good writers):

Scouting Report: Florida QB will dictate how young Michigan defense plays

https://theathletic.com//92202/2017...igan-defense-plays/?source=email?redirected=1

So much of the preseason attention for the Florida-Michigan opener has been focused on the transfer of former Notre Dame QB Malik Zaire and who will be the Gators’ quarterback. But what should be a bigger question for Michigan fans is how does this affect a Michigan defense that only returns one starter from a year ago?

It is my belief that Florida could play three quarterbacks in starter Feleipe Franks, Luke Del Rio and Malik Zaire and see who gets the hot hand. The challenge for Michigan’s defense the moment Zaire decided to transfer to Florida is it must prepare for two different versions of the Florida offense, and one may feature zone read/option principles. That really complicates matters.

Florida wants to be a multiple, pro-style, yet somewhat traditional offense that features a heavy run-first mentality with a focus on the off tackle power run game. A play-action pass game from within the pocket is intended to push the ball to intermediate and deep areas of the field. Franks and Del Rio are the two best fits for this style of play.

Here is Florida in a Pistol offset I formation that works well with Franks or Del Rio in the backfield:

FullSizeR2-1024x768.jpg

However, once Zaire enters the mix, this offense could quickly morph into more of a three- or four-wide attack, shotgun-based with the intention of using Zaire’s legs as much as his arm. Accounting for the quarterback in the run game presents an entirely different game prep for Michigan on defense.

Here is the one-back spread look Zaire can bring:

FullSizeR1-1024x768.jpg

To illustrate the two differences for Michigan’s approach on defense against Florida, envision how Michigan would play two teams they see every year in the Big Ten Conference — Michigan State and Ohio State. Think of one game plan vs. Michigan State which employs the same, multiple, I-Formation off tackle run game with a stationary QB under center and then imagine the eerily similar styles of Zaire and Ohio State’s J.T. Barrett and how both have to be accounted for as runners. The pocket will definitely move in the passing game to get Zaire on the move, which widens the field for the defense to defend.

The point is Michigan has seen this before, but you generally don’t have to prepare for both schemes in one game. Michigan defensive coordinator Don Brown knows he’ll be youthful and inexperienced across the board, but the good news is that whichever QB is in the game, that player will trigger which plan they go with.

Michigan will likely employ more zone concepts with Zaire in the game. It is very difficult to account for the quarterback’s legs in man coverage, especially when attempting to defend zone-read or option principles, because you are down a man in the box. Plus, it is imperative that defenders don’t have their backs turned in coverage if Zaire takes off and runs.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wp-media-theathletic-production/app/uploads/2017/08/31213643/zairereadoption.mp4
Michigan, given its inexperienced personnel, is much better equipped to handle the traditional version of Florida’s offense rather than the off tackle run game, because the strength of this defense is the strongside combination of DE Rashan Gary and DT Maurice Hurst. Gary, the No. 1 recruit in the high school class of 2016, showed flashes of greatness a year ago and is expected to anchor this defense as a sophomore. Expect Michigan to keep things simple on defense until it gets a feel for who is under center and how they are being attacked.

For all of the players the Gators are lacking in this game, Florida coach Jim McElwain knows has one advantage going into this game: Michigan has been forced to prepare for far more than it would have thought prior to Malik Zaire’s arrival this summer.

Michigan freshmen to watch
WRs Tarik Black and Donovan Peoples-Jones: These two could not have arrived at a better time. Peoples-Jones headlined Michigan’s 2017 class and was the No. 2 WR in the national class overall. Michigan lost all three of its top pass catchers from a year ago, and the combo of Black and Peoples-Jones will be expected to lessen the drop-off in production. Both players are big, fast, explosive and strong. Michigan likes taller, more physical players on the outside, and both offer these traits. Michigan is hoping that what they lack in experience, they can make up for in playmaking ability.

DT Aubrey Solomon: The third-ranked player in Michigan’s 2017 recruiting class will find himself in the rotation and likely see increased playing time as the season progresses working with Brayn Mone and Maurice Hurst. He’s a disruptive force in the front, was a key focus for Michigan in this most recent recruiting class and has made a favorable impression thus far.

DE Luiji Vilain: Vilain was the sixth-ranked defensive end in the 2017 class, and if he wasn’t underdeveloped physically, he likely would have been top three. He has made a big splash in fall camp as a designated pass rusher (DPR) and is only going to get bigger and stronger. Don’t be surprised to see him coming off the edge in Week 1 on third down.

Florida freshmen to watch
CB’s Marco Wilson and Shawn Davis: Florida is thin at corner, especially with the loss of Marcell Harris at safety. That could place Chauncey Gardner back at safety after practicing at corner last spring. Expect Wilson, who is long and lean and can run, to start. This may be a move more out of need than readiness, but the reality is Michigan will be featuring rookies at wide receiver as well. Davis will be in the rotation and expected to play early.

OT Tedarrell Slaton: Expect him to fill an immediate need for depth. As the season wears on, don’t be surprised if he is counted on more and more.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like what McCoy has to say about the OL and honestly don't think losing Callaway and Scarlett is a huge hit (yes, it's a hit...but combined they scored 9 TDs last year).
9 TDs? That's probably half of our total last year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think Callaway is the only real big hit because defenses have to account for him more than our other receivers. Perine isn't much of a downgrade at all to Scarlett and can actually block a little bit. The O line will determine if we can run the ball decent in this game and if Michigan does shut the running game down Scarlett wouldn't have changed that just like he didn't against FSU and Bama.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think Callaway is the only real big hit because defenses have to account for him more than our other receivers. Perine isn't much of a downgrade at all to Scarlett and can actually block a little bit. The O line will determine if we can run the ball decent in this game and if Michigan does shut the running game down Scarlett wouldn't have changed that just like he didn't against FSU and Bama.

If they are shutting our run game down I imagine we'll bring in Zaire and open things open w/ the read-option....hopefully that will work. But honestly, if our OL gets man-handled it's going to be rough going this year. Michigan has a stout DL, but they aren't the best DL we'll see all year and 3 of them are new starters (same can be said of our DL).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If they are shutting our run game down I imagine we'll bring in Zaire and open things open w/ the read-option....hopefully that will work. But honestly, if our OL gets man-handled it's going to be rough going this year. Michigan has a stout DL, but they aren't the best DL we'll see all year and 3 of them are new starters (same can be said of our DL).

That # 73 (Hurst) scares me the most in this game when it comes to running on them. Watching him on tape he is pretty impressive.

The right side of the O line has me nervous about this game some because Johnson looked mediocre against a 250 lb. walk on in the spring game and Taylor still struggles some with speed looking at the spring game. I am really scared of seeing Johnson having to block # 73.

I hope we do try some read option if they are stuffing our running game early.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
That # 73 (Hurst) scares me the most in this game when it comes to running on them. Watching him on tape he is pretty impressive.

The right side of the O line has me nervous about this game some because Johnson looked mediocre against a 250 lb. walk on in the spring game and Taylor still struggles some with speed looking at the spring game. I am really scared of seeing Johnson having to block # 73.

I hope we do try some read option if they are stuffing our running game early.

Well, I'm hoping all this talk we've been hearing about the OL is true (there was a great article w/ quotes from McCoy). A year older, bigger, stronger....and hopefully better coached. McCoy talked about them being "tougher" this year, which is good. Big Fred does need to get his sh*t together. But he did beat out Jordon and Riles, so that's promising (unless Riles and Jordon just stink). I think we'll be okay on the OL and hopefully Franks can get rid of the ball quickly to avoid the rush and blitzes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. Big Fred does need to get his sh*t together. But he did beat out Jordon and Riles.
As judged by the same people who thought Dillard and Jordan were ahead of McCoy.

I dont know what Fred does well other than being big.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I'm hoping all this talk we've been hearing about the OL is true (there was a great article w/ quotes from McCoy). A year older, bigger, stronger....and hopefully better coached. McCoy talked about them being "tougher" this year, which is good. Big Fred does need to get his sh*t together. But he did beat out Jordon and Riles, so that's promising (unless Riles and Jordon just stink). I think we'll be okay on the OL and hopefully Franks can get rid of the ball quickly to avoid the rush and blitzes.

I am still wondering how Fred beat Jordan out. Jordan isn't that good but his fundamentals are pretty good and I don't remember him ever being a turnstile like Johnson was at times. Hopefully they might consider a change if things go downhill fast because Johnson is getting tore up. Then if there is an injury you just move Jordan to that spot and put Johnson back in.

I am hoping for the best but I think we will have an average O line at best with a good LT and C. Average is still a lot better than last year however where the 2 real good defensive lines we faced destroyed us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.