SEC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2017

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
SEC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2017

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2017

Florida

florida-gators.png

“They’re going to drop off on defense. It’s kind of an obvious thing to say, but they’re losing a lot of players who played a lot of football."

"They’ll have to invent some things to rush the passer this year, and I’m not sure if they can because Randy Shannon likes to keep things simple. It’s a lot of pieces to replace, and the biggest thing they won’t be able to do is just rush four every time. When we played them, I think they blitzed us three times, and they could do that because they could just whip you with the front four and they can’t do that anymore."

"The linebackers don’t scare you at all."

"Marcell Harris (now out for the 2017 season) has turned into a good player. He’s long, physical, gets guys on the ground and he’s grown up a lot, but he doesn’t frighten you like Keanu Neal roaming in the back end."

"Duke Dawson played at nickel last year, and if you weren’t good in the slot, your slot’s not getting open against that guy, but are they going to have to move him outside to account for (Teez) Tabor and (Quincy) Wilson leaving?"

"They’ve recruited well on defense, but not great."

"This is a make-or-break year for them on offense. They need a QB and everybody knows it."

"Antonio Callaway is a damn good player, and he has had some issues. Their top three receivers are all really good players, and (C’yontai) Lewis and (DeAndre) Goolsby are good tight ends."

"The way they change their offense week to week and the number of formations is an issue. It’s hard to replicate during the week because you know you’ll see something you haven’t seen before.”

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I expect to see a drop off on the D similar to 2007. Let's hope the O can do some out scoring.

giphy.gif

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Some of that is probably right but I disagree on getting pressure on the passer. We have some lighter quick DEs who can get to the QB but our problem is going to be when we play physical teams that will run the ball right at you. They are going to be trying to take advantage of that big time.

As far as the young linebackers they were allowed to play downhill mostly after all those injuries but got torched a bunch. LSU, FSU and Bama ran all over our D line and our LBs for a bunch of yards even while they played downhill mostly. We have to hope they are a lot stronger this season to hold up to that.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, who did we only blitz 3 times last year?

I am thinking that is Kirby Smart talking about us again since the team lost to us and we didn't blitz much. Pretty sure it was him last year also with the LDR is just not an SEC level QB talk since he saw him there while at Bama.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I took that as the opposing coach talking positively about our offense, w/ the formation changes....being an "issue" for his (the opposing) defense. Not an "issue" for our offense.
Obviously that's how it was presented.

It's also something that is an additional burden on the offense to prep every week, and with the obvious failures we had in execution it follows that it didn't work out well for us.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Obviously that's how it was presented.

It's also something that is an additional burden on the offense to prep every week, and with the obvious failures we had in execution it follows that it didn't work out well for us.

Agreed, it seems they were too busy trying to get cute before the snap to actually do anything once the ball was snapped....which may or may not have led to our 14th ranked SEC offense.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I took that as the opposing coach talking positively about our offense, w/ the formation changes....being an "issue" for his (the opposing) defense. Not an "issue" for our offense.
It was a screw up. That's actually Mac's comments...

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah, he knew that. ...but why bypass an opportunity to trash the Gators?

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
"They’ve recruited well on defense, but not great."

Thanks Muschamp :rolleyes4:

"The way they change their offense week to week and the number of formations is an issue. It’s hard to replicate during the week because you know you’ll see something you haven’t seen before.”

Said no coach ever....
everybody knows exactly what Nuss/Mac will call.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They are just playing mind tricks on Nuss to think he's fooling the opposition when in reality he isn't doing ****

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed, it seems they were too busy trying to get cute before the snap to actually do anything once the ball was snapped....which may or may not have led to our 14th ranked SEC offense.
:cry:

It's still hard to see 14th ranked offense.

Even harder to think we brought back that OC.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
"This is a make-or-break year for them on offense. They need a QB and everybody knows it."

That's "brick-by-brick, takes 5-6 years" Butch Jones right ther.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Henderson is going to be one of our starting CBs.

I look for him and/or Wilson to get plenty of play time this year, either could earn the starting spots. I like Gardner at safety. He's a ball hawk.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I look for him and/or Wilson to get plenty of play time this year, either could earn the starting spots. I like Gardner at safety. He's a ball hawk.

Yeah. He's built like a safety. Makes more sense for him to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator