SEC v. Big 12 Challenge

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well I figured a thread on this would be nice.

UF kicked it off Friday night edging OU in gymnastics.

So far in the basketball matchup:

1. UF at home beat Baylor 1-0 SEC
2. TexTech won at SoCar 1-1
3. UGa fell at KSU 1-2
4. UAL at home beat OU, tough weekend for OU, 2-2
5. UTx at home beat Misssissippi, 2-3
6. Vandy at home beats TCU, 3-3
7. UTn wins at ISU, 4-3
8. KU wins at home againt aTm, 4-4.
9. UAR at home edges OK State, 5-4.
10 UK wins on the road at UWVa, 6-4.

I believe this is the first time the SEC has won a majority of games in this challenge.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well it is 4-4 and the two games left are:

1. Ok State at UAR, Ok State is leading in the first half.
2. UK at UWVa.

The SEC needs one to tie and a sweep to win the challenge.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
As it was last year, it is up to UK to get the SEC a win in this matchup. They didn't get it done last year and they are down by 10 tonight at UWVa.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Yeah, I never know quite how to feel when they are the last game in this challenge.

I just hope for good games - don’t really care if Kentucky wins. Our worst case as a league is 5-5 today and the probable best team isn’t even playing (Auburn).

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
SEC goes 6-4 and one of its best teams didn’t participate. Should be a good day for the leagues RPI.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
SEC goes 6-4 and one of its best teams didn’t participate. Should be a good day for the leagues RPI.

Yep in principle is should help the SEC get more teams in the tourney. I suspect however the biggest help for the SEC might be the crowd interest at UAL and other places where crowds in the SEC can be sparse. Even though fan support is not suppose to matter.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Yep in principle is should help the SEC get more teams in the tourney. I suspect however the biggest help for the SEC might be the crowd interest at UAL and other places where crowds in the SEC can be sparse. Even though fan support is not suppose to matter.

Not like a watershed moment or anything but OOC games against P5 teams weigh heavily in the selection process. Might help with seeding discussions or if a team is borderline bubble. I’ve seen a prediction of up to 8 SEC teams in the tourney... that’s nuts!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Not like a watershed moment or anything but OOC games against P5 teams weigh heavily in the selection process. Might help with seeding discussions or if a team is borderline bubble. I’ve seen a prediction of up to 8 SEC teams in the tourney... that’s nuts!

Last year this challenge was a tie, 5-5. The SEC got 5 out of 14 teams in the tourney and the Big 12? got 6 out of 10 teams in the tourney.

Of course the SEC won the MOST games of any conference in the tourney, tied with the ACC, despite the ACC, 9, Big 10?, 7, Big East, 7 and Big 12?, 6, all having more teams in the tourney than the SEC.

It remains to be seen, if winning the challenge will help. My informal observation is that caring more gets more teams in your conference in. I can think of twice where I think UF got screwed out of a bid, but UF fans unlike those at say Zona either don't care or are being what I call feaux objective and do not object. So the committee oils the squeaky wheel.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SEC SEC SEC SEC!! It was predicted that the SEC would MAYBE win 3-4 games...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.