Shane Matthew’s Podcast: the Gators suck

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
For those of us that endured the late 80s, 1990-1992 were incredible relief. And he was the QB. So he’ll always be pretty high in my book. He does, though, seem to have a fairly narrow view of what UF football should look like. That’s what taints his comments. Doering and a few others as well. I don’t agree with them, but I kind of get why they see things that way.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I honestly don't have anything against Mathews, but December of '92 was when I came out of the Army from a couple of years in Korea......hadn't had opportunities to watch games back then, came home and this was the first game I saw of the Gators since Galen Hall. So that interception is LITERALLY all I remember of Shane Mathews.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I honestly don't have anything against Mathews, but December of '92 was when I came out of the Army from a couple of years in Korea......hadn't had opportunities to watch games back then, came home and this was the first game I saw of the Gators since Galen Hall. So that interception is LITERALLY all I remember of Shane Mathews.

I can understand that perspective, but that wasn’t mine. I remember SOS warned us ‘92 was going to be rough based on personnel we had. Particularly, with two true freshmen OTs starting, nobody gave UF much of a shot. Getting to the inaugural SECCG was an accomplishment by itself. Keeping eventual MNC bamuh within reach until that late 4th Qtr int said a lot about the HBC’s ability to coach up his players and to call plays.

Shane was a HUGE part of some awesome highlights during ‘90-‘92.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

He was pretty quiet as a Freshman, before Spurrier. But once he found the right scheme, he was throwing it all over the yard. Even in 92, a bad year, he helped us beat uga in an upset, by scrambling form a crucial late first down to keep the chains moving.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Those 2 years in Korea - you missed all the fun the Army was having (Just Cause & Desert Storm)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Those 2 years in Korea - you missed all the fun the Army was having (Just Cause & Desert Storm)

I’m still trying to figure out how he couldn’t watch any games for two full years simply because of being out of the country. I guess technically he never specified which Korea he was in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator