Shane Matthews comments on Feleipe Franks

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Shane Matthews on Feleipe Franks: ‘Just because Feleipe was a four-star recruit doesn’t mean he’ll pan out’

http://gridironnow.com/shane-matthews-feleipe-franks-pan-out/

Signing four- and five-star quarterbacks is one thing. Developing them is another. Look no further than the issues with Florida quarterback Feleipe Franks, a former four-star recruit.

How’s that working out?

Franks, a redshirt freshman, was one of the top five pro-style quarterbacks as well as a national top-60 prospect overall in the 2016 recruiting cycle. He has yet to live up to the expectations. Will he ever live up to them?

Monday, on his daily radio show on ESPN 98.1 FM – 850 AM WRUF in Gainesville, former Florida quarterback Shane Matthews shared his concern with co-host Brady Ackerman, who is a former Gators running back. The discussion began with Matthews expressing his disappointment in Franks’ development.

“There’s a process that you kind of put quarterbacks through from a fundamental standpoint and mental game,” Matthews said. “Some can handle it. Some can’t.”

Matthews used an interesting comparison.

“If we’re taking Statistics 101 together, I might be better at grasping what the teacher is saying than you,” he said. “That has nothing to do with being a four-star or five-star recruit. Either you get it or you don’t.

“Just because Feleipe was a four-star recruit doesn’t mean he’ll pan out. Nothing against the kid, but I don’t know. We haven’t seen enough. I don’t know if we will see it.”

Florida fans saw it with Matthews, who signed in 1988 during the tail end of the Galen Hall era. When Steve Spurrier was hired after the 1989 season, Matthews was buried on the depth chart. But Matthews took to Spurrier’s offense – you might say he grasped what the teacher was saying – and became a three-year starter who helped ignite Spurrier’s Fun ‘n’ Gun offense. Matthews didn’t have exceptional arm talent but he did have a high football IQ.

Part of Spurrier’s brilliance was understanding how to attack opposing defenses’ weaknesses. More important, he taught quarterbacks such as Matthews, Danny Wuerffel and Rex Grossman how to do the same.

Franks may have been able to get by in high school with his size and cannon arm, but that’s not enough now. He began the season as the starter, but was benched in the opener, then lost his starting job to Luke Del Rio. After Del Rio was lost for the season with a broken collarbone, Franks got his job back. He struggled Saturday against LSU, and there were times against the Tigers when it seemed as if Florida’s best option was to insert Kadarius Toney and let him run the wildcat.

I don’t want to get too negative, but the wildcat should not be an option in Gainesville. If Jim McElwain can teach his dog to play the position, as he claimed at his introductory news conference, he should be able to get some production out his pupils.

Then again, if the entire class is failing Statistics 101, maybe that’s a teaching problem.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
You could have said the same thing about just about every QB who has played here since Tebow... that they just didn't "get it." However, suddenly they went elsewhere and "got it" just fine.

We haven't developed much at QB here at UF in a long time. Hell, I would say the last one is Tebow and I don't think he developed at all past his sophomore year. You could count Grier if you wanted, but why give yourself that sort of.

Here are the Florida QBs who have developed into decent QBs since Tebow's sophomore year... all 4 transferred away:
-Cam Newton (one of best college QBs of all time)
-Brissett (garbage when he was here then improved immensely and made an NFL roster)
-Driskel (garbage when he was here then improved immensely and made an NFL roster)
-Grier (Good chance he ends up going to make an NFL roster)

My common sense prediction at this point s that Allen or Corral gets the start next year and it's another complete and utter sh*tstorm. Franks will transfer to another school where he will be all-conference and end up being a solid backup QB on an NFL roster. That is the most likely outcome.

Not sure what my point was with this post. I think I just needed to get my rage on.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I'd love to be able to bet anyone on that staff that give me the offseason and the film room with him and by next year he will look like a completely different QB (in a good way). Yeah, I said it. the bet would be 2 season tickets for life and not in the nose bleed section.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The bottom line is that Mac is SUPPOSED to be a QB whisperer that can develop a young QB quickly.
So exactly when will we see the progress from all the great teaching Feleipe has gotten for nearly two years now?

If you recall, Mac refused to play Franks last season because "It will stunt his development to be thrown to the wolves before he is ready."
I can't speak for you but Franks still looks like a guy playing for the first time and the wolves are all over him.

I refuse to blame Feleipe because Mac knew what he was getting and he and Nuss have not helped him hardly at all.

Ask yourself this question.........Would Franks or any other UF QB struggle like this if SOS was coaching them?

Didn't think so.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Unless Franks makes big strides I hope they play Corral next season if he is a true freshman that can pick things up decent. Heck the true freshman QBs on Georgia and A&M are doing alright now. The one at A&M looks like a few more games and he will be a big threat. Unlike Franks he has been showing improvement after a terrible first outing against UCLA.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You could have said the same thing about just about every QB who has played here since Tebow... that they just didn't "get it." However, suddenly they went elsewhere and "got it" just fine.

We haven't developed much at QB here at UF in a long time. Hell, I would say the last one is Tebow and I don't think he developed at all past his sophomore year. You could count Grier if you wanted, but why give yourself that sort of.

Here are the Florida QBs who have developed into decent QBs since Tebow's sophomore year... all 4 transferred away:
-Cam Newton (one of best college QBs of all time)
-Brissett (garbage when he was here then improved immensely and made an NFL roster)
-Driskel (garbage when he was here then improved immensely and made an NFL roster)
-Grier (Good chance he ends up going to make an NFL roster)

My common sense prediction at this point s that Allen or Corral gets the start next year and it's another complete and utter sh*tstorm. Franks will transfer to another school where he will be all-conference and end up being a solid backup QB on an NFL roster. That is the most likely outcome.

Not sure what my point was with this post. I think I just needed to get my rage on.

I think your point is germane only to the extent that your point is Grier. I guess with Brissett and Driskel it is worth reminding UF fans that bad coaching can hold back a QB. Grier was here under this staff but also pretty good here under this staff. Newton does not factor in here as he likely would have been good here under Meyer had Newton not committed such a heinous act in college that he had to go.

Here are Grier's career stats so far:

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2017 119 189 1740 63.0 9.21 76 16 4 6 164.0
2015 106 161 1204 65.8 7.48 77 10 3 13 145.4

Grier has thrown a few more passes this year at UWVa than he did at UF and he is in a better offense behind a better OL. Still his QB rating going from 145.4 to 164.0 is no more than normal progression.

Also I would point out that similarly Driskel only improved a bit going down in competition to LaTech. Brissett's numbers at NCSU look very much like his numbers at UF. Brisset's QB rating his last season at UF was 134.9 in only 35 passes while his QB ratings throwing the ball ten times as much at NCSU were 136.7 and 130.3. So these guys did not exactly tear it up after leaving UF, except Newton who would have been good here too.

Matthew's point to start this thread still holds. Some guy will not develop at QB. This is why you need to sign a bunch of them and find the one who can best help you win.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The rate limiting step in our dilemma is this coaching staff, you have eyes and ears and enough years of watching football... we have no motivator nor confidence builder nor innovator.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Right now, I'm thinking Corral redshirts (if his commitment sticks). Largely in part to trying to give him time to develop and adapt to the college level. I'm not saying it's the right move - in fact, he's probably better developed than the half dozen QBs we have on the roster today. However, it would not surprise me in the slightest to see him redshirt. Which, if we happen to be stuck with Nuss for another year, may actually work out to be a good thing in that a year of eligibility won't be wasted under that idiot, and he'd have the full four years under someone competent at developing QBs. Heck maybe even a new HBC.

I'll admit I'm getting Allen and Trask mixed in my head, so I don't have a lot of expectation on Allen. However, I could see next year be a stumblefck of a year between Franks and Allen while Corral gets the redshirt.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly don't know why corral wants to come here. I mean has he actually seen a Mac coached team and offense?

:deadnanner:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, yes and no.

The trick is to put a player who literally can't throw at "wildcat", and then have the non-run-threat QB who he's replacing lined up at wide receiver.

Check mate, my friend.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator