Shane Matthews: Roper reminds me of Spurrier

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I mean, I remember last year, and well the year before to be honest, all the inside guys saying at practice the gators just never jelled offensively. That driskel had another unspectacular practice, over throwing receivers, receivers not getting separation. It's completely different this year. A lot of these guys won't pump sunshine just to do it but it's a huge rarity to hear that driskel hasn't been on target, hasn't been super crisp and precise, hasn't been a leader. It's definitely different this year. We have numbers on the oline to be stable there, lack of actual playing depth sucks, but numbers are good. You can be a cynic all you want, but we were told pre season the last few years by people watching we just weren't that impressive and a lot of us tried so hard to spin it as well the potential is still high for it to click. Now, the potential is there in all areas, and it's being shown in fall practice for the first time in a long time. I'll hold my breath that we'll be able to keep score with bama and Georgia, but having a much improved team doesn't seem far off.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Slevin said:
I mean, I remember last year, and well the year before to be honest, all the inside guys saying at practice the gators just never jelled offensively. That driskel had another unspectacular practice, over throwing receivers, receivers not getting separation. It's completely different this year. A lot of these guys won't pump sunshine just to do it but it's a huge rarity to hear that driskel hasn't been on target, hasn't been super crisp and precise, hasn't been a leader. It's definitely different this year. We have numbers on the oline to be stable there, lack of actual playing depth sucks, but numbers are good. You can be a cynic all you want, but we were told pre season the last few years by people watching we just weren't that impressive and a lot of us tried so hard to spin it as well the potential is still high for it to click. Now, the potential is there in all areas, and it's being shown in fall practice for the first time in a long time. I'll hold my breath that we'll be able to keep score with bama and Georgia, but having a much improved team doesn't seem far off.
So are you just going to stick with that avatar? :suspect:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Slevin said:
I have one to put up I've just been lazy

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Slevin;n32489 said:

I remember the same sunshine from most websites last year as this year. I hope it is a 100% turnaround but they were saying how accurate Driskel was and all the rest in camp in 2013. About the only thing you would occasionally hear is when the defense was allowed to bring it the offense struggled some passing - about the same we are hearing this year. I think most sites pump sunshine a little more than they should to stay in good graces with the football program.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n32549 said:
I remember the same sunshine from most websites last year as this year. I hope it is a 100% turnaround but they were saying how accurate Driskel was and all the rest in camp in 2013. About the only thing you would occasionally hear is when the defense was allowed to bring it the offense struggled some passing - about the same we are hearing this year. I think most sites pump sunshine a little more than they should to stay in good graces with the football program.

Driskel missed most of fall camp last year with an appendectomy, and at this time last year there were at least 4 other starters on offense either out for the year already or not expected to return til week 2-3. This year is noticably very different (in a good way) from last year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n32577 said:
Driskel missed most of fall camp last year with an appendectomy, and at this time last year there were at least 4 other starters on offense either out for the year already or not expected to return til week 2-3. This year is noticably very different (in a good way) from last year.

Not much from the articles. They were saying mostly good stuff just like this season except you heard about Jones sickness etc. Driskel was getting good marks when he did play in camp from the websites.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp better hope that Roper is like Spurrier if he wants to keep this job.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Gator Fever;n32578 said:
Not much from the articles. They were saying mostly good stuff just like this season except you heard about Jones sickness etc. Driskel was getting good marks when he did play in camp from the websites.
Maybe I really don't remember the good remarks though. I remember over shooting the deep ball and under throwing and throwing the ball behind his receivers a lot. It was chalked up to rust and that it could work itself during the season. I really don't remember anyone being overly optimistic on the qb.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
At this point, it all just sounds like blah, blah, blah. I'm so sick of all the speculation and ready to see it on the field. Let's do this!
What exactly were you expecting to find logging into a message board a week before kickoff :)

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Slevin said:
Gator Fever;n32578 said:
Maybe I really don't remember the good remarks though. I remember over shooting the deep ball and under throwing and throwing the ball behind his receivers a lot. It was chalked up to rust and that it could work itself during the season. I really don't remember anyone being overly optimistic on the qb.
A few comments on it but also how he improved - about what you are hearing this year. I just want to see it. We can start by dropping around 50 on Idaho.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just hoping he doesn't have a speed bump, otherwise known as a Will Muschamp, in his way when he's trying to call plays. Maybe Muschamp should be blindfolded and gagged when we are on offense.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Slevin said:
I agree with your preseason talk.. Last year had a real eerie feeling about it that turned out to be true... Not so this year...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n32577 said:
This is a good point. Driskel finally gets a full fall camp in . His soph year he was splitting reps with brisset.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Damn it our db's can't catch!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Or we must not be doing any redzone drills

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Or we must not be doing any redzone drills
Sorry for the failed attempt of humor

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator said:
Edgar Thompson ‏@osgators
#Gators safety Jabari Gorman said QB @jeffdriskel has not thrown an interception the entire training camp.
That was on the 1on1's I believe. Also a lot of the int's from all 3 Qbs were tipped balls,but I also thought I remembered a couple.However , Fever and his conspiracy theories aside, all the reports I've read have talked about his improvement in accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator