Show recommendation thread

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm about half way through season 2 (of 3 seasons) of Mr. Inbetween on Hulu. It's funny AF. It's about an Australian hit man, sort of a dark comedy. Short episodes (like 30 minutes). The lead character is dry, but the sh*t he does will crack you up. He's unassuming, so being a hit man/tough guy makes his character more comical (plus the accent). He likes to stop and get "dimmies" as a snack (dimsum).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wife and I started The Righteous Gemstones (HBO max). Danny McBride, John Goodman, and a few other faces you'd recognize - they are a big religious family w/ a huge congregation, scamming money, sex, drugs, etc. Funny AF (we've watched 3 episodes so far) - 2 seasons.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’m I the only one disappointed with the teenage drama queen turn 1883 has taken? I get that she is the narrator but I’m really not buying the latest turn of events in her love life, which has become way to much of the story IMO..

In my best southern bell voice…

“This land is harsh. Each rock filled step less compromising than the last. I often wonder if we’ll ever see another human out here. But if we do, I suspect I’ll bang him as well.”

upload_2022-2-22_21-38-50.jpeg

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
In my best southern bell voice…

“This land is harsh. Each rock filled step less compromising than the last. I often wonder if we’ll ever see another human out here. But if we do, I suspect I’ll bang him as well.”

"I move on from my indigenous love for now... searching for any other BIPOC to bolster the wokeness of this series. There! A China-man working on the Transcontinental railroad! I feel a stirring in my loins coming on...or is it the Vapors, I know not which"

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wife and I started ZeroZeroZero (4 episodes in), pretty good so far. I could do without all the sub-titles (we get it, they're Mexican & Italian - but since it's a US/Amazon show I'd prefer they do that for the first few scenes then go to straight English lol).

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the new season of Dexter. Pretty entertaining. Its been 10 years since he faked his death and has a new life way up in the great white north. Then one day a character from his past comes to town and everything changes. It ends just as it starts getting to be too much, which is something the original series should have done about one season earlier than it did. And although it definitely 'ends,' you can see a possible spinoff scenario, I'll just leave it at that.

Swampy!

Aug 3, 2018
I'm about five episodes in to Vikings Valhalla on Netflix. If you're familiar with the original VIkings series, this takes place about 100 years after the death of Ragnar Lothbrook. There are plenty of references to the original series. It is also the introduction of Leif Ericson.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I was disappointed with the new Dexter. Just finished it

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
A primer on the world of the Witcher if you're interested.
Yes, I have too much time on my hands.
First it stars Henry Cavill who is a big fan of the books/game so he absolutely nails the character. His love interest is a smoke show named Yennifer, a mage. The third main character is Ciri, a young princess who has immense power but doesn't no how to control it.
A "conjunction" occurred in the past that allowed creatures from other dimensions to cross. This is how monsters (and humans) end up in the world. In order to fight the monsters mages experiment with humans and monster blood (mutagens) to create Witchers who are faster. stronger etc. Something like 9 out of 10 boys die during the treatment but the ones that survive are able to tolerate the potions they take that would kill humans. Potions are made from monster mutagens and come in different flavors. So if facing a poisonous monster the witcher takes an anti-poisoning potion. If injured he can use a healing potion. etc. Because the potions are toxic they cause the witcher's eyes to go black which you see happen in the show. And if they take too much they could die. The potions all have names which won't mean anything unless you've played the game but it's cool to hear them call them out when you know what is what.
In addition to the potions a witcher is also taught "signs". The signs thing is really interesting to see played out in the show when you know what they're doing. I watched both seasons, then played the game, then rewatched and it was like watching a new show.
A witcher has five signs. It seems that the signs are also used by other magic practitioners.
IGNI - fire. Anything from lighting a candle to a flame thrower. The "fire ****er" in the second season was big on igni.
YRDEN - a magic trap. yrden will stop a monster who relies on magic. In the S2 finale you hear Gerald asking Vessimer to use yrden to control Ciri.
AXII - Jedi mind trick
QUEN - a protective shield. Again you see it used a lot in the finale.
AARD - a telekinetic blast that knocks opponents back.
A compilation of signs:

Yennifer throws an orgy

If you like those two clips you'll love the show.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Even though the news has been on since the invention of TV, I’ve found the last 2 seasons to be too far out there.

The Biden character they have playing President is so unrealistic. Then they introduce the Covid Plot line, which is just way over the top.

Now, the USSR is back, and is starting an unprovoked war. Didn’t they just make a poor remake of Red Dawn. The News didn’t need to make “Red Dawn 3: Operation Ukraine.”

Really disappointed with The News lately, it’s just not believable, but I guess I’ll watch it.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Even though the news has been on since the invention of TV, I’ve found the last 2 seasons to be too far out there.

The Biden character they have playing President is so unrealistic. Then they introduce the Covid Plot line, which is just way over the top.

Now, the USSR is back, and is starting an unprovoked war. Didn’t they just make a poor remake of Red Dawn. The News didn’t need to make “Red Dawn 3: Operation Ukraine.”

Really disappointed with The News lately, it’s just not believable, but I guess I’ll watch it.

Funny, not funny. :(

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve watched Yellowstone from the very first episode.
If Costner was remotely close to his character, John Dutton he could run for President.
Ironically, his character is now running for Governor.

1883 is an impressive first series for Faith Hill and, Tim McGraw pulls off a tough guy character as John Duttons Great Grandfather?.
“I ain’t no Fuching farmer”

I also watched all seasons of Ozark.

I’m early in season one of “The 100”
Netflix
About an aging space station where many evacuated to after a nuclear war ruined earth. As oxygen and supplies are finally running out after years in orbit , they send 100 criminal teenagers back to Earth to see if they can survive.
Starts slow but it’s picking up in episode 3 and 4

I’m also hooked on this dang silly show called “The Ranch”
Sam Elliott is a lifelong rancher and Reagan supporter that hates all things liberal. His Youngest Son returns after a stint as a College QB at…. FSU (Ashton Kuecher)
Debra Winger as the liberal Mom
Sort of funny
Sort of dramatic
A lot of sillly jokes and a lot of F bombs.
Addictive

Wifey and I weirdly loved this show as well. At the start of Covid we were hard up for new shows and tried it and loved it so much we’ve watched it twice now. Definitely mindless dumb humor but it was great

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the new season of Dexter. Pretty entertaining. Its been 10 years since he faked his death and has a new life way up in the great white north. Then one day a character from his past comes to town and everything changes. It ends just as it starts getting to be too much, which is something the original series should have done about one season earlier than it did. And although it definitely 'ends,' you can see a possible spinoff scenario, I'll just leave it at that.

I really liked the new season until the end…sucked

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Billions
Dopesick
Dexter...Good but not as good as the original

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I really liked the new season until the end…sucked

both of my sons were/are huge Dexter fans and my nephew named his son Dexter.
All three agree with your premise.

And apparently this same premise also applied to the original season.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think its ever easy to finish off a long running series. What is the best ending to a series that you guys remember? Its hard to think of one off the top of my head.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I don't think its ever easy to finish off a long running series. What is the best ending to a series that you guys remember? Its hard to think of one off the top of my head.

Breaking Bad always comes to mind - from the suspense, the perfect wrap up to the two main character's relationship and, of course, the perfect song to go along with it.

The Wire - good wrap up as well.

For the older ones-
Mary Tyler Moore show ending was very good and I thought the Seinfeld ending was pretty good too.
Bob Newhart show... great ending.

Sopranos? Still can go either way with that one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.