SI article on the 2017 UF coaching search

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Pretty good read here, if you believe all of it:

Dan Mullen, Chip Kelly, Scott Frost and the Coaching Search That Re-Made Florida Football
Four years ago, Scott Stricklin faced a massive decision. Plagued by an internal struggle, this is the story of how he and the Gators settled on the coach who has brought them back to the national spotlight.

The Coaching Search That Re-Made Florida Football

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
“I tried really hard to find alternatives,” Stricklin acknowledges nearly four years later. “I was really hoping Chip would be interested because I didn’t want to hire Mississippi State’s coach.”

Wow so Strick never even wanted Mullen, interesting. Where do we go now?

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
“I tried really hard to find alternatives,” Stricklin acknowledges nearly four years later. “I was really hoping Chip would be interested because I didn’t want to hire Mississippi State’s coach.”

Wow so Strick never even wanted Mullen, interesting. Where do we go now?
That just sounds to me like Strick didn't want to poach his old school's staff. If he dint want Mullin, he would have looked elsewhere when the Chip offer fell through.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He did, he was looking to get Scott Frost after the Chip Kelly deal fell through.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That just sounds to me like Strick didn't want to poach his old school's staff. If he dint want Mullin, he would have looked elsewhere when the Chip offer fell through.
:lmao2: Sure, it was just a Winter Color tour for the ADs. They always wanted to go to New Hampshire in the fall. Ole Dipshtt Dan was the choice all around.

And 3 or 4 losses and 6th in the SEC recruiting isnt "back in the national spotlight" unless you mean people continuing to laugh at our ongoing shttshow.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Gators, 2–0 and ranked No. 11, are big underdogs, having lost much of the talent that helped coach Dan Mullen start his career by winning more games at UF (29 wins over 35 games) than any coach in school history, even ahead of Urban Meyer and Steve Spurrier.

:lmao2: This has to be the most fuchstarded spin of all.

Yeah SOS went 9-2 in 1990 and "won" the SEC championship but for the probation. Even he didnt win as kuch as 10-4 Dan Mulkins. :lmao2:
Then won SEC championships in 1991 and 1994.

Thank God for the NCAA adding two more cupcake games to prove Dan Mulinz is the best ever.

At least Dan Mullinz won this:
7613f739260875.jpg

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
“It’s been a hard ticket to get. Alabama hardly ever comes here,” says Pat Dooley, the longtime columnist at the Gainesville Sun who is now retired. “It’s been circled on the calendar.”
:lmao2: What do you think? 30% Trailerbammer? 40%?

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Its been a terrible hire from the start. Every win has seemingly been lucky and don't even feel like wins at all. Also the losses have been bad losses and feel like more. Like we lost 4 games but it felt like 8 losses. Just no end in sight and no way to get out of this funk.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
My takeaway from that is Chip Kelly and his girlfriend made Stricklin and his team of AAD their little b!tches. They had to go get drunk on a Tuesday at lunch to be able to come to the conclusion of hiring Mullen. And sure does seem like they got an axe to grind with Frost.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This whole article is quite "insightful" as to how the Lost Decades continue.

This AD isn't close to ready for a big time job if this shtt is true. But what do you expect when you keep hiring box office ticket salesmen and have a search committee of paper pushers who don't know the first thing about football.

Frost was the hottest name in the cycle. Nebraska, his alma mater, was searching for a coach as well.

The Saturday morning call ended with Frost telling them he’d call back after he finished with a staff meeting.

“We are still waiting for his call,” snickers one committee member.
:lmao2: Jeebus. This is what has become of us thanks to our fuchstarded AD office.

Remember when Bob Stoops, the #1 DC in the Big 12, couldn't even believe that SOS would call him?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My takeaway from that is Chip Kelly and his girlfriend made Stricklin and his team of AAD their little b!tches. They had to go get drunk on a Tuesday at lunch to be able to come to the conclusion of hiring Mullen. And sure does seem like they got an axe to grind with Frost.
We've all done that, gotten drunk and banged that ugly, hunchbacked chick in the corner no one else wanted.

Most of us were smart enough not to brag about it or make her rich.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dis gonna be a good thread :popcorn:
The pre-emptive roll out of "look how good you have it" the week before the latest Trailerbammer blow out? Uh huh.

The BEST UF coach eva!!!!!! Trust us.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen became the first coach in FBS history to win two New Year’s Six bowl games

:lmao2: I love how they act like the playoffs don't exist and that NY6 isn't the modern equivalent of the Outback Bowl!!!! The destination for the teams that finish 3rd and 4th in the SEC.

:lmao2: Jeesus what a spinathon.

They know what is coming this week and hoping to diminish the nuclear seat.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t believe half the so-called details in this article.
The article lost me when they said we’re back in the national spotlight AND when Buddy Martin called the Alabama game Saturday the biggest game in program history since the Spurrier era. What?

Hey Buddy, time to join your friend Pat Dooley in retirement because you have lost touch with reality.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
:lmao2: I love how they act like the playoffs don't exist and that NY6 isn't the modern equivalent of the Outback Bowl!!!! The destination for the teams that finish 3rd and 4th in the SEC.

:lmao2: Jeesus what a spinathon.

They know what is coming this week and hoping to diminish the nuclear seat.
If you want to give Mullen credit for winning the Orange Bowl he lost at Mississippi State in 2014 and count the 2015 Belk Bowl as an NY6 bowl, all the while denying that Saban and Dabo in reality won two apiece those same years, yeah, I guess Mullen is the first. Sometimes you need alternative facts to support a contrived statistic.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
The article lost me when they said we’re back in the national spotlight AND when Buddy Martin called the Alabama game Saturday the biggest game in program history since the Spurrier era. What?
Don't ask for clarification. He may only be remembering the Spurrier player era, and that just makes it worse.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am now convinced that Mullen will be the head coach as long as Strickland is the AD, which could be a long time. :bananaburn:

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Give him credit, the author tried to make the story more interesting by jumping around from place to place, and back and forth in time.

He failed. Boring story.

TL,DR version: People from Mississippi are morons* and Scott Strychnine is the farthest thing from an exception to that rule.

1. SS is dumb for hiring Mediocre Mullen at UF.

2. People in Mississippi are dumb for being pissed off at SS for "stealing" Mediocre Mullen.

3. SS is doubly dumb for being distraught about the fact that dumb people in Mississippi are mad at him because of his dumb move of hiring Mediocre Mullen at UF.

4. Chip Kelly, who chose not to get involved with the Strychnine Sh*tshow, is not dumb.

*No offense to any valued posters here who are also morons from Mississippi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.