Some game observations

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Finally brought myself to watch some of this crap again. Just watched a few highlight tapes since there are no quick all plays videos out there yet that I could find so this is what I noticed on Michigan's big plays on offense and defense.

When our offense was out there I saw a defender blow right past Taylor a few times. Taylor may be strong but he has issues with the real fast rushers.

Michigan actually backed their people off a few times in the 4th quarter when the ball was snapped but their 4 man rush was still getting right back to the QB very fast. I didn't notice it during the game but they did blitz a DB a few times leaving a receiver running free initially but we never did anything to counter it and they just ran free to the RB or QB depending on who had the ball.

The few times the view allowed you to see down the field it did appear their DBs were right there with our receivers who weren't getting much separation. It also appeared they literally knew some of our plays ahead of time based on their movement when the ball was snapped.

As far as our defense went most of those big runs seemed to happen because the DE didn't set the edge and got caught inside. I think I saw Polite do it a couple of times and Zuniga and Jefferson also got us killed a few times because of that. Not really sure what the responsibility of a DE is on those usual passing downs when it comes to that. If they are supposed to take that big inside angle before they know if it might be a run.

It also really stuck out how bad our DBs were out of position on a couple of plays when they went to protection and sent a couple of WRs deep.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As far as our defense went most of those big runs seemed to happen because the DE didn't set the edge and got caught inside. I think I saw Polite do it a couple of times and Zuniga and Jefferson also got us killed a few times because of that. Not really sure what the responsibility of a DE is on those usual passing downs when it comes to that. If they are supposed to take that big inside angle before they know if it might be a run.

Things may have changed since I played in the big leagues (NW Boy's Club), but when I played DE, I was told it was my responsibility to make sure nobody got outside of me. It was my job to set the edge and force everything to the inside. I was damn good at it too. The only way they got past me was to go through me, which they did often because I was only 5'4 and 120lbs at the time. :lol:

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
There were a number of times they ran an inside stunt with the DE, often, the DT was WAY slow getting to the edge. Not sure if the safey or LB was to come up, or it was an unofficial stunt

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
There is a reason myself and some others have been saying since last season Taylor is not a tackle, he is a guard. He is built like a guard and he sux against edge rushers as has been mentioned numerous times. Same reason Ivey was awful at guard b/c he is built to be a tackle. Although yesterday he was horrendous. But Butters knows best.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Im watching part of the BYU/ LSU game and Ill tell you right now, if we dont find a way to stop the run better its going to be a long day vs them. They are running at will.

Of course if we can actually you know score points offensively that would help too.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So you willingly watched that garbage a second time? Once was bad enough. I doubt the coaches will even watch it again.

That said I agree with your write up. Taylor struggled pretty bad.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
So you willingly watched that garbage a second time? Once was bad enough. I doubt the coaches will even watch it again.

That said I agree with your write up. Taylor struggled pretty bad.

Our coaches need to watch it non-stop for 3 days so they'll learn, for the first time, some details about what went wrong time after time after time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator