SOS Discusses The Worst Loss Of His Coaching Career

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I put that Nebraska game on our defensive players mostly. Our D line was not shedding blocks good at all and our LBs and safeties were letting 210 lb. Tommie Frazier constantly run for 1st downs on those short yardage plays because they couldn't tackle to save their lives that game. If they just wrapped Frazier up a little we would have held them short on a lot of drives earlier in that game.

If you want to know the story of that game just look at Frazier's 75 yard TD run. He should have been stopped for a few yards but we whiffed on like 5 tackles. There was one point where like 3 Gators let him run right through their pathetic attempts at a tackle.

Not sure how many of those defenders were back in the 96 season but it was probably a good thing we didn't play a team with Nebraska's system for the championship again unless the players just got way tougher the next year..

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
I put that Nebraska game on our defensive players mostly. Our D line was not shedding blocks good at all and our LBs and safeties were letting 210 lb. Tommie Frazier constantly run for 1st downs on those short yardage plays because they couldn't tackle to save their lives that game. If they just wrapped Frazier up a little we would have held them short on a lot of drives earlier in that game.

If you want to know the story of that game just look at Frazier's 75 yard TD run. He should have been stopped for a few yards but we whiffed on like 5 tackles. There was one point where like 3 Gators let him run right through their pathetic attempts at a tackle.

Not sure how many of those defenders were back in the 96 season but it was probably a good thing we didn't play a team with Nebraska's system for the championship again unless the players just got way tougher the next year..

The crushing loss coupled with Bob Stoops did make the D much much tougher in '96.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
This is the game that first came to mind. 99' against Bama is up there as well. We lost in OT on a missed XP.
Of course Bama missed their one as well, but Alexander was offsides giving them another attempt.

If I remember correctly, we also muffed a punt inside the 20 with just a few minutes left in the game that Bama converted for the tying TD and if we just wouldn't have fielded the punt, we run the clock out when we take over at the LOS.

The other thing I believe I remember correctly is that had we beat Bama that game, we would have knocked them out of the West race and wouldn't have rematched against them in the SECCG, which we lost badly.

**EDIT**- I was 1/2 right. Darrell Jackson fumbled late like I noted but it looks like Bama would have tied Missy State at 6-2 in the West but Bama held the head to head so they would have played us again from what I can see.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The crushing loss coupled with Bob Stoops did make the D much much tougher in '96.
No defense can be a tough defense while running a soft zone prevent ("just keep it in front of you!"), which both Zook, Pruett, and Hoke always did.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Spurrier deserved a ton of blame for what happened vs Nebraska, after the first 2 drives the Corns figured out that all they had to do was blitz, SOS never adapted and almost got Danny killed, in fact he didn't adapt until the Sugar Bowl after fsu did the same stuff.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Spurrier deserved a ton of blame for what happened vs Nebraska, after the first 2 drives the Corns figured out that all they had to do was blitz, SOS never adapted and almost got Danny killed, in fact he didn't adapt until the Sugar Bowl after fsu did the same stuff.

That beating actually began in Atlanta, a game earlier. We may have blown out the hogs, but they got a ton of shots on DW, and slowed us down a lot more than what the final score indicated. By the end of the game, he was bleeding badly from his chin, and it gave a far superior NU team the perfect blue print for stopping us.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The best ideas are someone else's. The blueprint was there. SOS not going to the gun or keeping an extra blocker in were obvious mistakes.

I will say that the steroid/weight program that NU was on was far superior to ours. Their lineman tossed our guys around all game. The missed tackles weren't just because of poor form. They destroyed us.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Yep that gets forgotten because they ran all over us so bad.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If I remember correctly, we also muffed a punt inside the 20 with just a few minutes left in the game that Bama converted for the tying TD and if we just wouldn't have fielded the punt, we run the clock out when we take over at the LOS.

The other thing I believe I remember correctly is that had we beat Bama that game, we would have knocked them out of the West race and wouldn't have rematched against them in the SECCG, which we lost badly.

**EDIT**- I was 1/2 right. Darrell Jackson fumbled late like I noted but it looks like Bama would have tied Missy State at 6-2 in the West but Bama held the head to head so they would have played us again from what I can see.

Yep. One of the few errors I can remember DJ making in his time here. And just so we're clear i'm not talking about the knucklehead under center.
That Milons dude and Alexander killed us in both games. They also had a huge tackle that really whipped Alex Brown.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Yep. One of the few errors I can remember DJ making in his time here. And just so we're clear i'm not talking about the knucklehead under center.
That Milons dude and Alexander killed us in both games. They also had a huge tackle that really whipped Alex Brown.

It was even more a shame because Jackson had a huge game that day other than the muffed punt It's a shame it went to waste with the loss.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

Yeah but winning that game likely changed the trajectory of Bama's season big time. Who knows how they end up if we pull that win out and hand them a heartbreaking defeat. I want to say their coach at the time Dubois was on the hot seat and may not have survived much longer at Bama had their season not turned out the way it did.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Yeah but winning that game likely changed the trajectory of Bama's season big time. Who knows how they end up if we pull that win out and hand them a heartbreaking defeat. I want to say their coach at the time Dubois was on the hot seat and may not have survived much longer at Bama had their season not turned out the way it did.

You're correct, maybe they lose a few more conference games had we closed the deal.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe then Spurrier just demanded that Foley let him go after whoever he wanted, cause Spurrier had the program rolling at such a high level. Why do anything that would derail that. At that time I think our facilities were top notch we were paying Spurrier as much as any coach. Somewhere around that time I remember Spurrier flirting with going to the Buccaneers,but turned them down. Maybe Spurrier used leaving to the NFL as a bluff to get who and what he wanted. Who knows, but something definitely changed in Foley in the coming years when it came to $$ and he turned into a cheap bastard. I still remember Urban wanting an indoor facility when he got here and Foley wouldn't get one.

That flirtation with the bucs was six years prior to this event after the '95 season. It was a natural inclination at the time but also one he chose to decline.
The only thing SOS was guilty of was winning and popularity. The problem was we had an interim president from UCLA that was too busy banging his trophy wife to give a crap about a job and a program that he was using as a parachute into retirement.
Given that he was an interim president, the AD should have taken the lead and pursued the issue with FSU through the media. Instead, he too only worried about the impact on himself versus the greater good of the program and the gatornation..

One can only speculate about what would have happened to our football program had SOS gotten any support. All I know is that the program has never, and I mean never, been the same in the 15 years that have passed,

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We got physically manhandled by a steroid-laden bunch of Nebraska goons. That UcheaT loss stung.

**** you Bin Laden, may you rot in hell.

As for all time losses, nothing tops that god damned Lindsey Scott mother ****ing bull**** cocksucking damn sonofabitch play in Jax....

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
That flirtation with the bucs was six years prior to this event after the '95 season. It was a natural inclination at the time but also one he chose to decline.
The only thing SOS was guilty of was winning and popularity. The problem was we had an interim president from UCLA that was too busy banging his trophy wife to give a crap about a job and a program that he was using as a parachute into retirement.
Given that he was an interim president, the AD should have taken the lead and pursued the issue with FSU through the media. Instead, he too only worried about the impact on himself versus the greater good of the program and the gatornation..

One can only speculate about what would have happened to our football program had SOS gotten any support. All I know is that the program has never, and I mean never, been the same in the 15 years that have passed,

What event do you think I'm referring to? I'm confused. Spurrier did consider going pro in the mid 90's. My quote was about the acquisition of Bob Stoops from a power 5 program and how Spurrier seemed to have more pull back then than recent coaches have had as far as getting what they want, and maybe using going pro as leverage to get what he wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.