SOS reflects on his upcoming death

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
It happens to all of us, even the legends.

As we grow older, as some of our siblings and boyhood friends and high school teammates and college buddies begin to pass away, we start contemplating our own mortality.

Maybe you’ll get ready to make a phone call and suddenly realize that Billy passed away three weeks ago.

Or maybe you’ll be on the golf course and remember that this is the hole where Sammy somehow chipped in for an eagle at the Bob Dooley Invitational charity golf tournament six months before he had the fatal heart attack.

Or maybe you’ll come across an old photograph, and get a pang in your gut and a tear in your eye because you’re the only one in the picture who’s still living.

“A lot of my buddies are starting to go,” Florida Gators legend Steve Spurrier, 78, says. “It makes you start thinking your day’s coming, too, so you better get as much living in as you can while you can.”

Get as much living in as you can while you can.

Sort of reminds you of the classic country song by Tim McGraw, “Live like you were dying.”

“And I loved deeper. And I spoke sweeter. And I gave forgiveness I’d been denying.

“Someday I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying.”

This is a lesson for everybody — old or young — and one that has hit home for Spurrier more and more during the last few weeks in the wake of two of his best friends and former Gator teammates passing away.

First it was Bill Carr, the former UF All-American who was Spurrier’s center when he became the first player in state history to win the Heisman Trophy in 1966. Carr, who would go on to become UF’s athletic director, passed away Feb. 3 at 78 and Spurrier spoke with him just before he died.

“When I visited him, he was somewhat upbeat,” Spurrier recalled. “He always called me Orr. That’s my middle name. And I always called him Willie C. William Curtis Carr was his name. It seems like we all had a nickname back then. But he said, ‘If it’s my time to go to heaven, I’m ready. I am prepared.’ He almost could see it in the future, seemed like.”

And then a few days ago, Allen Trammell, the former Orlando insurance executive and perhaps Spurrier’s closest friend, passed away at 81 after a long battle with Parkinson’s Disease. Trammell, a former UF football player and assistant coach and a star on the Gator baseball team, left behind three adult children (Allen, Michael and Shannon) and wife Charlotte

Excellent story about SOS and Trammell.

Attachments

• 1708886926662.png
    1708886926662.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A little hokey but cool to read some early Spurrier stories.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
“Better get in as much living as you can “ Amen Brother Steve
redemption sake GIF

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Life is a short trip, be happy!
Love those you share time with!
Don't have a lot of "I should of..."!
Remember, "No one walks away from life"!

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I was at my best friends sons wedding, he married the daughter of one of the silver sixties stars. I'm having a drink and I am introduced to Allen Trammell and I say 'it's so nice to meet one of my Gator legends". AT looks at me and says "excuse me, I went to Alabama", after a very uncomfortable short period he looks at me and just starts to laugh. That was Allen Trammell. Great Gator, better man.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the baseball player when I read Trammell. So there's an Alan and an Allen.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Excellent story about SOS and Trammell.
Great article, coach. Having been diagnosed with Parkinson’s last fall, facing decline and so on definitely sharpened my appreciation for every family gathering, opportunity to serve/help etc.

(My symptoms are mild and intermittent. Docs expect I’ve got 15 years+ at this stage based on my general health and progression thus far. I’m 62 and in very good shape.)

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Great article, coach. Having been diagnosed with Parkinson’s last fall, facing decline and so on definitely sharpened my appreciation for every family gathering, opportunity to serve/help etc.

(My symptoms are mild and intermittent. Docs expect I’ve got 15 years+ at this stage based on my general health and progression thus far. I’m 62 and in very good shape.)
Theo,
Some GCMB love and we all hope you beat the “expectants” (you’re a Gator after all!) and continue to annoy folks here for another 30+ yrs.

HumbleGator

Nov 4, 2017

Theo, continue to live your best life! Sending an abundance of well wishes your way; you got this.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Sorry to hear. I think we’re going to see huge strides in the next 10 years with gene therapy. I hope this is one of them that gets fixed.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Live you life so you can truly say :

Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you grave for me:
Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
And the hunter home from the hill

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He always messes with my titles. I find that one disgusting and disrespectful.......but that's just me............
Corch, we all have impending death.

You and SOS are just closer than most.

Hell, Im REALLY surprised I have lived this long.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.