Sources: UF & Chip Kelly working on contract details

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, notice I used the word "limited". I didn't say abandon it altogether. And please, tell me how the product that Mac put on the field increased revenue and fundraising? Oh, attendance is still down. People don't want to give money for embarrassing products? Oh, it's gone so far that I have seen multiple people calling for a boycott of all things UF until changes are made (before Mac's firing)? Yea, there is a lot more to it than just schmoozing. Hell, Meyer after a few years wasn't even doing his Thursday show or Sunday highlight shows. I'm for some schmoozing, but again, if we have to limit it, fine. Why? Because, as a CEO or management or whatever, it doesn't matter how good your connection is if people aren't buying your product. Tell me that's a lie, and that Schmoozing makes up for losing money. Go ahead, do it.

Here, Truth is speaking the "truth." I'm Secy/Webmaster of the Savannah Gator Club. Although one of our members, Paul Ewaldsen, played what was then known as Split End with Spurrier back in the 60s, and knows him quite well, we had no "pull" in getting SOS to be our guest speaker for our annual banquet. But we DID get Spurrier (and Zook, FWIW) assistant coaches to be our guest speakers (Dixon came several times). The last coach we had as a guest speaker was brand-new OC Dan Mullen in 2005 (no, I'm not supporting him for HC, I'm using him to make a point).

Shortly after that, we got word from UAA that unless you were a "big" in-state club, or Atlanta GC (they're so big, they might as well be in-state), NO HC, and no assistant coaches to out-of-state GCs. Meyer would only go to the "big" in-state clubs & Atlanta, and the assistants would only go to in-state clubs (despite that Savannah is a heck of a lot closer to UF than, say, Sarasota). Why? Because Meyer's kids were young and he didn't want to travel. Most of the assistants had young kids and didn't want to travel. HC and AC speaking engagements were significantly curtailed in the Meyer regime, and it has stayed that way.

So what's my point? Even though Kelly is divorced (according to his Wikipedia page) and probably doesn't have teen-age kids living with him (did he remarry? Wikipedia says no), it sounds like he wouldn't want to go out and glad-hand the Gator Clubs any more than Meyer, Muschamp, of Mac did. Is that bad? No. If he's the guy, yes, he will have to make some appearances, and I'm sure he'll know that's a requirement.

But if he never comes to Savannah to schmooze with us, or schmooze with GCs all over FL, I don't give a rip. Just as long as (1) he wins (2) he does with an entertaining offense, and (3) he does it on the up-and-up with no NCAA violations.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Frost is actually my top option, but Chip is a close 2nd & if you can guarantee you get him now I think that's a move you have to make. We can't risk passing on Kelly & have him sign elsewhere & then whiff on Frost.
:faint: where did you come from?

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Frost is actually my top option, but Chip is a close 2nd & if you can guarantee you get him now I think that's a move you have to make. We can't risk passing on Kelly & have him sign elsewhere & then whiff on Frost.
Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.