Special Teams

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
I know it gets brought up in some of the threads but I truly don't feel like we are talking about ST enough. The ST turnaround has been phenomenal. Our kicking game has been very solid. Coverage and returns have been good. We've blocked some kicks (does anyone remember when we used to do that?) Overall we are lightyears ahead of where we've been and we are playing disciplined and motivated football during all of our special teams plays.

But overall I think the TN game was a great opportunity to examine our ST play. The kicking was perfect. Coverage was good. The onside recovery should not have happened, that was an incredible individual effort by Perrine. The punt inside the five set up the safety which led to a TD. We forced a fumble to start the second half which resulted in a TD. Bottom line is Mullen is doing a fantastic job with special teams.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fvkk you, Nord.

Pretty sure he's the highest paid special teams coach in the SEC.

I say that because he's still under contract or paying him this year also. 850k if I recall correctly.

Edit: sorry Nussdrunk makes 850k and Nord is making 420 k.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Fvkk you, Nord.

I say that because he's still under contract or paying him this year also. 850k if I recall correctly.

Wow! Don't think I've ever seen a pure bitterness non-sequitor before!

Though I don't disagree with the sentiment, I think it may be time to move on. That much anger and bitterness is unhealthy! ☺️

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
5075505.png

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wow! Don't think I've ever seen a pure bitterness non-sequitor before!

Though I don't disagree with the sentiment, I think it may be time to move on. That much anger and bitterness is unhealthy! ☺️
FVKK

NORD

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Millens is waking the boys up to the possibilities of what they can become........TIme to ignore the nordian days and embrace the Urban inspired special team emphasis.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Fair enough... Just saying it is unhealthy to dwell in the past when we have clearly moved on as a team. (Though, admittedly, it is easier to do that when you aren't still paying a king's ransom to the idiots who left in order to be able to get them replaced.)

Never forget Nord. NEVER!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Great special teams play seriously gives me the warm and fuzzies. Urbs changed my thinking. You don't necessarily need great athletes. You need a great mindset.

Why wouldn't everyone do that? It's one-third of the game.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Fair enough... Just saying it is unhealthy to dwell in the past when we have clearly moved on as a team. (Though, admittedly, it is easier to do that when you aren't still paying a king's ransom to the idiots who left in order to be able to get them replaced.)

As someone I knew once said "it is just paper" now it really should have been "it is just cloth" as money is not really paper.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Great special teams play seriously gives me the warm and fuzzies. Urbs changed my thinking. You don't necessarily need great athletes. You need a great mindset.

Why wouldn't everyone do that? It's one-third of the game.

Meyer definitely took it to the next level. But I remember some great ST's during the mid-90's too. Pretty sure it was '94 that Johnny X and that group seemed to block a punt nearly every game. They were fierce.

And if they didn't block one we'd see a return pretty regularly as well.

But yeah, it really does set the tone of the game and is a good sign that players are buying in and want to win.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Why wouldn't everyone do that?
I don't know. Some just use Walk-Ons out of convenience because it allows you to practice special teams at the same time you're practicing offense and defense. With the very strict 20 hour practice rules time is tight. Some don't useuse start on special teams because they don't want their starters getting hurt running all the way down the field and taking a big hit and getting injured.

I sure love the feeling under Leyer that every punt could be a game-changer.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know. Some just use Walk-Ons out of convenience because it allows you to practice special teams at the same time you're practicing offense and defense. With the very strict 20 hour practice rules time is tight. Some don't useuse start on special teams because they don't want their starters getting hurt running all the way down the field and taking a big hit and getting injured.

I sure love the feeling under Leyer that every punt could be a game-changer.
With football being a game about field position, you would think it would get equal attention. It just makes sense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
With football being a game about field position, you would think it would get equal attention. It just makes sense.
Sos really didn't care about field position. A long field was just more time for him to have fun.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Fvkk you, Nord.

420 makes sense since he was coaching like he was stoned out of his damn mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator