Sports potluck: Kap, Kuch & LeBron

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
With some football downtime(and my turn for the plague going around), I thought we could bloviate about some other ongoing sports topics...

1. Kap settles with NFL. Allegedly, for upwards of 60-80 million. Say what? Surprising. The only thing I can think of is someone found a smoking gun. Some dumb owner emailed another owner about not signing him. We'll probably never know.

2. Matt Kuchar el cheapos his caddie. He wins his tournament and promptly gives his caddie 5k. Then says that's fair given Ortiz's financial situation. Oops. He gets roasted internationally. Agrees to pay caddie 50k today and apologizes to everyone and anyone. The gentleman's game.

3. Lebron's team is now favored NOT to make the playoffs. I hate the Lakers and not much of a Bron fan. I think it is hilarious that LA paid out the nose for an aging superstar on the verge of breaking down a la Kobe. Way too many miles on his body and it's a young man's game. Did you think Magic knew what he was doing?

Bloviate...or not.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW, I think the NFL is really trying to move past all the damage Kap has done to their brand and paid to get rid of him. I dont watch the NFL but I hear they did much better with the superbowl this year. It seems they are trying to avoid anymore controversy and move past all the protest stuff.

Who knew, people just wanted to watch sports!

2. Dont care about golf
3. Dont care about Lebron

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NFL...meh. Similar to NBA. I do not waste my time with it. Much more exciting things to do. Work in the yard, house, visit with old folks, ....

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
With some football downtime(and my turn for the plague going around), I thought we could bloviate about some other ongoing sports topics...

1. Kap settles with NFL. Allegedly, for upwards of 60-80 million. Say what? Surprising. The only thing I can think of is someone found a smoking gun. Some dumb owner emailed another owner about not signing him. We'll probably never know.

2. Matt Kuchar el cheapos his caddie. He wins his tournament and promptly gives his caddie 5k. Then says that's fair given Ortiz's financial situation. Oops. He gets roasted internationally. Agrees to pay caddie 50k today and apologizes to everyone and anyone. The gentleman's game.

3. Lebron's team is now favored NOT to make the playoffs. I hate the Lakers and not much of a Bron fan. I think it is hilarious that LA paid out the nose for an aging superstar on the verge of breaking down a la Kobe. Way too many miles on his body and it's a young man's game. Did you think Magic knew what he was doing?

Bloviate...or not.

I doubt Kap got anywhere near $60+ million. Probably got closer to what Kuch’s caddie got than $60m.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No Fcks given.....

Go Gators!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Used to be a big NFL fan and even did Fantasy. Not so much anymore and Kap and the players supporting him was pretty much the last straw. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if 30 or so years from now it won’t be a case study in some business school of how the NFL killed the golden goose.
Kuchar’s mistake was getting sideways with PC police. Caddy was a Mexican; Mexican good, American bad. (Does Kuchar not keep up with news?)
Lebron going to the Lakers reminds me of when Jordan went to the Wizards, tho Lebron may have had a little more left in tank.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW, I think the NFL is really trying to move past all the damage Kap has done to their brand and paid to get rid of him. I dont watch the NFL but I hear they did much better with the superbowl this year. It seems they are trying to avoid anymore controversy and move past all the protest stuff.

Who knew, people just wanted to watch sports!

2. Dont care about golf
3. Dont care about Lebron

I stopped watching the NFL due to the Kap crap and I agree with your comments. The only difference of opinion is that Kap didn’t do nearly as much damage to the league as the league did to itself with it’s indecision. The NFL could have nipped this in the bud by taking a stance either pro-kneeling or against and either way the protest would have subsided. Instead they did nothing but pander to the mob and both sides remain angry. This is what happens when you have politicians in positions that require leadership.
I am not a Lakers or Lebron fan nor do I care about golf

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Panthers signed the kneeling false-narrative pushing thug to a 3 year deal. I'm no longer a Panthers fan. Having more Sundays free this past fall was a nice change.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So I suppose we'll see Kapernick donate all of that money to fight cops killing black citizens for no reason whatsoever?

I watch about 6 quarters/year of the NFL. The only thing that keeps me interested is watching former UF players succeed and I have a buddy that's a big Pats fan that forces me to watch a game or two with him.

----

Another topic:

Bryce Harper and Machado trying to get $30 million/season. Absolutely ridiculous. Luckily, here in DC, you can get tickets to Nats games for $10 (or less if you try). At some point do salaries level off? Sooner or later it has to. With people cutting the cord on cable these TV contracts aren't going to keep going up, are they?

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Another topic:

Bryce Harper and Machado trying to get $30 million/season. Absolutely ridiculous. Luckily, here in DC, you can get tickets to Nats games for $10 (or less if you try). At some point do salaries level off? Sooner or later it has to. With people cutting the cord on cable these TV contracts aren't going to keep going up, are they?

Regarding salaries and cord cutting, I doubt they’ll level off. I think they’ll keep growing nicely. While cord cutting is happening big tech companies like Amazon are stepping in and signing deals to stream pro sports. I think they’ll keep spending more & more so they have unique content to draw people to their platforms.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
the old white man anger is strong in this thread. it's more likely that the CTE issue will kill the NFL, not a bunch of old dudes misunderstanding one player's gesture

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if the settlement is less about Kap and Reid proving they were right (which with Reid having a contract and Kap having less than ideal NFL skills would be hard to prove) or the NFL after a really good League year, making Billions of dollars with an increase in revenue and ratings.. Just getting this over. The cost benefit of throwing these two men and more importantly their attorney's some cash to make it go away. The amount would be just a write off to their books, and will end any litigation that would happen down the line which would increase the cost to the league.

At this amount, it wasn't really a win for Kap and Reid, more likely the NFL just paying them to go away.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If he’d just cut his hair and dress more white, he’d have a job in the NFL.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Don’t take us old angry white guy’s word for it.
How about this guy?

Unrepentant hypocrite Colin Kaepernick defends Fidel Castro

I’m amazed at how stupid Kap and his ilk are.

“So after his first notable protest against what last week he called the “systematic oppression” of minorities in the United States, and saying he wants “freedom for all people,” Colin Kaepernick put on a T-shirt that featured a supportive image of one of the 20th century’s most enduring oppressors.”

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out how a black millionaire, raised by white people and paid by white men, has somehow been oppressed by white people...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator