Spring ball: Spring Scrimmage on Saturday

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
UF scored 30 points 7 times last year. The Muschamp teams scoring 30 points was a fantasy.
Muschamp games of 30+ by year:

2011 - 41-3, 39-0, 33-23, 48-10, 54-32 (all wins)

2012 - 37-20, 38-0, 31-17, 44-11, 37-26 (all wins)

2013 - 31-17, 30-10 (all wins)

2014 - 65-0, 36-30, 38-20, 34-10, 52-3 (all wins)

Tater games of 30+ by year:

2022 - 31-28, 33-38 (loss), 52-17, 35-45 (loss), 41-24, 38-6, 38-45 (loss)

2023 - 49-7, 38-14, 41-39, 36-39, 35-52 (loss), 31-33

So in summary, muschamp was around 5 games of 30 or more points per year and we won all of them.
Tater is around 7 per year and loses a couple of them.

Thanks for challenging me on this one old haus, now im even more convinced we are watching muschamp part deux minus the decent defense.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
yeah I remember mocking Mushchump and wondering what he would do if he ever got 10 points ahead of a team. Would he bring in the backup QB with such a solid lead? Totally different than Retawd Billy getting up 12 -0 versus Clowntown and going into stallball.
I don't know WTF you're talking about. You must be drunk as hell even earlier than usual.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

So in summary, muschamp was around 5 games of 30 or more points per year and we won all of them.

Thanks for challenging me on this one old haus, now im even more convinced we are watching muschamp part deux minus the decent defense.
If looking up all this nonsense caused you to waste your time (and there's no question it did), I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction out of it.

It's too bad there won't be a Chatter this season. Seeing you mope around and lash out after wins would have been hilarious. Some guys just disappear these days after Gator victories, you have angry tantrums and meltdowns. You had to be talked down from the ledge after we beat Tennessee last season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I simplified the O and D and everyone knew their job. they weren't great athletes. ....

Todd Grantham knows more about D than most every coach out there. That is evidenced by his scheme and the fact that NFL teams want him. Where he failed was in teaching a complicated scheme to college players who devote 20 hours a week to the process. Those players should already know how to line up without the sideline telling them. "If the O does this, we do this" based on their tendencies. Todd's teams played SLOW. some are just not cut out for the college game.

We have looked better overall on D last year, but we are seeing different types of mistakes. I hope that gets corrected this year.
Not really sure how we simplify. We run essentially five plays: inside zone, outside zone, jet sweep, WR screen, and hitch routes. Defense seems to be mostly 4-2 nickle 2 high, MOD, with very few wrinkles, mostly delayed LB/nickle blitzes. It certainly doesnt seem too complicated.

Going to agree to disagree on Fat Todd. He is a support staffer in NFL. Obviously I couldnt get that job, but the NFL isnt rushing to make him a playcaller and neither did Saban. You can draw up a NT covering the TE on a seam route, and double delayed safety blitz on a whiteboard, but it doesnt mean it works in the real world.... except against Cowbell's Mullen trained QB. FITZ!!!!

Some of his playcalling was nuts. Third & four and you are playing 4 high 12 yards deep? That is malpractice, period. And he ran that like 3/4 of the time.

Or maybe I just need sex with a Terminator to make it all make sense.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You SHOULD be drunk as hell even earlier than usual.
Nickelodeon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

All this proves is that the defense needs the most improvement. Thank you!
In case you didn't realize it, Tater will be our coach to start the season, so this wasn't a debate of whether he's the guy or not.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
All this proves is that the defense needs the most improvement. Thank you!
In case you didn't realize it, Tater will be our coach to start the season, so this wasn't a debate of whether he's the guy or not.
Absolutely agree on the defense. If you're scoring in the 30's you should be winning ball games.

:exactly:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If looking up all this nonsense caused you to waste your time (and there's no question it did), I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction out of it.

It's too bad there won't be a Chatter this season. Seeing you mope around and lash out after wins would have been hilarious. Some guys just disappear these days after Gator victories, you have angry tantrums and meltdowns. You had to be talked down from the ledge after we beat Tennessee last season.
3 minutes of my time b/c this stuff is readily available. i notice you didnt rebut any of it.

ive never had a melt down over a win. i was pretty irritated after that 2022 loss to UT where tater went full freaking retard and showed us his true colors. i dont think i even posted during this past tennessee game. i remember watching and thinking, "wow, we dont suck today. this is nice." i also remember not being able to move the ball at all in the 2nd half but chalking it up to being up and playing it safe. finally i remember beating SC this past year and being one of the few on the board that was telling people to relax when the majority were torching tater for his sht defense. i remember specifically telling a few people to save the negative posting for a loss, but this was a win so lets enjoy it (of course we go on to lose every game thereafter in embarrassing fashion, just like the previous year). But to sum up, you're 0-2 but still my boy.

tater not being your football jesus christ has really broken you, my friend. perhaps if you hadnt lashed out incessantly at anyone who didnt sing his praises things would be easier to handle. we're all willing to forgive, all you gotta do is admit the truth:

"tater is a complete retard and I'm a tomato for ever believing in him."

Come on home Ox, before it's too late...

Come Here Dr Evil GIF

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In 86, days out of jump school and osut, my buddy and I were sent on a detail from Bragg to Pope AFB. We ended up eating there, too. It was so damn nice we were convinced we were in the officer mess accidentally. There were waiters for fuchsing E3s and E4s so we didnt have to get our drinks or carry our freaking trays. Wow.

Seriously though if I were talking to a young kid who just HAD to jump out of airplanes and wear a beret, I would send them to Air Force combat controller or PJ. Those guys have the life in barracks or on base, get whatever training they want to take as funding is basically unlimited, and kind of get their choice of assignments too. They're usually going where the hot stuff is and not stuck on a QRF.

Then again if you get in a battle supporting the Seals, they will leave you alone on a mountain and lie to claim that you were dead when they left you.
The combat controllers were like National Guardsman. They would come train with us and then go back to their real lives. They had it made.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Going to agree to disagree on Fat Todd.

Some of his playcalling was nuts. Third & four and you are playing 4 high 12 yards deep? That is malpractice, period. And he ran that like 3/4 of the time.

Or maybe I just need sex with a Sperminator to make it all make sense.
FIFY

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The reason every sees the 2nd year as the biggest improvement is players KNOW what they need / supposed to do and can play faster. 1/2 second faster is the difference between winning and getting blown out. What we saw in year 2 saddens me. We will see year 3 and if it looks like the last 2, its coaching.

I took a JV team that was getting blown out by 50 on a regular basis to losing by 15-20 in my first year. The second year we were undefeated conference champs and finished 7-2. The 2 losses were to bigger feeder schools but we beat our hated rivals for the first time in memory. Prior coaches were just going thru the motions. I simplified the O and D and everyone knew their job. they weren't great athletes. Had 30+ kids on the team, the most ever, but maybe 12-14 of them were football players. The key difference is they KNEW what to do and didn't looks to the sideline except to get a called blitz or a pass coverage. They knew if nothing was called, play the base D against the O formation and do your job.

Not worried about the new QB throwing late. While he is late, he is still figuring out the names of the receivers at this point.

A lot of times when Todd was here, we didn't know what to do, couldn't get lined up on time. Todd Grantham knows more about D than most every coach out there. That is evidenced by his scheme and the fact that NFL teams want him. Where he failed was in teaching a complicated scheme to college players who devote 20 hours a week to the process. Those players should already know how to line up without the sideline telling them. "If the O does this, we do this" based on their tendencies. Todd's teams played SLOW. some are just not cut out for the college game.

We have looked better overall on D last year, but we are seeing different types of mistakes. I hope that gets corrected this year.
Maybe we should try "32 Left" or "23 Right"... worked for us just fine in 8th and 9th Grade going 8-0-1 and 9-0-0 those two years. Hell, in 9th Grade, we even worked in a buncha bootlegs with Dan Enos as our QB. :dunno:

Last edited:

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Not really sure how we simplify. We run essentially five plays: inside zone, outside zone, jet sweep, WR screen, and hitch routes. Defense seems to be mostly 4-2 nickle 2 high, MOD, with very few wrinkles, mostly delayed LB/nickle blitzes. It certainly doesnt seem too complicated.

Going to agree to disagree on Fat Todd. He is a support staffer in NFL. Obviously I couldnt get that job, but the NFL isnt rushing to make him a playcaller and neither did Saban. You can draw up a NT covering the TE on a seam route, and double delayed safety blitz on a whiteboard, but it doesnt mean it works in the real world.... except against Cowbell's Mullen trained QB. FITZ!!!!

You are thinking I am saying something I am not. Knowing football and coaching football are 2 different things. I was fortunate enough to coach with a bunch of D1 players and a former NFL player. They knew the game, but couldn't communicate what they knew to the players. Talked way above their head. Had a D1 LB who played at a decent level tell out F/S he needed to come down into the box. This was a first year player. He stood there confused. Coach starts yelling at him to get in the box!!!! I knew what his problem was. Kid didn't know WTF the BOX was. I went over and explained it to him. Kid said "why didn't the MFer just say that?" It was the same for most of the positions. These guys were smart, but couldn't TEACH to where the kids understand it. A DE/DT twist stunt was hilarious. DE was like "what dis MFer mean I go in first and den he come back around my ass?"

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You are thinking I am saying something I am not. Knowing football and coaching football are 2 different things. I was fortunate enough to coach with a bunch of D1 players and a former NFL player. They knew the game, but couldn't communicate what they knew to the players. Talked way above their head. Had a D1 LB who played at a decent level tell out F/S he needed to come down into the box. This was a first year player. He stood there confused. Coach starts yelling at him to get in the box!!!! I knew what his problem was. Kid didn't know WTF the BOX was. I went over and explained it to him. Kid said "why didn't the MFer just say that?" It was the same for most of the positions. These guys were smart, but couldn't TEACH to where the kids understand it. A DE/DT twist stunt was hilarious. DE was like "what dis MFer mean I go in first and den he come back around my ass?"
Tough JV team!

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Then again if you get in a battle supporting the Seals, they will leave you alone on a mountain and lie to claim that you were dead when they left you.
In their defense, they had to hurry and get back to start writing a book about it.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Have we ever actually handed it off on a jet? I recall the 800 fake handoffs but can’t actually recall us running it even once . I think my favorite that you listed is what I like to call a Billy Bob special . All receivers run 6 yard hitch routes on 3rd and 12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator