Spring ball: Spring Scrimmage on Saturday

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Here it is. I wasnt a huge Mertz fan (looking at the stats) but this guy was spot on.

One other thing, the screen pass-a-thon isnt really something I remember from Slingblade. It ACTUALLY looked like Dan Mullen playbook and Im tempted to blame Billy G for doing that.

I dont have any idea what Callaway did. I just know he scored a lot of points and had a lot of passing yards at that D3 school.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The Gators football podcast, forget the name but the dude with the crazy hair did a podcadt focused on Mertz last year. I forwarded it to Ox, so he probably posted it.

His review was actually surprisingly good. He blamed most of the problems on horrific playcalling. Now, unfortunately he also noted that our OC is similiar in many ways. However, if we actually CALL some decent downfield plays, Mertz can hit them.

He has no arm strength problems though he isnt AR out there flipping his wrist for 70 yard bullets. And he is reasonably accurate. But when you are down by three scores and it is 3rd and 12, maybe you take more chances.

We cant run double play fake (tailback and jet) the have WRs running screens or hitches and blame the QB for not pushing the ball down field. When we DO actually run something vertical, it is usually a simple go route by 2 receivers only with the slot faking a jet. 2 WRs on 5 DBs is dumb dumb dumb always.
I agree he can probably do better than he's shown last year. The other problem which could have been more on the LT play was the inability to work down the field on the left side. If you noticed we probably threw to the right side of the field 80% of the time we tried to go more than 10 yards past the LOS...or at least with any success. Not sure if this was by design.....or just Karl.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
He gets a lot of heat for his hair.

CaseyGator

Ox’s Favorite Poster
Sep 13, 2016

Here it is. I wasnt a huge Mertz fan (looking at the stats) but this guy was spot on.

One other thing, the screen pass-a-thon isnt really something I remember from Slingblade. It ACTUALLY looked like Dan Mullen playbook and Im tempted to blame Billy G for doing that.

I dont have any idea what Callaway did. I just know he scored a lot of points and had a lot of passing yards at that D3 school.

theres something about mary 90s GIF

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
Couple notes: from yesterday’s scrimmage:

1. Safety DJ Douglas had a dominant game in yesterday’s scrimmage. 2 picks.

2. EWIII was dominant

3. Lagway is playing like a freshman. As expected. Mertz is the clear starter.

4. Safety group has been dominant all spring. Napier said secondary tackling is biggest improvement on team.

5. Jaden Baugh had biggest day for RBs. 3 TDs. Not surprising as he had a ton of them in HS.

I’m ok with DJ starting from USF until the rambunctious Rattlers (give him reps), then it’s Mertz time until the Tebow option vs UGAY for the most fun touchdown

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Couple notes: from yesterday’s scrimmage:

1. Safety DJ Douglas had a dominant game in yesterday’s scrimmage. 2 picks.

2. EWIII was dominant

3. Lagway is playing like a freshman. As expected. Mertz is the clear starter.

4. Safety group has been dominant all spring. Napier said secondary tackling is biggest improvement on team.

5. Jaden Baugh had biggest day for RBs. 3 TDs. Not surprising as he had a ton of them in HS.
4&5 awesome. Think we snagged two great RBs this cycle. 2, wondering about the picks.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

I think he means “Give Lagway as many reps as we can against Samford and anytime we’re winning easily” and “I can’t find my keys. Can someone call me an Uber?”

Oh... so USF and Rattlers means Samford. Got it.

I knew it was probably inadequate alcohol level on my part.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Florida Gators have huge day on defense and bright insight on DJ Lagway:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.