Spurrier in ATL

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I miss breakfast with the Gators too...I remember when they would start playing the games from the previous season during the summer...you knew football was right around the corner.
I don't want breakfast with these gators. I don't even want to watch it the first time.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Same here, hate the SEC network for taking that away and giving us non stop alabama garbage, they must have replayed the SEC title game from last year at least 500 times this summer.
Well, it's a channel for the conference and that was for the conference championship. Too bad we didn't show up...again.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You are never going to see a starting QB win 4 straight SEC titles ever again, therefore Danny > Tim for #2 by the slightest of margins.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don't want breakfast with these gators. I don't even want to watch it the first time.

It's not always going to be like this. We're in our down cycle. All programs go through it. Programs like UF or Texas should never have lost decades though. That's on Foley.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You are never going to see a starting QB win 4 straight SEC titles ever again, therefore Danny > Tim for #2 by the slightest of margins.

Dean was the QB in the SEC title game for that 1st one. In fact...he was the MVP.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Well, it's a channel for the conference and that was for the conference championship. Too bad we didn't show up...again.
If we ever win another SEC title game I guarantee it will be replayed once or twice.

The SEC network, much like the conference now, is the Alabama network and 13 cupcakes, if Alabama ever goes into a down cycle the network will fold up ;)

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If we ever win another SEC title game I guarantee it will be replayed once or twice.

The SEC network, much like the conference now, is the Alabama network and 13 cupcakes, if Alabama ever goes into a down cycle the network will fold up ;)
SEC football IS Alabama and the 13 cupcakes at this point in time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dean was the QB in the SEC title game for that 1st one. In fact...he was the MVP.
Leak was the QB in one of Tebow's two, but we generally give him credit for it also. Tebow was instrumental on so many 3rd and shorts, and Wuerffel many games leading to the SEC crown.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Leak was the QB in one of Tebow's two, but we generally give him credit for it also. Tebow was instrumental on so many 3rd and shorts, and Wuerffel many games leading to the SEC crown.

Was that year he came in for the Kentucky game? Or was that '94?

I fully credit Leak for 2006. Once Meyer changed the offense he played well for the most part and was absolute nails vs OSU(and that defense was pretty darn good too).

Was it you and I that hated Zook from day one? There was another poster besides myself that thought it was the worst hire ever. Got so much crap on the old board.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I fully credit Leak for 2006. Once Meyer changed the offense he played well for the most part and was absolute nails vs OSU(and that defense was pretty darn good too).
I don't know what you are remembering. After "Creyer changed the offense" (added Latsko) we had some semblance of a running game but our offense still sucked so bad that it almost kept us out of the NCG.

OSU was the only time they managed to use Leak and our WRs to their potential.

Was it you and I that hated Zook from day one? There was another poster besides myself that thought it was the worst hire ever. Got so much crap on the old board.
Hell, no. First I wasn't on the old board then, I mostly looked at Swampie's Rumormill. Second, damn near everyone hated Zook from his previous stint here.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know what you are remembering. After "Creyer changed the offense" (added Latsko) we had some semblance of a running game but our offense still sucked so bad that it almost kept us out of the NCG.

OSU was the only time they managed to use Leak and our WRs to their potential.

LOL. Gotcha. I know he didn't have running the option as much in 06. And we had more drop back passes. It was a good year and I loved laying the wood to Troy Smith and that dirtbag Tressel. Our dirtbag was better than their dirtbag.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Start at the 26 minute mark. That gets me fired up damnit! God bless SOS!

I regret I can only give one like to this post.

I was there that day, and it was electric. I ran the old VCR at the apartment to record the Sunshine Network broadcast while I was there in person. I think a roommate may have taped over it. I've never seen that celebration replayed on TV. The game, of course--but not this celebration.

For 20 years, all I've had is my (fading) memory. Lawrence Wright's chant...and Spurrier asking us all to do "we're number one" so all the Gators in heaven who never lived to see the day could hear us (not a dry eye in the house at that point).

Oh, and when Danny proclaimed his love for Jennifer, about 15,000 other girls named Jennifer all swooned at once (true story, Jewish girls joined Fellowship of Christian Athletes just to meet Danny).

Actually being at the game was, of course, incredible. Beating your arch rival in a revenge rematch for your first MNC...and trouncing them. But this celebration in the Swamp was so special. I saw us win all 3 football championships, and attended all 3 celebrations. This one was, I can't think of another word. It was special.

We didn't know it was going to be big. We barely got seats (sunshine seats at the top of the North Endzone). We were shocked that so many alumni made the trip, even though there was no game. They packed the place. It wasn't loud or raucous like a regular game-day crowd. It didn't smell like bourbon and bbq. It was glorious but subdued, it felt magical, so different from the feeling at the end of the game itself. It was a sense of relief and accomplishment, a noble, quiet pride, and the air was thick with the warmth of Gator Love. That's the word I've been struggling to come up with. It was full of Gator Love. Like there were no strangers in the stadium that day. Remember Lawrence Wright's chant? He called our rivals Gatorbait but he ended with a clearly unscripted and heartfelt "I love y'all". He felt it. We all did. I'm giving myself chillbumps remembering.

Alex.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

I was there that day, and it was electric. I ran the old VCR at the apartment to record the Sunshine Network broadcast while I was there in person. I think a roommate may have taped over it. I've never seen that celebration replayed on TV. The game, of course--but not this celebration.

For 20 years, all I've had is my (fading) memory. Lawrence Wright's chant...and Spurrier asking us all to do "we're number one" so all the Gators in heaven who never lived to see the day could hear us (not a dry eye in the house at that point).

Oh, and when Danny proclaimed his love for Jennifer, about 15,000 other girls named Jennifer all swooned at once (true story, Jewish girls joined Fellowship of Christian Athletes just to meet Danny).

Actually being at the game was, of course, incredible. Beating your arch rival in a revenge rematch for your first MNC...and trouncing them. But this celebration in the Swamp was so special. I saw us win all 3 football championships, and attended all 3 celebrations. This one was, I can't think of another word. It was special.

We didn't know it was going to be big. We barely got seats (sunshine seats at the top of the North Endzone). We were shocked that so many alumni made the trip, even though there was no game. They packed the place. It wasn't loud or raucous like a regular game-day crowd. It didn't smell like bourbon and bbq. It was glorious but subdued, it felt magical, so different from the feeling at the end of the game itself. It was a sense of relief and accomplishment, a noble, quiet pride, and the air was thick with the warmth of Gator Love. That's the word I've been struggling to come up with. It was full of Gator Love. Like there were no strangers in the stadium that day. Remember Lawrence Wright's chant? He called our rivals Gatorbait but he ended with a clearly unscripted and heartfelt "I love y'all". He felt it. We all did. I'm giving myself chillbumps remembering.

Alex.

Awesome post. I did not make the game but I was at this ceremony and you could hear the pride and joy in SOS's speech...not just for the players but for the fans. He really loved the fans. He was/is one of us...the hate for UGA...Tenn...FSU...Miami. He was not just a coach but a Gator through and through.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
upload_2017-8-21_0-32-29.png

Just great quote after great quote...God lead him to Gainesville.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Alex.

Probably your best post EVER.

Other than clinching our first official SEC title (vs ky) in 91, Gator dominance has occurred during my CG career. I've been away from FLA for all but 6 months of my 25 years. As an enlisted guy who's been supporting a growing family during that time, I've never had the disposable income to travel home for Gator games. It was pure luck that a visit home coincided with Billy's second NCAA trophy celebration - freaking awesome!

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Start at the 26 minute mark. That gets me fired up damnit! God bless SOS!

Caught the first few minutes before I had to deal with something else... will have to watch the rest. Got chills hearing "Heeeeeeeere come the Gators!!!"

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I had the video for years. The music at the beginning was perfect..........I cannot even remember what group it was but you knew it was was a war

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator