Starting OL in the fall

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No doubt that Hevesy is going to put a lineup like that out there. If Taylor was to go to Center, OMG. I could see that line with some huge improvement. Factor in they may get some decent coaching should bode well for the stable of backs that we have.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hevesy is going to put the best 5 OL on the line and the best 5 right now are Forsythe, J Taylor, Heggie, Jordan and Ivey. That's a very, very decent line, probably the best we've had in years. The only question is who's going to play center. J. Taylor was asked to train at center in the offseason. It's not for nothing that he was asked to do that.

ltraz, watch the two games that Forsythe started at right tackle last year. He held his own against FSU's excellent DEs, yes even Sweat!

You got me curious so I went and watched some of that FSU game. Forsythe wasn't that bad for a younger guy. His biggest problem that game was not staying on his guy on some running plays. Quite a few times he let his guy get loose from him when he still had good position letting them make the tackle. That is something the coaching staff should be able to correct however. His footwork against DEs trying to run around him looked to be better than Taylor who got burned by speed rushers quite a bit.

leogator

May 5, 2018
You got me curious so I went and watched some of that FSU game. Forsythe wasn't that bad for a younger guy. His biggest problem that game was not staying on his guy on some running plays. Quite a few times he let his guy get loose from him when he still had good position letting them make the tackle. That is something the coaching staff should be able to correct however. His footwork against DEs trying to run around him looked to be better than Taylor who got burned by speed rushers quite a bit.
I only saw one play where he let his guy go prematurely. I also saw a couple where his assignment was long gone (like the play was supposed to come to his side but the RB took the cutback lane) and he had nobody to block and was hesitant what to do.

leogator

May 5, 2018
The problem with zone blocking and particularly Mullen's play design is that there is a lot of movement, pulling, double teaming, second level blocking, etc. Will the OL be able to get the assignments down pat in every play.

Excellent analysis of some of Mullen's offense concepts by Matt Wyatt here:

including some OL zone blocking concepts at the 6:41 mark.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
No doubt that Hevesy is going to put a lineup like that out there. If Taylor was to go to Center, OMG. I could see that line with some huge improvement. Factor in they may get some decent coaching should bode well for the stable of backs that we have.

Heggie is playing Center.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I only saw one play where he let his guy go prematurely. I also saw a couple where his assignment was long gone (like the play was supposed to come to his side but the RB took the cutback lane) and he had nobody to block and was hesitant what to do.

I saw it about 3 times in 5 or so possessions I watched. If he kept the guy engaged he never assists or makes the tackle on the RB himself. It wasn't plays he was supposed to move on to someone else but that can be corrected I am sure.

leogator

May 5, 2018
The other reason that I'm saying JT to center is that I don't see him projecting to tackle in the pros. I see him at guard or center. So for JT himself it will be better to train at center or guard. Buchanan can play center in a pinch. Didn't he play center in some games last year? Maybe the UAB game?

Whoever plays, they will be much better physically than last year. And Hevesy will insist on getting all the details right.

I was looking forward to watching Telfort grow into a decent OL. But he fell victim to his predilection for potato chips on somebody else's credit card.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator