Strange call last night

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
If there is another baseball fan on here, do you understand why the ump missed the first base call last night? The play was close and if the official was not in position to see the fielder step on the bag, then he wasn't in position to imagine that he missed.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I saw that and am still dumbfounded.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was an obvious mistake and he will be reprimanded.

The look on Sully's face was priceless!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If there is another baseball fan on here, do you understand why the ump missed the first base call last night? The play was close and if the official was not in position to see the fielder step on the bag, then he wasn't in position to imagine that he missed.

The pitcher covering may have distracted his vision and he missed the play momentarily and made a guess?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The pitcher covering may have distracted his vision and he missed the play momentarily and made a guess?
Yes, but.... If you don't see the play, don't you have to make the call in favor of the guy that obviously got there first? Or ask the home plate ump for help?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I was at the game but got home prior to the play in question and saw it on TV. It really was not that close of a play and the 1st baseman's foot clearly touched the bag. After thinking about it, I believe that the 1st base umpire thought the 1st baseman tossed the ball to the pitcher and that the pitcher's foot never contacted the base. I think the ump got confused. You would hate to see such an obvious call ever cost a team if a game is close like that.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
To answer the question, no I don't.

A hearty welcome G-Don, but your answer is a bit perplexing. I estimate your posting many more
posts will serve you & GC well going towards clarity.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Bait'n and Matt M read this thread title and thought it was about poontang.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I was at the game but got home prior to the play in question and saw it on TV. It really was not that close of a play and the 1st baseman's foot clearly touched the bag. After thinking about it, I believe that the 1st base umpire thought the 1st baseman tossed the ball to the pitcher and that the pitcher's foot never contacted the base. I think the ump got confused. You would hate to see such an obvious call ever cost a team if a game is close like that.
Best explanation so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator