Stricklin gets more mediocre every day - taking seats away in Swamp

oxrageous

It's Good to be King
Administrator
UF students are currently 90% Asian (and will be 99% in 10 years), so removing that entire section for people that are actually going to show up is a good move. Asians think football is the dumbest thing they've ever seen.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
I'd really like to see them do away with the first 3-4 rows of the east and west stands if structurally possible. It would allow extra room on the sidelines and the new first row would be higher so they won't stand causing the rows behind to stand also.
I'm row 10 and it sucks standing most of the game.
Absolutely not.

There’s many articles that discuss the proximity of the fans and how it impacts the game.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
That argument can certainly be made, but if true, it's not something anyone knew at the time.
Incorrect... his agent actually issued a memo to all interested parties with words to the effect of: "Open minded to all non-SEC offers because, as we all know, Riley is a 'lil bitch"

Double Gator Dad

Lifetime Member
UF students are currently 90% Asian (and will be 99% in 10 years), so removing that entire section for people that are actually going to show up is a good move. Asians think football is the dumbest thing they've ever seen.

Don’t laugh people, he is only slightly exaggerating.
In the ten years since my youngest graduated the student body has changed completely.

AlexDaGator

The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
And this represents something different? I think you need to revisit what made us dominant in the Spurrier and Meyer years. Hint. It wasn't a Bama- or UGA-type commitment. It was catching lightning in a bottle with Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer.

You're right. I'll also add that much of that success (especially under Spurrier) was at a time when elite Florida high school talent wanted to stay in Florida (either UF, FSU, or Miami) so their family and friends could see them play (in person and on TV).

Miami and FSU had crappy facilities too (except for the luxury Burt Reynolds "dorms" for football players), Miami didn't have a stadium, FSU had an erector set. Lack of premier facilities didn't hurt us back then. Location was more important.

That changed over time. It became easier to see more games on TV. The facilities arms race became much more important.

I still remember being shocked to lose elite Florida talent to out-of-state teams. It was one thing to lose a player to FSU or Miami...but losing really elite Florida kids to Alabama or Clemson??? That was unheard of. These really stuck out to me:

--2005, CJ Spiller to Clemson despite playing just up the road in Union County. We dismissed it as half his family were FSU and the other half were UF and he didn't want to piss off half his family. An aberration, right? No, it was a harbinger of the coming disaster.

--2008, Trent Richardson to Alabama despite playing at Emmitt Smith's alma mater and wearing his number, and at a time when we were a dominant team under Meyer.

Losing Trent Richardson was shocking. This was when the alarm bells really went off for me and everybody else paying attention. Tragically, Jeremy Foley didn't hear the alarm bells. He was smug, arrogant, and complacent. It was in late 2014 (after 5 full seasons of mediocrity and losing recruiting wars) that he made this now infamous comment: “As you look around our facilities, we’re not into bells and whistles, we’re always looking to upgrade our facilities, but we’re not getting into an arms race.”

And now that we're FINALLY getting our facilities in order (not Bama, aTm, Klimpson, or UGA elite level, just competitive with the middle of the pack level), now it's all about NIL and transfer portal.

Alex.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
I'd really like to see them do away with the first 3-4 rows of the east and west stands if structurally possible. It would allow extra room on the sidelines and the new first row would be higher so they won't stand causing the rows behind to stand also.
I'm row 10 and it sucks standing most of the game.
I think doing away with Row 10 would fix the problem.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
I'm not at all fat and even I can't stand how close our rows are and how small of a space each seat allows. I wish each seat had more room but I also realize why they did what they did when they designed the stadium. And in our design, we do have unique attributes that make our stadium one of the best experiences in the NCAA even though we're not even in the top 10 for capacity among other NCAA schools (even though we're the largest stadium in the entire state of Florida regardless of sport.)

One of these advantages is that we're in a bowl that is dug DOWN. That, plus the use of concrete and steel makes for an echo, or an increase of noise as it's captured.
Another is that the stands are positioned so close to the field that it feels like we're sitting right on top of the players.
And the last is that our fans CAN be rabid/intense.

So if we remove seats, or reassign them then this could hurt our advantages. But if it's only the removal of Asian students then this would be an increase in experience as it's clearly been said here that those Asian students are horrible.

We definitely don't want to move the fans further away from the field.

And our fans are considerably declining in their fervor but that is directly related to the product on the field.

Overall, I'm meh on this as it's hard to beat the 4K quality at home plus the bathrooms are always open and the beers are cheaper.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
I don't see any justifiable reason to keep Stricklin around. Florida used to compete for Director's Cup trophies every year with national championships in multiple sports...and we've slid backwards across the board in nearly every category. Nowhere more pronounced than in the big-money sports of football and basketball.

And there's absolutely no reason why we can't dominate in every category either. We have a large & wealthy fanbase with arrogant **** money.

So Stricklin trying to sell this as a necessary good is really him making excuses for the mediocrity of the program right now. We don't have any problem filling the Swamp when the tean is competing for championships. Saying "a cramped Swamp is part of the magic of the place, but oh right, we're also going to change that to make people more comfortable" is contradictory BS.

And Dooley goes along with it, as he always does.

AlexDaGator

The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
(even though we're the largest stadium in the entire state of Florida regardless of sport.)

Is NASCAR a sport?

Maybe.

Daytona International Speedway Capacity:

101,500–167,785 (w/ infield, depending on configuration) 123,500 (grandstand capacity)

iu

Alex.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Again, timing and luck has played a big role. We went after a proven winner after Butters was hired. We whiffed. Other than maybe Brian Kelly, who were the proven winners available when Napier was hired?

Edit: "after Butters was fired."
Ohio State Football GIF

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
I know your comment is about having to stand the entire game, but do you actually think our sidelines are acceptable compared to every single stadium in the country right now?
The couple of times I was on them I liked it... as for seating, personally, unless I was in the first row (which I would only want to do exactly ONE time for the experience), I'd never want to be below about row 25... I prefer to be higher as you can actually see everything on the field unfold in real time during a play. It's much more a 3D viewing effect... you really can't see schit lower down.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Probably smart. Aside from the product being ass on the field, lot of people are more content staying home and watching 5+ games with cheap beer and food.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Probably smart. Aside from the product being ass on the field, lot of people are more content staying home and watching 5+ games with cheap beer and food.
There was an article a year or so ago about what the new "optimal" sized college football stadium would be because of the impact of stuff like huge hi-def TVs...

And people like to remember things as they WANT to, not as they were... games still sell out at UF, it's getting people to attend. And even at our peak with Spurrier and Meyer, massive numbers of students were not in the stadium from KO to final second... as freshmen/sophomores? Yes. By the time I was a junior, we were lucky to get there by halftime sometimes or if there at KO, would duck out early to go get ready to go out that night.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
If putting in chair backs causes some fat bastards to stay home because they can’t shoehorn into a seat without encroaching on the seats either side, then maybe we can reduce capacity.
1681927309571.jpeg

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Is NASCAR a sport?

Maybe.

Daytona International Speedway Capacity:

101,500–167,785 (w/ infield, depending on configuration) 123,500 (grandstand capacity)

iu

Alex.
Not a sport. But I only count the seats in the Dale Earnhardt section anyway so.

Plus, too many nooses hanging around that joint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator