Subscription Sites

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure what section to post this in, but oh well. With football season about 2 agonizingly slow months away, I always get antsy around this time of year. Generally speaking, I'm very eager to get any insider tidbits about the team whether on the recruiting front or otherwise. If any, what sites are worth subscribing to for "premium" content? Rivals, Scout, ESPN Insider, 247Sports? What say you, GCMB?

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm interested in this as well. I'm a poor college student, so it needs to be worth the money.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nope IMO. They don't have crystal balls either. If I were actually wanting to throw the money around. It certainly wouldn't be ESPN, Rivals or Scout, at least for offseason football news. 247 and GC would be the only ones I'd consider. I don't know much about GC but I like their news so I'd hope their premium forum would be just as good.

If I were looking for recruiting, it would be Rivals (like them best, more focus on southeast), 247 (seems high quality), or Scouts (though try to cater to the people who scream "SEC Bias" all the time and I don't have much interest in faux 5 star kids from California or Ohio).

Heck all the breaking news is on twitter these days.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There is so much available for free, I wouldn't spend the money for "insider" content.

I think the term "insider" is wayyyyyyyyy over used.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The insider boards on Rivals do suck indeed. One subscription buys you all premium boards so you get spammed by dork rival kids constantly. It's Clowntown right now.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When BSPN runs those 2 years for a nickel specials they're worth it. They don't have much in CFB insider info but they have a ton of info on recruiting (though not the best). They're pretty good for insider NFL info.

Scout plain sucks. Rivals is ok. Gatorcountry is excellent IMO. Not a fan of their forums. Other than Gatoraz (who I don't think posts that often anymore) their forums are weak.

I hear 247 is best for CFB recruiting. They're running a special right now where they're a free trial till CFB starts. Might require a CC.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
When BSPN runs those 2 years for a nickel specials they're worth it. They don't have much in CFB insider info but they have a ton of info on recruiting (though not the best). They're pretty good for insider NFL info.

Scout plain sucks. Rivals is ok. Gatorcountry is excellent IMO. Not a fan of their forums. Other than Gatoraz (who I don't think posts that often anymore) their forums are weak.

I hear 247 is best for CFB recruiting. They're running a special right now where they're a free trial till CFB starts. Might require a CC.
I have heard 24/7 is generally the best also.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:

Thanks!

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good stuff! Thanks, guys.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Go to Books-a-Million get those preseason mags, sit in a comfy chair and get your fill. Then put the mag back and read the Scuba diving pictures.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The important news makes the papers or internet, or both. I would not pay a nickel for preseason news.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:

Does the espn subscription come with the magazine?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:

Yes. And to be honest I haven't opened a single one up over the last 6 months. I read them during football season. And that's it. Bur sparingly even then. 80% of it is human interest stories. But not really interesting.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Country is the best, in my opinion. I have a membership with ESPN, as well and I have tried all the other sites. GC has the most in depth coverage and some of their technical stuff is really good. Spivey does a pretty good job covering recruiting.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just "like" or "follow" them all on twitter and facebook, you'll get all the news you can handle for free.

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
GIGator;n13626 said:
Gator Country is the best, in my opinion. I have a membership with ESPN, as well and I have tried all the other sites. GC has the most in depth coverage and some of their technical stuff is really good. Spivey does a pretty good job covering recruiting.

Spivey just gets so... sweaty sometimes.

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
For what it's worth, I've tried out the "insider" boards at GatorCountry and Scout within the last couple of years and there's nothing special posted there. Back in the day, there was some true "insider" information that you could get by way of a subscription but nowadays everyone knows everything quickly thanks to the Twitters and other social media.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
DocZaius;n13774 said:
For what it's worth, I've tried out the "insider" boards at GatorCountry and Scout within the last couple of years and there's nothing special posted there. Back in the day, there was some true "insider" information that you could get by way of a subscription but nowadays everyone knows everything quickly thanks to the Twitters and other social media.
This is what I have seen as well. It's very difficult to get true inside information anymore because the coaches are so hush-hush on everything, and a journalist who blabs something the coach doesn't like will just be cut off.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator said:
I'm interested in this as well. I'm a poor college student, so it needs to be worth the money.
I know this sounds old fashion but go to Publix and read the magazines.I use to do that when I was in the Army, go to the mall and read magazines in the bookstores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator