Swamp 24/7 and USA Today... not a lot of bright spots on Mullen

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thomas Goldkamp of the Swamp 24/7 still believes that Mullen is a offensive genius... still waiting on the proof of that...

But Mullen has many moments were he looks like he is over his head, starting with Kentucky 2018. But the Marco Wilson is the microcosm of whom he is as a leader. Just like the first half of the UGA game is a real reflection of him as a coach. No one is saying he can't coach Xs and Os, but he can't lead men. He can put together a game plan to hang tough against teams, but if anything goes wrong it rolls down hill fast.

We beat a Tennessee team (I know it was a worse team than what we saw Saturday) at Tennessee (2014) with three turnovers in our opponents red zone. The defense came up and cleaned up the mess. Three turnovers in our opponents redzone Saturday two one play touchdowns and a pick 6.

Mullen has made this team a physically and mentally weaker team than the last two jabronies.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Nobody gives AF about what the UF reputation was in the 1960's. smh WTF kind of comment is that? What relevance does that have to do with our 2021 football team? Dan Mullen wasn't even alive in the 1960's! You are an idiot!

You want to see an undisciplined bunch? Check out those mid to late ‘30s squads. Just a disaster.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
To anyone with half a brain and borderline decent eye sight... it was time A LONG time ago
Yes. But only to folks like us who follow the program closely, are willing to view it with a critical eye, and voice honest opinions. The average national sports writer, in addition to rarely being very bright, doesn't really have the time to follow any program closely; they take the 10K foot view and see the first two seasons CDM "appeared" to have things moving in the right direction and then last season saw the offense and chalked up the losses as either been close games that "could have" gone either way or as a bowl game where the Gators didn't have a bunch of players. (I wont even get into the lapdog mentality of the local beat writers.) These guys don't stop to analyze the whole picture and understand the problem down the road with substandard recruiting and don't look closely at the job the staff is doing in coaching (both in game and in developing talent over time).
We on the other hand, watch every Saturday, follow the recruiting, watch breakdown videos, read the comments of our more knowledgeable posters, etc. So what is so obvious to the folks on this site, is suddenly a huge revelation to these people. (What my former colleagues and I used to refer to as the "No one was more surprised than I" syndrome.)
I think there is a very good chance these guys will get another opportunity to look foolish. Let's suppose UF wins its' last four games - let's be honest; the opponents really are bad enough to make this happen. If then, we play some reeling Big Ten team in a meaningless bowl and manage to beat them, these idiots will suddenly start talking about how "Mullen really turned the ship around!" In reality, we will all know it's fool's gold - he will have again proved he can, usually, beat bad teams.
The other thing we all know that the national media has yet to figure out is that as long as the powers that be decide that mediocrity at football in Gainesville is acceptable, then that's where we will stay. Unless and until that changes, even firing Mullen won't change the narrative.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Btw, "Dan Mullen" is a trending topic on Twitter....and it's nothing nice.

The more pressure the better honestly. It wont get him fired but it puts the spotlight on him and the program and may wake up some of those who think its just an "off-year" rather than this being what Dan Mullen is

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Kirby looking at Dan in that pic thinking "WTF are you about to do to me?".

Looks homo to me.
Kirby and the mullet man are both more than just a little a bit creepy. Kirby more or less gets away with it because he can recruit and win games. Mullet is not just a frickin' weirdo, he's a big fat loser as well.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Yes. But only to folks like us who follow the program closely, are willing to view it with a critical eye, and voice honest opinions. The average national sports writer, in addition to rarely being very bright, doesn't really have the time to follow any program closely; they take the 10K foot view and see the first two seasons CDM "appeared" to have things moving in the right direction and then last season saw the offense and chalked up the losses as either been close games that "could have" gone either way or as a bowl game where the Gators didn't have a bunch of players. (I wont even get into the lapdog mentality of the local beat writers.) These guys don't stop to analyze the whole picture and understand the problem down the road with substandard recruiting and don't look closely at the job the staff is doing in coaching (both in game and in developing talent over time).
We on the other hand, watch every Saturday, follow the recruiting, watch breakdown videos, read the comments of our more knowledgeable posters, etc. So what is so obvious to the folks on this site, is suddenly a huge revelation to these people. (What my former colleagues and I used to refer to as the "No one was more surprised than I" syndrome.)
I think there is a very good chance these guys will get another opportunity to look foolish. Let's suppose UF wins its' last four games - let's be honest; the opponents really are bad enough to make this happen. If then, we play some reeling Big Ten team in a meaningless bowl and manage to beat them, these idiots will suddenly start talking about how "Mullen really turned the ship around!" In reality, we will all know it's fool's gold - he will have again proved he can, usually, beat bad teams.
The other thing we all know that the national media has yet to figure out is that as long as the powers that be decide that mediocrity at football in Gainesville is acceptable, then that's where we will stay. Unless and until that changes, even firing Mullen won't change the narrative.

Pure gold. Kudos.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
That's actually a really good article and the Brian Kelly analogy is correct

You know if more and more articles come out like this, I could see Mrs. Mullen getting all crybabish about it and convince Dan that he's better than this and to take another job

Go Gators

Dec 13, 2020
Even though I want him fired now, he goes into next year on the hot seat. Recruiting will unfortunately suffer another year since no recruit will commit to a lane duck coach.

That article is so infuriating and should get Mullen fired now.

Also rumors on one of the sites is when Mullen hugged Kirby after the game he said “I know I’m not supposed to say this but we are cheering for you the rest of the way. You have one hell of a football team.” That sh*t should be fired with cause.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You know if more and more articles come out like this, I could see Mrs. Mullen getting all crybabish about it and convince Dan that he's better than this and to take another job

What other job is he taking? Especially one making $7.6 million?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
What other job is he taking? Especially one making $7.6 million?

It's wishful thinking...I mean if VT said we would pay you 5...would you trade the money for an easier job?

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Keeping Grantham was probably the second biggest mistake Mullen has made at UF - bringing him from Miss State in 2018 was the biggest. Read this comments from The Athletic:

‘Florida, they just don’t play hard’: College football coaches on the growing gap between Florida and Georgia

USATSI_17061226-scaled.jpg

(some quotes from the story - since it's a paywall):

The Athletic spoke with opposing SEC coaches about what has gone wrong.

“Florida, they just don’t play hard,” said an SEC East coach. “Georgia is trying to rip your head off. They might be up 30-0 and their linebackers are flying up field to get after your ass. Florida is a finesse team. Kentucky plays hard. You watch UF on tape. They’ve got skill but they’re not physical.”

Is the problem scheme? Personnel? Toughness? Opposing coaches cite problems in each area.

“They play with zero discipline,” said one SEC offensive coach whose team faced the Gators this season. “They don’t play hard.”

“We were more physical and much better than them in the box,” said another SEC offensive coach. “We were mauling them.”

An SEC East defensive coach wondered, “What in the world are they trying to get done?” as he scouted the Gators’ wretched defensive performance from 2020. That unit ranked 74th in points allowed (30.8), 83rd in total defense (428 per game) and 85th in yards per play allowed (6.06). “Last year, they were doing some really unsound things defensively,” he said. “They just do some crazy, goofy things. They’re odd.’”

Earlier this season, the Gators looked like a much-improved defense when they went toe-to-toe with Alabama, but opposing coaches have come to believe that’s not the case.

“We thought going in that it was going to be one of the best defenses we faced,” said an SEC offensive coach. “But they just weren’t physical. They don’t look motivated. Not fired up. No juice.

“Schematically, they make no adjustments on defense. They have no answers. They’ll stay in a 2-high shell as long as they can. They walk (Jeremiah Moon) down to create a five-man front and think they can stop the run with just that, but they can’t.”

“Grantham spends all of his time on third-down packages with exotic pressures,” said an SEC offensive coach. “You can run the ball on them on third downs. …There’s no one in their front seven that scares you. They used to have defensive ends that were pass-rush phenoms. They used to have shut-down corners. They don’t have either now.”

That coach said preseason All-SEC cornerback Kaiir Elam “was disappointing.”

Florida’s best NFL prospect on the defensive line, senior Zach Carter, is “a solid player” and likely a third- or fourth-rounder, Brugler said. That would make four consecutive drafts in which the program failed to have a member of the defensive front chosen in the top two rounds.

“They don’t have anybody that’s a game-wrecker,” said an SEC offensive assistant. “They’re not as talented and formidable as I thought they were going to be.”

Comments about our offense:

Mullen is a master at designing pre-snap eye candy, the shifts and motions that create mismatches. Outsiders believe such window dressing is necessary to masquerade deficiencies along Florida’s offensive line. When offseason staff shuffling commences, it’s likely offensive line coach John Hevesy will be among those departing.

An opposing SEC offensive coach said he suspects some of the Gators’ toughness issues stem from becoming so pass-heavy during the two-year stint under quarterback Kyle Trask. Last season, the only SEC team that ran the ball fewer times than Florida per game was Mike Leach’s Air Raid attack at Mississippi State. In 2019, only Vanderbilt had fewer rushing attempts.

"It’s been more of a throwing-based offense,” said the opposing offensive coach. “They only run the ball as a change-up. When you get that way, you’re naturally not going to be as physical. You need to practice against the run in order to create a culture of physicality.”

The Gators now face something dreaded within the landscape of SEC football: A reputation for being soft.

“Georgia is trying to take your soul the way they play the game,” said one of the SEC East coaches. “That’s not how Florida plays.

“Last year, we thought these guys were soft on the O-line but they had skill guys — (Kyle) Pitts and (Kadarius) Toney and weapons. We thought they were more physical up front, but then you play them and they’re just not a tough team. They just don’t finish. They don’t strain.”

The Gators represent a statistical rarity, owning a .500 record despite outgaining all eight opponents. That’s no consolation to a fan base. Winning opportunities have slipped away based on other failings:

• Those 16 turnovers are tied for 10th-most in the FBS.

• Quarterbacks Emory Jones and Anthony Richardson have combined for 15 of the turnovers, many of the game-changing variety. In their four losses, the Gators have given up two pick sixes and committed five turnovers that set up touchdown drives from inside their own 40. Florida’s quick-change defense hasn’t responded.

• Their seven penalties per game are tied for 96th.

• The Gators rank 120th in field goal accuracy (57 percent), including a blocked kick that made the difference in a loss at Kentucky. A missed PAT ultimately forced Florida into a failed two-point try against Alabama.

“You listen to some of the things Mullen says after his teams lose. He starts talking about stats and how like, ‘We really outplayed them.’ Basically, he’s just making excuses,” said an opposing assistant. “Your bunch makes mistakes in critical moments.”

At least one opposing coach suspects a culture problem.

“You look at them in warmups — guys with their T-shirts hanging out. They look sloppy. A little too nonchalant, too rag-tag,” an SEC assistant coach said. “They think they’re better than they are.”

Though Florida’s schedule lightens up in November, that East Division coach wonders how much fight remains: “It’s like it’s conference championship or bust. They’re over it.”
What does that doofus redneck Stricklin have to say about this? Mullen can't police himself, that's obvious. He's a loser. Never ever would a winner let himself smile after the Kentucky and georgia losses. He's so over his head. He accepts losing.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
What does that doofus redneck Stricklin have to say about this? Mullen can't police himself, that's obvious. He's a loser. Never ever would a winner let himself smile after the Kentucky and georgia losses. He's so over his head. He accepts losing.

Stricklin is too busy hiding

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Even the fuch head writers over at gator country are saying Mullen is safe this year as long as he wins out and makes multiple staff changes. But their saying if he loses one more game he's gone this year. I think he's gone this year regardless, not because they fire him but because he want's out and has all but quit already.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's wishful thinking...I mean if VT said we would pay you 5...would you trade the money for an easier job?

I think his "sh*t" is out on the streets (i.e. he's damaged goods right now). Maybe if he was fired a Central Michigan would jump at him, like they did with Butters. But I can't see a P5 saying, "Hey look at the sh*tshow he led at UF! Let's bring that here. Make sure he brings Knox, Grantham, Hevesy, and all the other underachievers with him!" I don't think he'll have a single job offer after the last two seasons (while he's still employed at UF).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.