Tampa Tribune: No death threats in Jim McElwain’s emails

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
No death threats in Jim McElwain’s emails. Here’s what we found instead

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/gator...mcelwains-emails-heres-what-we-found-instead/

After then-Florida Gators coach Jim McElwain mentioned death threats at his Oct. 23 news conference, I went looking for proof.

I called the local and federal authorities, who didn't have any reports to corroborate his claim.

I also asked to see his emails, through a public-records request to UF. Intense fans show up often in my inbox, so I assumed the same thing was true for McElwain. I was surprised by what UF provided late last week, after the Gators and McElwain mutually parted ways.

There were no death threats – or any angry notes at all.

McElwain received some of the same mundane emails any office worker will recognize. A travel itinerary. A copy of a hotel bill. A note from IT that his University Athletic Association password was set to expire in 14 days. Someone politely suggested he run a fake punt against Georgia.

But there were four emails of support.

This one, from FGCU president Mike Martin: Coach, hang in! You are doing what is right. Comes at a price no doubt. Integrity can't be compromised. And championships will come as well.

And one, from Tampa attorney Charles Carver, who wrote: I've never written to a UF coach before, but I feel the need to let you know my wife and I are behind you and the team 100%. Unfortunately, the advent of the internet gives every naysayer a public venue to express their negative opinions, sometimes in a way that is surely hurtful to you, your staff and the players. Sadly, their opinions often seem to be the norm… I want you and the team to know there is a silent majority of fans who support and stick with the Gators through all kinds of weather. We don't like losing, but we know no one dislikes it more than you and the team. … So, when you or a player hears or reads the rantings of a naysayer, remember that for every naysayer there are hundreds of "silent" Gators fans who support you and root for the Gators, win or lose.

McElwain noted in an email that Carver copied athletic director Scott Stricklin on that email, too.

There was a note from a fan named Ron Lemke. He wrote: I am one in the minority that doesn't think my life will end if the team dosent win, don't get me wrong winning is more fun but it is a game. As I tell everyone who whines around me it all looks easy from up here. Please know that among the complainers there are many of us who support the team day in day out.

And finally there was this one from alumnus Neil Floetkte. It begins: Good afternoon Coach! After the past few months of Gator news I felt compelled to write you. First let me say, I'm ashamed of a lot of the negative stuff being said about the program, it's unnecessary and hurtful, even to other Gators. I understand criticism, we all do it, but it's reached an unacceptable level.

Don't interpret this as proof that McElwain made up the death threats, as some have suggested. I don't have any evidence to back up that claim, and I'm not implying that.

But I thought I'd see some venom in McElwain's emails. What I found was support. Who knew?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He's a compulsive liar, a snake oil salesman, and someone who has zero accountability for his own actions. Good riddance.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I wouldn't call so few emails support. I'd call that complete and utter apathy. I bet Jimbo is receiving plenty of angry emails right now. Wow!

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Nice work by the Tribune, which was once home of one of the greatest sports editors ever, Tom McEwen. You would have thought someone from the Gainesville Sun would have made such an investigation. But noooooo.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So now we know. 2222's real name is Charles Carver.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm honestly shocked that they published McElstank's actual email address. Usually, the [email protected] or .gov email goes to staffers/interns and they have a super secret [email protected] email for the real stuff that only the insiders know.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is an idiotic article...

The reality is that McElwain probably deleted the negative emails he got and kept the positive ones... he possibly deleted the death threats and I doubt the writer hacked in and looked at deleted emails.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016

The reality is that McElwain probably deleted the negative emails he got and kept the positive ones... he possibly deleted the death threats and I doubt the writer hacked in and looked at deleted emails.

:scratchhead:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Public records law require them to keep all documents.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Public records law require them to keep all documents.

Ah... forgot about that... wonder if he dug through all deleted emails anyway or just through the inbox... would take a lot of time and he didn't find any negative? I can't believe that.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Ah... forgot about that... wonder if he dug through all deleted emails anyway or just through the inbox... would take a lot of time and he didn't find any negative? I can't believe that.

I heard they transferred them to a private email server in an intern's basement bathroom in Colorado.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I suspect that the UAA has a filter of some kind and the freedom of information request only go the reporter those emails that actually made it to McElwain. For the issue of death threats that makes sense. But it does probably paint an incomplete picture of the emails being sent to McElwain.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm pretty mcelwain claimed players and their families received death threats. this article really doesn't contribute much

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I try to be a little more pragmatic in these cases. For close to two weeks, McElwain and his image have been, at best questioned, and at worst tarnished as a liar and whiner in every media forum available. His former employer has used this situation as a reason to not pay his entire buyout. Not to mention, his agent has been tasked with painting the rosiest of pictures so that his client can, in fact, coach again somewhere else.

And yet, to my knowledge, since that fateful press conference on Monday and the followup on Wednesday, I've not not heard either JM or his agent mention it, whether to outright dispute the claims that he made it up or address the criticism he's earned as a result. That tells me that much like legal counsel telling their client to zip it if they still want their representation, Sexton wants nothing to do with this story, and is more than content seeing it die, even if it's effectively an admission of guilt.

I really don't see how it can be perceived any other way. We're not talking about just letting an argument go for the sake of "ehh, it's not worth it". This is literally millions of dollars, a reputation, and future employment on the line. I need no other evidence or lack thereof. That alone tells me all I need to know.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I heard they transferred them to a private email server in an intern's basement bathroom in Colorado.
Great idea!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm pretty mcelwain claimed players and their families received death threats. this article really doesn't contribute much

At least one player in particular showed it on his Instagram I believe. The article doesn't address the claims made.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Go back and watch the presser where Mac brought up death threats. He tried walking it back the minute a reporter challenged him over details. It was nothing but the use of hyperbole in a lame attempt to elicit sympathy. How can a guy like that lead a football team, of all things?

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Go back and watch the presser where Mac brought up death threats. He tried walking it back the minute a reporter challenged him over details. It was nothing but the use of hyperbole in a lame attempt to elicit sympathy. How can a guy like that lead a football team, of all things?

Stricklin clearly asked himself that same question the second Mac blurted out that ridiculous nonsense. Didn't take him long to cut the line on this drifting blowhard.

I would really like to know what Mac IQ is. A lot of the dumbass decisions (or inaction) on the sidelines could be more easily explained if he has the mental bandwidth of a goldfish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator