Targeting call is ridiculously subjective

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
This rule reminds me of the old "halo" rule. It was so mis managed. I just watched a Clemsom player just take a Noles head off in a defenseless receiver and a "no call". In our game, the QB felt the pressure from Sherit and cringed for the impact, which moves his head down and he was getting sacked. There was no intent to injure.

Just another rule that can change a game, which is way too subjective. Not to mention a 1 game suspension.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, the "err on the side of caution" has become "err whenever the Gators do something close enough to throw the flag". It's beyond ridiculous.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
That was a poor call on Sherit. No crown of helmet leading. The QB ducked a little to protect himself just as Sherit was arriving making it look worse than it was. I hope that call gets rescinded.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The problem is if you go too low and don't keep your head up enough then you will get called for spearing. The call today was also affected because Sherit's shoe came off right as he was hitting the QB. There are just too many factors to have a 'perfect tackle' everytime.

Blonde Gator

Founding Member
Cynic
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
FireFoley;n309094 said:
That was a poor call on Sherit. No crown of helmet leading. The QB ducked a little to protect himself just as Sherit was arriving making it look worse than it was. I hope that call gets rescinded.

I could have lived with the penalty yards, but the ejection and the rest is just so many horse apples.

SH!! happens in football.

I have no problem with flagging and ejecting a player for egregious targeting, but today was a perfect example of a total crap sammy.

Shame on the refs. And shame on the SEC if they allow this to continue.

GatorSteve

Founding Member
Lounge Lizard
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Football is a game that is very dangerous to play. I agree that we should do what we can to protect the players. The targeting rule is impossible to fairly judge even with video replay. Many times they can't even get video replay right which is a rule I like. No fair minded man or woman not wearing black and white stripes can honestly say there was indisputable video evidence to overturn our first touchdown. I think referees need to respect the tradition of the game before they use these new "improvements" to ruin it. A game played at full speed is going to have some contact that looks questionable at times. I am not wearing orange and blue glasses when I say Sherit simply made a fantastic play and the Vandy QB knew he was about to get lit up. I watched the play a few times. Looked to me like he hit his shoulder pads just like Cronkrite did last week. Players exaggerate contact all the times. Punters, kickers and QB's are the worst. If some of these kids just joined the drama club instead of playing ball, they would never have to worry about a concussion or getting punch drunk after a multimillion dollar NFL career. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I want the game I grew up watching and playing back.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There was obviously no malicious intent, not even close. Absolutely moronic call & even worse for the replay ref to actually agree. They should suspend THEM.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the Cronkrite targeting was the worst targeting call I'd ever seen. Only took a week to top that horsesh*t.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the overturned TD was bull, I thought the call of a fumble by CeCe was bull, I thought the targeting was bull, and I thought they made at least 3 or 4 very questionable spots in Vandy's favor.

GatorSteve

Founding Member
Lounge Lizard
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
The natural momentum and flow of the game today was ruined by a bunch of fools in stripes who seemed to want engineer a Vandy upset. Yeah...maybe I am wearing a tin foil cap. But the phantom late hit on Morrison, I think, was pitiful. He was trying to protect himself and his opponent. He was running full speed and so was the opponent. It wasn't like he threw him to the ground. The presence of contact does not always indicate a foul has occurred. Football is a contact sport and the players have a lot of state of the art safety equipment to protect themselves. The idiot who got in the way of Neal's tackle of Ralph Webb could have thought of his position in the play. He should be suspended without pay for simple stupidity alone. Football doesn't need a bunch of striped uniformed fools running around the field and staring at video screens trying to affect the outcome when they had little to no talent to play the game in the first place. Let the kids play the game. If refs want to affect the outcome of a game, put on some pads, man up and play the game.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
There was a targeting call in the OSU vs. TCU game. It was appropriately reversed after review.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

GatorSteve

Founding Member
Lounge Lizard
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Watching Derrick Mason complaining about the officiating almost made me throw a shoe at my TV. He was complaining about ticky-tack calls of no consequence when we were trying to line up tempo and the idiots were literally trying to give his 3-7 team a game they didn't earn. Mason even tried the old fake-a-cramp tricks to screw up any offensive momentum we could muster. If anything needs to be eliminated from the game, it is that. I get so sick of hearing TV announcers make excuses for it. They blame it on opponents not being used to playing in the Swamp. We gave the world Gatorade to level the playing field. Don't even play like they don't know to drink it too.

ockgator

Sep 17, 2014
Speaking of subjective ref calls, Did you see the Bama player grabbing the LSU guy BEFORE the punt got to him and NO FLAG.... We've been hosed twice and our guy was easily a yard from contact both times. Getting real tired of this sh*t.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
ockgator;n309226 said:
Speaking of subjective ref calls, Did you see the Bama player grabbing the LSU guy BEFORE the punt got to him and NO FLAG.... We've been hosed twice and our guy was easily a yard from contact both times. Getting real tired of this sh*t.
I saw the same thing and had the exact same thought. The rule is supposed to be one yard and you could freeze frame both of ours and see a yard separation. The Bama guy had his hand on the guy before the ball had even hit the receiver's hand...no call.

GatorSteve

Founding Member
Lounge Lizard
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Let's hope LSU wins by three points. I can't wait to hear the talking heads trying to make excuses for Saban's 2 loss schoolboys to get an invite to the big dance. This will confirm my tin foil hat conspiracy.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The targeting call on Sherit was wrong. Sherit did a desperation tackle by extending his body in a dive for the QB.
The angle of his body was perfect for an excellent QB sack. The QB made it falsely appear harsh by curling up his body
for the impact. QB tucking down put his head near the legal impact zone should have shown in the replay that the tackler
was not targeting the head since that head wasn't in the impact zone 'til after Sherit launched his desperate dive … The
QB could have launch himself away with the possibility of escaping the tackle. That escape possibility is what made it
urgent for Sherit to dive, lay out near horizontal for the QB's chest. The QB tucked into that "chest-zone". On replay,
should have been obvious. So much for pass rush in CFB. QB's are going to learn to milk this rule to avoid sack losses.
Bad-call, bad-call. Bad-refs, bad-refs.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorSteve;n309234 said:
Let's hope LSU wins by three points. I can't wait to hear the talking heads trying to make excuses for Saban's 2 loss schoolboys to get an invite to the big dance. This will confirm my tin foil hat conspiracy.

Bama losses and they're toast as far as the playoffs are concerned. No chance. None.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
ockgator;n309226 said:

yeah they even replayed it and didn't say a word. Turds

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.