Tell us your best fire stories

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When I was building my fence, I had small section to replace. I decided to stack all the old wood like a teepee and have a bonfire. These are 16ft foot boards.

When I lit this thing, it quickly became a life of its own. It started pulling in air from all sides. You cant tell from this pic, but there is some heavy woods behind me. Embers were easily landing in it. It was one of the few times in my life that I thought I was completely fuched because it was completely out of my control. Luckily, I was able to keep it confined. Nothing ever grew on the spot again, I had to eventually replace the top soil.
4F253FDA-5099-4734-95B4-07A2464F399F.jpeg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Man these are horrible. When I was young and an insurance adjuster I hated doing fire claims. Just sucked telling people how much wouldn’t get replaced because it either required it’s own policy that they never had or depreciation

That would be a difficult job but even more so when a person is underinsured by their own doing. My BIL’s agent (and ours) was terrific. He showed up within an hour with $300 for him to go buy shoes, toothbrush and clothes. Put them up in a hotel for a week before they could rent a house. BIL was wearing PJ’s, no shoes and sitting in his car watching his house burn down. His wife had the one suit she wore that day to court. That was all they now owned. Even though they had replacement cost coverage they didn’t just hand them a check. An agent still came out to comb through the debris and count every single sock, shirt, pair of underwear, fork, comb, and Knick-knack. For a year they had to keep a log of items they lost so they could be reimbursed fully. I had no idea of the process and hope we never go through it. They were eventually made whole again and the new house is even better but it was quite an eye opening experience. I was so naive about how it all worked.

New house: now that the kids are grown and out of the house they used a floor plan that fit them better. The master is in the first floor and the guest rooms are all upstairs. My niece got married in the front yard last summer.
1458F6EF-BF98-45B5-99A7-3C7CC9225B4A.jpeg

They were able to salvage this stone off the front of the house and put it over the garage on the new house. We call it beauty from the ashes.

105617D7-6A13-4857-844A-B7E9978DAF17.jpeg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I like that stairway railing and feel like it could still be salvaged. If you don’t mind me asking, what it set you back?

It was my BIL’s house. I’m assuming you mean the cost of the railing? No idea but he had a full cat walk that overlooked the living room with that railing. Someone probably came in and salvaged the wood before the house was leveled.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
That would be a difficult job but even more so when a person is underinsured by their own doing. My BIL’s agent (and ours) was terrific. He showed up within an hour with $300 for him to go buy shoes, toothbrush and clothes. Put them up in a hotel for a week before they could rent a house. BIL was wearing PJ’s, no shoes and sitting in his car watching his house burn down. His wife had the one suit she wore that day to court. That was all they now owned. Even though they had replacement cost coverage they didn’t just hand them a check. An agent still came out to comb through the debris and count every single sock, shirt, pair of underwear, fork, comb, and Knick-knack. For a year they had to keep a log of items they lost so they could be reimbursed fully. I had no idea of the process and hope we never go through it. They were eventually made whole again and the new house is even better but it was quite an eye opening experience. I was so naive about how it all worked.

New house: now that the kids are grown and out of the house they used a floor plan that fit them better. The master is in the first floor and the guest rooms are all upstairs. My niece got married in the front yard last summer.

They were able to salvage this stone off the front of the house and put it over the garage on the new house. We call it beauty from the ashes.

They had a good agent if they were made whole. Most insurance companies, especially for those that aren't well off, look for everything they can deduct and will count everything. Depreciation sucks but is understandable. The worst were the ones that had items that had to have a specific policy and their agents never explained that. Rugs, jewelry, coins, electronics, art, etc a lot of times have very limited coverage in your basic policy. I think at the time you had a $200 limit on jewelry. I remember one family that were older and had a lot of family items passed down. Nothing crazy valuable, but much more than $200. Never once were told those required a separate policy. Had another family with multiple rugs from their travels. I think it had a $500 limit at the time. The guys traveled the world for work and had collected stuff. All gone and only got $500 for it.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
They had a good agent if they were made whole. Most insurance companies, especially for those that aren't well off, look for everything they can deduct and will count everything. Depreciation sucks but is understandable. The worst were the ones that had items that had to have a specific policy and their agents never explained that. Rugs, jewelry, coins, electronics, art, etc a lot of times have very limited coverage in your basic policy. I think at the time you had a $200 limit on jewelry. I remember one family that were older and had a lot of family items passed down. Nothing crazy valuable, but much more than $200. Never once were told those required a separate policy. Had another family with multiple rugs from their travels. I think it had a $500 limit at the time. The guys traveled the world for work and had collected stuff. All gone and only got $500 for it.

Heartbreaking losses. Those are painful lessons to learn and things most people don’t pay attention to either. While my BIL didn’t get paid 100% of what was expected, every single item that they could remember was replaced. Last I’d heard they were “owed” about $20k according to their policy but had to account for what those items were that weren’t already paid for. I guess that means they were over insured in a sense. I just assumed insurance handed you a check and let you go buy what you wanted with it but it wasn’t how it worked at all.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Heartbreaking losses. Those are painful lessons to learn and things most people don’t pay attention to either. While my BIL didn’t get paid 100% of what was expected, every single item that they could remember was replaced. Last I’d heard they were “owed” about $20k according to their policy but had to account for what those items were that weren’t already paid for. I guess that means they were over insured in a sense. I just assumed insurance handed you a check and let you go buy what you wanted with it but it wasn’t how it worked at all.

Yep and every company is different. I remember that after that job I would never have Allstate for anything after how they treated people. They would want to pay by the piece. Half the floor is damaged then they only wanted to pay for half, despite the other have needing extensive repairs

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I know these two things:

1. You cannot send "smoke signals" using a candle and a... paper napkin.
  2. You should not use an aerosol can and a lighter to kill a fly on a window a la "flamethrower technique" that has a cloth valance at the top of said window.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It was my BIL’s house. I’m assuming you mean the cost of the railing? No idea but he had a full cat walk that overlooked the living room with that railing. Someone probably came in and salvaged the wood before the house was leveled.

Yeah, it was a Cousin Eddie joke. I have no interest in the railing.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve been fortunate to have never had to go through a fire and the shared stories look scary at best, heartbreaking at worst. The most memorable fire story I know came from Jerry Clower. If a little humor isn’t too out of place, here you go…

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I’ve been fortunate to have never had to go through a fire and the shared stories look scary at best, heartbreaking at worst. The most memorable fire story I know came from Jerry Clower. If a little humor isn’t too out of place, here you go…

I remember listening to Jerry Clower records as a kid. Yes, we had them in Michigan/Detroit... some southern kid from TN who's dad emigrated north brought it with him... f'n reverse carpetbaggers!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
When I lit this thing, it quickly became a life of its own. It started pulling in air from all sides. You cant tell from this pic, but there is some heavy woods behind me. Embers were easily landing in it. It was one of the few times in my life that I thought I was completely fuched because it was completely out of my control. Luckily, I was able to keep it confined. Nothing ever grew on the spot again, I had to eventually replace the top soil.

I don’t have a big backyard, but on smaller scale, this would be my story as well. I only have 3 trees actually in my yard, but several just on the other side of each fence. Last April, I decided instead of bagging up the ten trillion leaves and sticks they drop, I’d burn them in my fire pit area. The hardest thing for me, was remaining calm as it began raging and giving the appearance that everything was under control. Fortunately there wasn’t much wind, or my fence would’ve been toast. But flames going 15 feet high in that tight space was stressful. Anyway, I plan to do it again this year.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t have a big backyard, but on smaller scale, this would be my story as well. I only have 3 trees actually in my yard, but several just on the other side of each fence. Last April, I decided instead of bagging up the ten trillion leaves and sticks they drop, I’d burn them in my fire pit area. The hardest thing for me, was remaining calm as it began raging and giving the appearance that everything was under control. Fortunately there wasn’t much wind, or my fence would’ve been toast. But flames going 15 feet high in that tight space was stressful. Anyway, I plan to do it again this year.

:lol:

No words can describe how violent and dumb this was. Here is a screenshot of a video:
68BE1B14-8F79-41C3-8FCC-BB7170C65943.jpeg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
:lol:

No words can describe how violent and dumb this was. Here is a screenshot of a video:

Wow. Yeah that’s bad. Looks like you raided an Indian village and then callously stood around in shorts having a beer.

A friend of mine bought a home with some land a few years back. The day they were closing the previous owners decided to just burn some stuff rather than packing it or tossing it. The problem was the burn pile was like 20 yards from the woods it backed up to, and it was March. Long and short, he had fire trucks there as he’s signing some final papers and moving in. Some of the pictures looked like that, and it cost him some of his privacy with a lot of the shrubs and smaller trees being taken out.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Mom lit neighborhood on fire burning leaves in the wind. No trailers were harmed (Bama)
House got hit by lightning, blew 10ft of chimney off and started attic fire. Same storm started a fire at a nearby tobacco barn. When the propane cylinders started cooking off, it was something.

Best, sitting in a bar and a friend starts blowing 151 fireballs. Old guy comes up, that’s pretty cool. Friend blows another one right towards the guy and starts a curtain on fire. As we are stomping the curtain, bartender comes over, which one of you *******s singed the Mayors beard? Y’all got to go ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.