TEs, H-backs, and FBs

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
One key feature of Mullen's offense in the past has been use of the TEs and H-backs in the passing game--and we saw that on a few occasions this past Saturday: Krull and Gamble had 4 catches for 52 yards between them; and RJ Raymond (#45) had at least one targeted attempt that Franks was too high on. Getting better, more consistent play from that group will be crucial to having a better football season.

Speaking of Raymond...after missing on that catch, the very next play, he was tasked with going in motion and being the lead-blocker on Grimes' first TD. Impressed with the focus there. If memory serves, he had a long catch and run in the O&B game...perhaps he can become a Billy Latsko-type weapon for the team from the H-back position.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Krull looks like he is the real deal. He could be a great weapon for Franks to go to. He is aslo a vast improvement over C. Lewis, who would rather run down the field with his arms up, celebrating a play he did not contribute anything to.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of Raymond...after missing on that catch, the very next play, he was tasked with going in motion and being the lead-blocker on Grimes' first TD. .
Pretty sure that first target was at least partially to sell the idea that "we dont view him as just a blocker" so that it didnt look too funny for him to be in the flat, obviously getting ready to block on that screen.

It is an ok idea I guess but if Im a dc dnd I see him out there, I know what Im expecting.

We did that for a while w Latsko too. Even had him listed as a WR for a bit.

I do expect RJ to do a lot of lead blocking. Lets hope it works out as well as the Latsko years.

I didnt get the sense that Franks was too high on that pass as much as Raymond was too slow and too whiteboy. Our other TEs pull that in.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Pretty sure that first target was at least partially to sell the idea that "we dont view him as just a blocker" so that it didnt look too funny for him to be in the flat, obviously getting ready to block on that screen.

It is an ok idea I guess but if Im a dc dnd I see him out there, I know what Im expecting.

I do expect RJ to do a lot of lead blocking. Lets hope it works out as well as the Latsko years.

I didnt get the sense that Franks was too high on that pass as much as Raymond was too slow and too whiteboy. Our other TEs pull that in.
That was a too high pass. Maybe Krull brings it in it. I doubt our 6'2" tight ends snatch it out of the air. The other thing with high passes is that they expose the receiver to getting creamed on the way down. Or the pass getting intercepted.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was running backwards again as I recall. He has a way to go as a receiver. Its ok. Dude has been a champ for us playing everything from LB to NT to slot receiver now.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Raymond is a glue guy. He’ll make key blocks and at some point(s) be all alone in the flat and get a first down. But I agree, he isn’t as athletic as the other TEs.

leogator

May 5, 2018
I have seen couple of twitter film snippets with Ivey as the target. He did not look good! Hopefully he gets it together this week.

I got give Tyler Jordan credit, he blocked two people on the inside. Scarlett saw that hole disappear real quick. Scarlett could have taken it to the outside since the DE had the inside on Ivey. Maybe it was not Scarlett fault that he looked average. When you see your 5* OT whiff like that!

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I liked the way Franks, on swing passes, lead the target in full stride where the receivers speed wasn't slowed. That's a big difference from last years "wait-for-it" floaters or behind-the-receiver tosses. No telling how many tiny bad habits Mullen has cured Franks of ? They all are adding up.

Correct guys, compared to Krull & Gamble, Lewis is a wasted play. In the scheme of things : our speedsters stretch DBs backward while Gamble-Krull catch it 5+ yards over the middle. For once in too long a time UF;s O-scheme will be dictating the trickery on the opposing Defenses = real football.

Let the hopeful envisioning reach forward : Say our offense keeps dominating even better teams. Imagine our "green" defense gelling into Gator-typical shutdown defense. While joyously celebrating the whole-team development. All with concomitant "get-on-board" faith in the coaches' lessons.

How nice it is to go from "no-bright" to "all-bright".

leogator

May 5, 2018
I liked the way Franks, on swing passes, lead the target in full stride where the receivers speed wasn't slowed. That's a big difference from last years "wait-for-it" floaters or behind-the-receiver tosses. No telling how many tiny bad habits Mullen has cured Franks of ? They all are adding up.

Correct guys, compared to Krull & Gamble, Lewis is a wasted play. In the scheme of things : our speedsters stretch DBs backward while Gamble-Krull catch it 5+ yards over the middle. For once in too long a time UF;s O-scheme will be dictating the trickery on the opposing Defenses = real football.

Let the hopeful envisioning reach forward : Say our offense keeps dominating even better teams. Imagine our "green" defense gelling into Gator-typical shutdown defense. While joyously celebrating the whole-team development. All with concomitant "get-on-board" faith in the coaches' lessons.

OK, @rogdochar what are you on man? I want some :D.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I have seen couple of twitter film snippets with Ivey as the target. He did not look good! Hopefully he gets it together this week.

I got give Tyler Jordan credit, he blocked two people on the inside. Scarlett saw that hole disappear real quick. Scarlett could have taken it to the outside since the DE had the inside on Ivey. Maybe it was not Scarlett fault that he looked average. When you see your 5* OT whiff like that!

Fred Johnson a couple of times blocked the TE's responsibility (or tried to anyway on one occasion ) when they were pulling on running plays preventing nice runs.

Jordan has always had decent fundamentals and doesn't miss on his assignments usually but he doesn't have the size and strength to be a good guard in the SEC.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Good take on RJ. He's a heck of a football player, but they had no business sending him on that route. He's best suited blowing up a DE or LB and - occasionally - catching a short pass somewhere when he's left uncovered, as a check down for the QB.

Ivey needs to get it together or they should put the next guy in. Not sure what he's doing, but I read somewhere that he (and several of the OL's) are "thinking too much" (which is what they were doing the last few years) and they need to break that habit.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Your post suggests we won’t be fighting teams in a phone booth. Execution vs. real competition is another step, buy the stretching of the field horizontally and vertically is at least hinted at now.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

Not a bad read: I think that's a solid point to make--and will give credit to the OC for using our first game and first series to show that look and force the rest of the teams on our schedule to somewhat consider that as an option. Didn't work this time around, but no reason to suspect it couldn't work on another occasion (and with a better pass). Certainly won't be sitting here saying RJ is the fastest player on the team...but all the other TEs are a good 2-4 inches higher, so I don't expect him to have the same leaping ability.

Would love to see RJ fill the Latsko role on our team the rest of the year...think he was one of the underrated players from that 06 team who certainly showed up at the national championship.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

Are you thinking he's supposed to be down blocking his guy? Even giving him the benefit of the doubt shouldn't he have been trying to kick his guy outside if he thought the play had been flipped as that is what it appears the RT is doing? Even if that's the case, and what he thought he should be doing, he would have still failed because he let his guy rip inside him.

leogator

May 5, 2018
As I said in the other thread, it could be that some of the OL mistakes are because they don't remember the plays and the blocking assignments in the running plays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.