The 1989 Corvette convertible restoration thread

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n218027 said:
Throughout this entire thread you've been neglecting the driver's door...what makes the driver's door so much more difficult than the rest?
I was simply moving from right to left, and the drivers side door panel was the last thing. Also, the drivers side takes a much bigger beating than the passenger side, for obvious reasons. With the passenger side door being in such lousy shape, I knew the drivers side would be even worse, which it was. Door panels are a huge pain, they aren't any fun to take apart.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's amazing just how much damage oils from your skin do to the drivers door panel over a few years.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wait til you see the damage his greasy hair does. I can only imagine the seat cushions.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Lot of little things that have been extremely time consuming. The console glove box lid couldn't be attached, because all the screw holes were broken out. This entire interior is held together with screws into plastic. If you overtighten a screw, you break the plastic right off. Lot of cracks and missing screw holes because this interior has been monkeyed with a lot over the years.

In order to get the glove box lid attached, I had to cut a piece of sheet metal to size, then drill holes in it for the screws and install it in place of the broken plastic. It ended up working fine.

014ce3a4677ca01a9f010cbb0dd50648a04fa09107.jpg

The door panel on the drivers side also needed work, as it was cracked in several areas at the top. I had to install some metal brace pieces in order to pull everything back straight. I then painted it and installed the carpet on it like it already did on the passenger side.

01cef43878e02320bb2c261a2d23ffd801e4857d2a.jpg

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't think this really needed to be stickied. It's always at the top of the Lounge anyway. Ox and his toy...............
drill.gif

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That is one fugly door panel. Have you heard of J.C. Whitney????

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n219270 said:
That is one fugly door panel. Have you heard of J.C. Whitney????
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what the back side of a door panel looks like.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I simply gave up.

Actually, I've been on a mini vacation here and will start up again next week. The most exciting part, the new seats, are on their way. I'll also be changing out the outer window seals and the door weatherstripping, and then I can re-install the door panels.

I've also started digging in to the engine. I'm changing the plugs and wires first to see if that resolves the missing problem. I'll be doing a compression test. I'm pretty sure the smoking problem is the valve stem seals, so I've got to get the valve covers off and dive into that problem. In short, there's still a LOT of work to do.....but I'm happy to say the interior is almost done. The mechanic I thought would be helping me won't return my calls, so there's only one thing left to do.....

Do it myself. :fear:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If youre sharing a dip with some of your St Lucie County outlaws or just cruisin around bangin with some Bottleneck hick hop, this ride will make you look like a real man

kb5chl.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Funny this thread has had LIttle Red Corvette in my head. It reminded me of a time when a fairly prudish lady I know admitted she was shocked when she actually figured out that the lyrics weren't really about a sports car. :giggle:

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n221001 said:
Funny this thread has had LIttle Red Corvette in my head. It reminded me of a time when a fairly prudish lady I know admitted she was shocked when she actually figured out that the lyrics weren't really about a sports car. :giggle:

It's not?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.