The Alligator's take on the O-Line

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's been said so much, I'm pretty sure it's a new cliche...Our offensive success or failure will revolve around these big guys.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
When Riles isn't even mentioned, then I know we are fine. Until then, it means we aren't good on the interior o-line.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well, we're about to find out how good (or bad) Summers is. He's got 15+ scholarship players and several of them have significant playing time (or starts) under their belts. If he's a great coach (like some seem to think) our OL will be good-to-very good this year. If it's a sh*t-show, like it's been under his coaching, then I hope McElwain cuts the cord at the end of the year.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:shocked:

we have an O-line? - i thought we've been lining up 5 swing gates in front of our QB's for the last few years.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well, we're about to find out how good (or bad) Summers is. He's got 15+ scholarship players and several of them have significant playing time (or starts) under their belts. If he's a great coach (like some seem to think) our OL will be good-to-very good this year. If it's a sh*t-show, like it's been under his coaching, then I hope McElwain cuts the cord at the end of the year.
I agree. It's time for him to show his coaching prowess or go away, because he's not much of a recruiter.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just a FYI... this is Alligator Army... not the Alligator (UF newspaper).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This team nor any others that I can think of will be championship caliber until they develop the size and strength to consistently punch the opposing defense in the gut...Yes, working as a unit is also key and that's been missing since 2009, however football is first and will always be a game of individual match ups that are won by the biggest and strongest mofo's and the team with the most of these will usually win the game. You want to reduce the number of sacks drastically from last year? Simple, develop a consistent running game that will make teams think twice about blitzing and be more concerned about keeping LBer's frozen in their running lanes.
I have confidence in Mac's ability to coach our QB's and develop a very good passing game and we seem to have a decent group at WR for the first time in eternity but we've got to be able to punish teams between the hash marks to keep their defense off balance and out of full time blitz mode.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This team nor any others that I can think of will be championship caliber until they develop the size and strength to consistently punch the opposing defense in the gut...Yes, working as a unit is also key and that's been missing since 2009, however football is first and will always be a game of individual match ups that are won by the biggest and strongest mofo's and the team with the most of these will usually win the game. You want to reduce the number of sacks drastically from last year? Simple, develop a consistent running game that will make teams think twice about blitzing and be more concerned about keeping LBer's frozen in their running lanes.
I have confidence in Mac's ability to coach our QB's and develop a very good passing game and we seem to have a decent group at WR for the first time in eternity but we've got to be able to punish teams between the hash marks to keep their defense off balance and out of full time blitz mode.
I'm starting to think you're related to WM.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thats a good read. Im also worried about RT with neither Ivey nor Big Fred really being ready.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Burst my bubble. Thought the Alligator had shown marked improvement since I was at UF.

Nope... although Alligator Army is a decent site. I like their articles after games where they break down plays with photos and video clips showing step by step. The funny thing is that I almost didn't click the thread because it said Alligator... glad I did because it was a good read.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nope... although Alligator Army is a decent site. I like their articles after games where they break down plays with photos and video clips showing step by step. The funny thing is that I almost didn't click the thread because it said Alligator... glad I did because it was a good read.

Their Twitter account is decent as well.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

How important do you think the running game is to having a successful offense? :dunno:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, we're about to find out how good (or bad) Summers is. He's got 15+ scholarship players and several of them have significant playing time (or starts) under their belts. If he's a great coach (like some seem to think) our OL will be good-to-very good this year...

True, but considering the very real possibility that our starting O-line will likely include FOUR true sophomores or redshirt freshman they will still be very young and likely a year away from being "very good". In an ideal world most OL wouldn't see playing time until around their 3rd year on campus, as we all know and had discussed at length, they take the longest of any position group to be physically ready.

I look for the position to be significantly better this year but expecting this group, which is so young, to be anything more than average is a bit of a stretch. I hope I'm wrong and Summers proves his coaching chops by performing a miracle with them. It could be worse... we could have 1 sophomore, 3 true freshman and an FCS transfer as our starting O-line....or heaven forbid, Riles back in the starting lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator