The Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
I think there is a valid argument here. However, I’d also argue that we’ve seen many crappy power-5 teams have some good years and then fall off the map when their coach bails. Memphis hasn’t done that. It is also worth noting that Norvell was not at Memphis for Fuente’s success, so the coaching coninuity argument (like Whittingham continuing Meyer) isn’t the same.

Norvell has also continued to recruit well, and I heard, but haven’t researched it, that he pulled in Memphis’ top or at least one of the top 5, Memphis football classes of all time. He also took over with a new QB, which is always iffy.

I’m not saying he’s top 2, but I’d take his offense with Florida recruits (probably the difference with UCF right now). I’d definitely take him over Strong, Campbell, and Mullen.
You've sold me, after watching UCF yesterday and that sideway offense I'm all in on Norvell.

TheAlumni

Oct 29, 2017
The question is, is it easier to take over a program that is winning and continue to win for a year or two or take over a dumpster fire and turn them around.....Norvell took over a winning team and is continuing to win, Frost and Taggert have taken over dumpster first and turned them around.....

NetEngGator

Nov 5, 2017
The question is, is it easier to take over a program that is winning and continue to win for a year or two or take over a dumpster fire and turn them around.....Norvell took over a winning team and is continuing to win, Frost and Taggert have taken over dumpster first and turned them around.....

Is that the question? Because ... at this point, with all the other job opportunities out there ... the question now becomes why come to UF when there are plenty of other positions available. We are now fighting for scraps. So the real question is ... how come Foley still has a freaking office at the UAA after letting the program deteriorate to outdated program it is. We failed 8 years ago when we didn't take our success and reinvest it back into the program. Well ... time to take our medicine and realize that a coach isnt our salvation ... it is only part of it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I am inclined to think that if Frost to Nebraska was a foregone conclusion, he would have notified SS that he has no interest.
A wise man always listens to offers...regardless of his intent to take another or not.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
If you don't attend the games or at least watch them on tv then you don't truly care. The graduates are not the only ones that matter. I would say a large percentage of the fanbase never went to school there and some have never even stepped foot on campus. They do go out and buy their merchandise. My older brother is in Gainesville today and was able to easily cop a couple of tickets to today's game. If that is not telling then I don't know what is. I saw lots of empty seats around the stadium. A few more years of train wreck seasons and a lack of a tangible commitment from the UAA towards the football program and we will be hiring a high school coach.

I no longer attend because I live a long way from Gainesville and don't travel well any more. I do watch on TV when the football is watchable.

I might not have been clear enough, most graduates of UF are not going to stop caring, not going to totally stop watching or going to games. Some probably would.

My wife was watching the game at the restaurant, she identified all our defects on offense in just a little while of watching. She is not totally ignorant of football, but not a coach either.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
They need to come strong. Bring the big boy check book.

Instead of that how about they just find out if he is interested, if so then let him tell us what he needs to be successful, not just his salary. Then we can have a discussion if we are close. If he wants to go back to where he played then he is going.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

That is not a question to me, of course it is much more difficult to turn things around, somewhat depending on what pieces are there. For UF there are a lot of decent players, at least I think so.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That's it boys. I'm applying for the job. Either that or we get mullen, strong, taggert, mullen, Dooley, etc..

I do hate Gainesville but if the UAA leases me a nice home in Newberry I'll come back. Starting salary 500,000 with incremental 500k raises with every Sec east title.

Im good with boosters, love the fans, don't need new facilities (think Rocky 4 or Skyfall)

Unless you guys want to pay 4.5 million for 7 win seasons under any of the above named options.

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
I think Herbstreit has some hidden hatred for UF and nothing would get him more excited than him riling up our fanbase to then have Frost not come here. I hope he is right here.

TheAlumni

Oct 29, 2017
Is that the question? Because ... at this point, with all the other job opportunities out there ... the question now becomes why come to UF when there are plenty of other positions available. We are now fighting for scraps. So the real question is ... how come Foley still has a freaking office at the UAA after letting the program deteriorate to outdated program it is. We failed 8 years ago when we didn't take our success and reinvest it back into the program. Well ... time to take our medicine and realize that a coach isnt our salvation ... it is only part of it.

We can't change anything about the past.......we are in need of talent and numbers.....the question is who can recruit that to come to UF.....at this point I don't see why anyone continues to blame Foley, he's gone and we need to think about the future...all I'm saying is I think Strong, Taggert and Frost all are great choices if you consider their entire careers and not just the last year or two

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If this buzz about Taggart is true we need to go ahead and act so he can do his recruiting magic for this class. I would rather have Norvell but they don't need to wait long if Frost is a lost cause.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My unassailable source tells me that everytime the UF job is mentioned, Frost's son starts drooling.

Last edited:

TheAlumni

Oct 29, 2017
That is not a question to me, of course it is much more difficult to turn things around, somewhat depending on what pieces are there. For UF there are a lot of decent players, at least I think so.

we suited up less than 60 players today, at the height of the 1980s probation era, we had about 60 player eligible, we might have a few great players, but we need numbers and talent to compete.......who can get that for us is the most important issue for me...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
we suited up less than 60 players today, at the height of the 1980s probation era, we had about 60 player eligible, we might have a few great players, but we need numbers and talent to compete.......who can get that for us is the most important issue for me...

Taggart has always recruited great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.