The Death of College Football

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
This past week Urban M made some astute comments on our program and coach. Like the young fella at Ole Miss he has become more mature and introspective. These were his comments.

'Billy Napier and his staff, is there pressure on him?' Meyer said on Martin’s show. 'Hell yeah there is, but that comes with the job. I would not panic if I’m the coaching staff.' 'Florida fans have the right to be upset,' Meyer said. 'They’re fans. Florida is an elite place. Ohio State fans are really upset they’re 11-1. Florida State fans are losing their mind because they’re not in the Playoff. That’s what makes this great. 'I keep hearing about the process, the plan that he has. It’s got to at some point get going, but I would not panic if I’m him. I’d just keep grinding. Just keep your head down and do the very best you can.'
His last comments about not panicking and keep your head down was something he learned at Fla. The panicking part brought him down. The poor bastard could not even enjoy the huge success he brought us. Now he knows. But he has to admit the coaching position now entails MUCH more than he had to deal with during his championships years at UF. The portal and NIL have totally changed the landscape. Its like "lets play this year, shake the bottle and make almost new teams again. " As a coach you would have to be torn in so many gddmmm directions your ass wouldn't know which way was up.
I remember Calapari at UK basketball putting new freshman out there each year and the next many would be gone. Now its the norm in college. Many of you know my passion for UF football and basketball. Ive loved it for a LONG time. What I am watching now is a freak show with nobody in charge. Bama and UGA were lucky enough to be on top when the "everything goes and no rules" began.
Kids have always run to the winning teams if they could and now they can do anytime it seems. I want UF to win. I want a good coach. But I dont want to have to relearn the gdmmm roster each year because of turnover. That isnt how it should work. I want kids like Mertz that love it here. I want kids like Trask that grind until the get their chance. I just want kids here that want to be gators and stay. If that is over college football may not be dead but its on life support. btw I understand a young kid wanting to play for a winning team and making very good money.

seems like its always been true.............money changes everything.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The portal and NIL have totally changed the landscape. Its like "lets play this year, shake the bottle and make almost new teams again. " As a coach you would have to be torn in so many gddmmm directions your ass wouldn't know which way was up.
Smart coaches have already realized this and adjusted...Coach I don't know how to tell you this but EVERYBODIES job being a CFHC or janitor has changed over the last 10-15 years and most dramatically over the last 3 years in particular. You either adapt or you get replaced via another human being or in some cases a machine.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No disagreement Coach. I don’t like the direction things have taken with regard to the free-for-all that the portal and $$$ money has ushered in. I think also that we’ve even managed to de-emphasize or devalue the degree opportunity that goes along with collegiate athletics. I’m waiting to see what it will morph into, but I can see it killing the interest for many older fans. Maybe in our particular case if our staff becomes better able to manage the portal, HS recruiting, and there’s a better plan collectively for the athletes’ payouts, we’ll be more organized and competitive. As it stands right now, we are neither and there’ll be no dividends for UF and fans until that turns 180.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I agree with you Coach about the direction of college football. Like a lot of things it seems like it's becoming something that I don't know if it's worth a grown man's time. I don't know how much that is a factor of just getting older and appreciating the fact that our time is limited or if it is true that the product i.e. college football is not the same as it once was. I suspect it is a little of both. I know I'll keep watching college football (don't watch NFL) but I don't think I'll really give a damn deep down about who wins or loses. I guess that's how it's going to be.

Now as far as "that young fella at Ole Miss" goes, it's really sort of ironic that he's caught on tape dropping "f-bombs" left and right in his office while dismissing a player who's having some mental health issues from his team and suddenly people think Kiffin is “more mature and introspective". You could have fooled me. :lol:

Last edited:

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Just glad my parents, both UF grads, got to see the glory years 2006-2008 before they passed. That really makes me happy!

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Smart coaches have already realized this and adjusted...Coach I don't know how to tell you this but EVERYBODIES job being a CFHC or janitor has changed over the last 10-15 years and most dramatically over the last 3 years in particular. You either adapt or you get replaced via another human being or in some cases a machine.
Ok...so this is just about the most over simplified answer to a very complex problem I have read in awhile. EVERBODIES job HAS NOT changed the way the CF landscape has nor has this CHANGE been for the betterment of the game itself. What it has done created more greed and "me-ism" and just glossing over it with comments like "adapt or get replaced" is either defeatist or passive approval. What we are seeing is a reflection of where our society is headed. So what you are really saying is adapt to that cause there is nothing that can be done. And if that is your position then what coach says about life support I believe is true and not just about a game but democracy and freedom.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I agree with you Coach about the direction of college football. Like a lot of things it seems like it's becoming something that I don't know if it's worth a grown man's time. I don't know how much that is a factor of just getting older and appreciating the fact that our time is limited or if it is true that the product i.e. college football is not the same as it once was. I suspect it is a little of both. I know I'll keep watching college football (don't watch NFL) but I don't think I'll really give a damn deep down about who wins or loses. I guess that's how it's going to be.

Now as far as "that young fella at Ole Miss" goes, it's really sort of ironic that he's caught on tape dropping "f-bombs" left and right in his office while dismissing a player who's having some mental health issues from his team and suddenly people think Kiffin is “more mature and introspective". You could have fooled me. :lol:
I'm sure that neither Saban nor Kirby ever drop F bombs... but I'll bet "Jesus Dabo" does!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just glad my parents, both UF grads, got to see the glory years 2006-2008 before they passed. That really makes me happy!

Same here Delta.
I am just as happy that my Dad didn’t see what has happened to his beloved sports program.
Although difficult at times, the ongoing development of the program over 40 years was gratifying for him and he reveled in the success.
I doubt that he could have dealt with the unnecessary demise that has occurred since his death in 2015.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Its probably my age. When I became a fan it was all about your team, our mascot and colors. TV was rare but the radio helped. I would go to all the home games. It was glorious to a young boy and young man. We knew all the players and had rivals to hate. The SEC was imprinted in our brains. I can name those ten without hesitating. Even the Gainesville paper covered the team top to bottom and printed a complete detailed roster each game day. Now? Nothing. Without the newspaper (editorials and good local sports and news) and a football team that changes year to year I might as well go fishing more often. Or walk down memory lane with my team. I will say I am interested the four team playoff and even the ugafsu game. Im interested in seeing how Wash,. matches up with teams on this side of America.

Me too. My dad became a fan in the 40s. A horrible time. He even remember when Woodruff was a pretty damned good coach. Even then pro baseball messed up one of his good teams. But he saw all the SOS and Urban and he LOVED the 04.s He called Brewer the drunken dribbler. We talked so much gator sports there would three volumes of books printed,

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I think this talk about college football being dead is just a loser's mentality. Its our subconscious trying to make us feel better about having a bad team. Its like the petulant child who doesnt get picked to play saying "I didnt want to play anyway". College football is more popular than ever, at least measured by the TV viewership and $$ flowing into the sport. I dont think fans at winning programs are talking about "well college football is dead". Lets just move past this loser's excuse and try and be successful in the changing landscape.

In regards to BN and Urbans comments, its obvious that BN wants to build a program that is sustainable with less variability (your shake the globe analogy) than other programs. You build that by having a couple years of solid recruiting and establishing a culture that brings the right traits out of the athletes. Its just hard to see him having the time and the fan fortitude to stick through the early years, and he hasnt done himself any favors because its very hard for us to see from the outside any positive results from his process that might give us some patience. Like everyone says, this upcoming season is it, but its still not going to be about the overall record but how the team performs each game. No more stupid penalties, odd plays, busted coverages, etc.. At this point, I am not going to get to high or low based upon who is transferring or signing or decommitting. We cant change anything, I will just look toward next season and see what we get and what decides his fate will fully supporting the team and my alma mater.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

Those F bombs and the conversation he had with the kid he cut didn't bother me one bit.

I'd take Kiffin tomorrow.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"College football" is dead.... except all the other teams.

Teams have always paid players. Alabama got caught paying Means like 200k while he was still in HS in the early 90s.

It just isnt hidden anymore.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Ok...so this is just about the most over simplified answer to a very complex problem I have read in awhile. EVERBODIES job HAS NOT changed the way the CF landscape has nor has this CHANGE been for the betterment of the game itself. What it has done created more greed and "me-ism" and just glossing over it with comments like "adapt or get replaced" is either defeatist or passive approval. What we are seeing is a reflection of where our society is headed. So what you are really saying is adapt to that cause there is nothing that can be done. And if that is your position then what coach says about life support I believe is true and not just about a game but democracy and freedom.
Soooo what are YOU going to do about it? You can quit watching, or quit going to the games if you want to....Trust me there is NO who one is completely happy about this....BUT the better programs will adapt, right?

I'd wager 10K there wouldn't be a thread like this if we were going to the playoffs, huh?

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think this talk about college football being dead is just a loser's mentality. Its our subconscious trying to make us feel better about having a bad team.
Like I just said....does this thread even exist if we were going to the playoffs? :lol:

The best corps. figure out how to hire and keep good help(and this is coming from a small businessman)....it is what it is, like it or not.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Teams have always paid players. Alabama got caught paying Means like 200k while he was still in HS in the early 90s.
Remind me again how Trent Richardsons Mom made the payments on a 4500sqft house and matching Escalades for her and her son on a 20k a year housekeeping job :lol2:

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Soooo what are YOU going to do about it? You can quit watching, or quit going to the games if you want to....Trust me me, there is NO who is completely happy about this....BUT the better programs will adapt, right?

I'd wager 10K there wouldn't be a thread like this if we were going to the playoffs, huh?
Believe me, I have lost a ton of interest. Winning program to the highest bidder. Nice!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think this talk about college football being dead is just a loser's mentality. Its our subconscious trying to make us feel better about having a bad team. Its like the petulant child who doesnt get picked to play saying "I didnt want to play anyway". College football is more popular than ever, at least measured by the TV viewership and $$ flowing into the sport. I dont think fans at winning programs are talking about "well college football is dead". Lets just move past this loser's excuse and try and be successful in the changing landscape.

In regards to BN and Urbans comments, its obvious that BN wants to build a program that is sustainable with less variability (your shake the globe analogy) than other programs. You build that by having a couple years of solid recruiting and establishing a culture that brings the right traits out of the athletes. Its just hard to see him having the time and the fan fortitude to stick through the early years, and he hasnt done himself any favors because its very hard for us to see from the outside any positive results from his process that might give us some patience. Like everyone says, this upcoming season is it, but its still not going to be about the overall record but how the team performs each game. No more stupid penalties, odd plays, busted coverages, etc.. At this point, I am not going to get to high or low based upon who is transferring or signing or decommitting. We cant change anything, I will just look toward next season and see what we get and what decides his fate will fully supporting the team and my alma mater.
very much agree with this. im not a fan at all of where things have gone in cfb, but we also wouldnt be having these convos if our team and W/L record looked like bama, georgia, fsu, michigan, texas, etc. the "cfb is dead" and "i hate the new norm" narratives are primarily from fans of sorry ass teams. its fitting we are one of the loudest in the bunch. there are plenty of teams that have figured things out quickly, or have even learned how to thrive in this new atmosphere. tater either figures it out in lightspeed at this point, or he can join the chorus of "cfb is dead" football fans from his plain brown 80s style couch in his wallpapered and shag carpet living room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.