The Death of College Football

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I do think college football needs to be reformed a bit more from this free-for-all clusterfuch we currently have.

My suggestions are:

1) a 1-time cap on transfers; anything more than that, you have to sit out a year. Players transferring 4 times in 4 years is ridiculous--no professional league allows unlimited free agency, why on earth should college sports?

2) a NIL cap (let's say $100M max per team). Again, nearly every pro sports league has a salary cap to work (and the ones that don't quickly spend themselves into oblivion via reckless and financially unsustainable spending)--why shouldn't college sports? It'll drive down a lot of the portal nonsense and let's face it: it won't change things too much. The bigger, wealthier programs will be able to afford it--the schools like FAU won't.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
The NIL and the unlimited transfer portal is the perfect storm. But the American way of solving a problem is to always just create a larger problem.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
"College football" is dead.... except all the other teams.

Teams have always paid players. Alabama got caught paying Means like 200k while he was still in HS in the early 90s.

It just isnt hidden anymore.
For those not familiar, the Albert Means story is pretty fascinating. The guy who ultimately paid Means the money was a Memphis-based Bama booster named Logan Young who died in 2006 when I happened to be living there. Young's cause of death was from a severe cut to his head leading to him bleeding to death. If I recall correctly, he had consumed quite a bit of alcohol which not only exacerbated the blood flow, but prevented him from realizing just how badly he was hurt. There was so much blood that initially it looked like it was a homicide. (I think his son was a bit of a "troubled" young man and was immediately a suspect.)

As for Means he lasted one season at Bama and ultimately transferred to U Memphis, and was a solid player, but never reached his potential. He was a UDFA who never made it on a regular season roster.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I do think college football needs to be reformed a bit more from this free-for-all clusterfuch we currently have.

My suggestions are:

1) a 1-time cap on transfers; anything more than that, you have to sit out a year. Players transferring 4 times in 4 years is ridiculous--no professional league allows unlimited free agency, why on earth should college sports?

2) a NIL cap (let's say $100M max per team). Again, nearly every pro sports league has a salary cap to work (and the ones that don't quickly spend themselves into oblivion via reckless and financially unsustainable spending)--why shouldn't college sports? It'll drive down a lot of the portal nonsense and let's face it: it won't change things too much. The bigger, wealthier programs will be able to afford it--the schools like FAU won't.
Joel Klatt said something similar over the weekend.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Decades ago before I got old, I looked down at Florida Field and our players. I asked myself, why is this so important to me? I didn't personally know anyone on that field. It made more sense to care while I was in school, because I knew a bunch of guys, but not now. I came to the conclusion that in reality we/I never grew out our cave man instincts for Tribal war. So rather than go to war, we go to battle on the football field. To a lesser extent we do the same thing with any college sport.

Now, should I care when the Tribe is comprised of nothing but mercenaries? Nah, not really. I care only a little, and it's probably because I wish the game was different than it is now.

You can counterargue that the NFL is comprised of nothing but mercenaries. But first pro loyalty is different. And, second, it's cleverly constructed more like show biz than college.

So that's my old man theory and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
My son starts College in August and baseball will be over but he has picked golf and is addicted. That's where I will spend my Saturdays. Because, It doesn't mean more.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Things are cyclic, at least I hope they are...its just been a long time since it was our cycle. Bama and uga got so lucky to be on top when the rules changed and we got F'd having Foley leading us into the transition. He really F'd us. Our boosters also screwed the pooch with taking so long to get the NIL rolling. It is a different landscape now but it also really isnt. UF has deep pockets so eventually it should level out. We just need some luck to help with timing.
1702486598398.png

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Decades ago before I got old, I looked down at Florida Field and our players. I asked myself, why is this so important to me? I didn't personally know anyone on that field. It made more sense to care while I was in school, because I knew a bunch of guys, but not know. I came to the conclusion that in reality we/I never grew out our cave man instincts for Tribal war. So rather than go to war, we go to battle on the football field. To a lesser extent we do the same thing with any college sport.

Now should I care when the Tribe is comprised of nothing but mercenaries? Nah, not really. I care only a little, and it's probably because I wish the game was different than it is now.

You can counterargue that the NFL is comprised of nothing but mercenaries. But first pro loyalty is different. And, second, it's cleverly constructed more like show biz than college.

So that's my old man theory and I'm sticking to it.
its a pretty good theory. the nfl comment is apropos as well. the pros may be mercs, but they are open and honest about it. college still pretends to be about "kids" and "education" and "amateurism" and "for love of the game."

spare me the tiny violin garbage. it also irritates the hell out of me that we (the taxpayers) are paying for these pricks education, lodging, food, etc. while many of them now profit significantly. many of them way more so than those of us subsidizing them. if cfb is going to be for profit and for pay, then those earning money can pay their own damn way. Ive got no problem having tax dollars go to help out college students, but not those type. most of them dont even get a degree, and if they do its in some trash major like gymnasium management or sports and recreation where they can immediately apply to be a part time PE teacher or boys kickball coach at a local ymca.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Things are cyclic, at least I hope they are...its just been a long time since it was our cycle. Bama and uga got so lucky to be on top when the rules changed. Our boosters also screwed the pooch with taking so long to get the NIL rolling. It is a different landscape now but it also really isnt. UF has deep pockets so eventually it should level out. We just need some luck to help with timing.

You are spot on. The moment that the portal and NIL rules changed, it was going to be fine for the teams currently at the top, and a disaster for those trying to get there. If it’d happened in 2008-09, teams like uga would’ve been in our shoes. As it was, while I know they play the game, teams like uga and Ala don’t need to lead with NIL. Their resume speaks for itself and smart kids know it’s a one way ticket to the league. And if they happen to be a rising star that got overlooked in recruiting and are playing at a lesser program, they’ll get noticed now and can make the move.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You are spot on. The moment that the portal and NIL rules changed, it was going to be fine for the teams currently at the top, and a disaster for those trying to get there. If it’d happened in 2008-09, teams like uga would’ve been in our shoes. As it was, while I know they play the game, teams like uga and Ala don’t need to lead with NIL. Their resume speaks for itself and smart kids know it’s a one way ticket to the league. And if they happen to be a rising star that got overlooked in recruiting and are playing at a lesser program, they’ll get noticed now and can make the move.
Being a gateway to the league is huge.... We are not a gateway to the league.

DeltaGlamma

Born a Gator
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Were they off-planet and unable to see Spurrier's glory years?
You are correct, I should have included the Spurrier years. They loved Spurrier!

Mom did not like Urbs at all, but she loved loved loved Tebow.

Dad was a diehard fan who would not leave a game until the final snap was over, no matter what the score or weather. There is a family story about him sitting through a rain filled FL-GA game until the very end with a final score of 51-0 in favor of UGA.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Gators in the NFL:
2017 - 45 (tied for 2nd)
2018 - 38 (3rd)
2019 - 35 (3rd)
2020 - 39 (4th)
2021 - 32 (8th)
2022 - 35 (7th)
2023 - 34 (8th)

States with players in NFL in 2023 (dont suspect this changes much year to year):
Texas - 187
Florida - 178
Cali - 173
georgia - 150
huge drop off from there...

Seems like a simple solution...

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
This past week Urban M made some astute comments on our program and coach. Like the young fella at Ole Miss he has become more mature and introspective. These were his comments.

His last comments about not panicking and keep your head down was something he learned at Fla. The panicking part brought him down. The poor bastard could not even enjoy the huge success he brought us. Now he knows. But he has to admit the coaching position now entails MUCH more than he had to deal with during his championships years at UF. The portal and NIL have totally changed the landscape. Its like "lets play this year, shake the bottle and make almost new teams again. " As a coach you would have to be torn in so many gddmmm directions your ass wouldn't know which way was up.
I remember Calapari at UK basketball putting new freshman out there each year and the next many would be gone. Now its the norm in college. Many of you know my passion for UF football and basketball. Ive loved it for a LONG time. What I am watching now is a freak show with nobody in charge. Bama and UGA were lucky enough to be on top when the "everything goes and no rules" began.
Kids have always run to the winning teams if they could and now they can do anytime it seems. I want UF to win. I want a good coach. But I dont want to have to relearn the gdmmm roster each year because of turnover. That isnt how it should work. I want kids like Mertz that love it here. I want kids like Trask that grind until the get their chance. I just want kids here that want to be gators and stay. If that is over college football may not be dead but its on life support. btw I understand a young kid wanting to play for a winning team and making very good money.

seems like its always been true.............money changes everything.
Alumni Guy you really are a newbie, stick around and learn grasshopper...GO GATORS...:jog:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We do appear to be a gateway to the transfer portal.

Pate from On3 was talking about why destinations like Kentucky are becoming really good transfer destination. Basically after the 18 year olds go to the places with flash, they transfer to places where they can be developed.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
I don’t like the direction things have taken with regard to the free-for-all that the portal and $$$ money has ushered in. I think also that we’ve even managed to de-emphasize or devalue the degree opportunity that goes along with collegiate athletics
The downward spiral of college athletics (in parallel with that of the culture in general) is what makes the Army -Navy game so satisfying to watch—a sort of nostalgic look at the way things used to be, or should be.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gators in the NFL:
2017 - 45 (tied for 2nd)
2018 - 38 (3rd)
2019 - 35 (3rd)
2020 - 39 (4th)
2021 - 32 (8th)
2022 - 35 (7th)
2023 - 34 (8th)

States with players in NFL in 2023 (dont suspect this changes much year to year):
Texas - 187
Florida - 178
Cali - 173
georgia - 150
huge drop off from there...

Seems like a simple solution...
Exactly why we spend our time recruiting in Louisiana and Alabama!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pate from On3 was talking about why destinations like Kentucky are becoming really good transfer destination. Basically after the 18 year olds go to the places with flash, they transfer to places where they can be developed.
Developed on a team with zero offense that goes 3-5 in the SEC?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Developed on a team with zero offense that goes 3-5 in the SEC?

Not just Kentucky, but schools like Kentucky, was using Kentucky, because they got a QB, WR, and RB from the portal the first day. Have a rookie starting quarterback in the league. Stoops has managed the portal well, especially compared to what we are dealing with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator