The Golf Thread

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator;n2972 said:
I just got a new set of forged mizuno t-zoids. Great set of irons. I am gonna lengthen them and throw on some lamkin cords tomorrow.
I just got a set of JPX myself. Used, only once, graphite and mid grips. I'm happy.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n3854 said:
I just got a set of JPX myself. Used, only once, graphite and mid grips. I'm happy.
Mizuno makes the highest quality irons of all the major manufacturers imo. I have worked in a golf shop since I was 10, and we are constantly fixing callaways and taylormades, but we rarely get a Mizuno through the door.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Callaway and Taylormade are basically just masters of marketing.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I had my clubs made in Jax at a place called Lowden Golf I think? Haven't used them in 10 years. My back just can't take it anymore.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Does Lebron James flop in golf also?

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n4339 said:
This. Some of the highest quality clubs out there come from no name component companies.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just bought a new set of Golf Shoes from Dockers. The are called Street 2 Tee. I'll try to find a good picture.

Attachments

• conv_129.jpg
    conv_129.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 45

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
deuce coupe;n4487 said:
I just bought a new set of Golf Shoes from Dockers. The are called Street 2 Tee. I'll try to find a good picture.

:barfaway:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n4339 said:

Hey now, I play Callaway blades. Bought them used in 98' (after my 82' Wilson Staffs got jacked from truck).
Though I have hit the Mizuno's before and really liked them - it almost felt like cheating, they were so easy and effortless to hit.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n4196 said:
Have you played yet NV?
Yeah, they really are amazing. I'm shocked at how forgiving they are with my horrible game.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n4555 said:
Hey now, I play Callaway blades. Bought them used in 98' (after my 82' Wilson Staffs got jacked from truck).
Though I have hit the Mizuno's before and really liked them - it almost felt like cheating, they were so easy and effortless to hit.
Earlier callaways arent bad. In fact the older big bertha irons were some of the best, but they were ugly as sin. The new stuff from callaway is pretty hit or miss though. The workmanship from the factory is awful.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator;n4205 said:
Mizuno makes the highest quality irons of all the major manufacturers imo. I have worked in a golf shop since I was 10, and we are constantly fixing callaways and taylormades, but we rarely get a Mizuno through the door.
Got any recommendation for driver or fairway woods? I see 80% of folks on the links with a Burner but I think it's like you said, marketing.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I pay very little attention to golf. Even though i love to play. But I'm going to go ahead and establish myself as the resident dufner hater just to keep things interesting.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n4580 said:
I pay very little attention to golf. Even though i love to play. But I'm going to go ahead and establish myself as the resident dufner hater just to keep things interesting.
That's too bad. A LeBron lover and a Dufner hater. Interesting. You like flopping but hat dipping?

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n4555 said:
Hey now, I play Callaway blades. Bought them used in 98' (after my 82' Wilson Staffs got jacked from truck). Though I have hit the Mizuno's before and really liked them - it almost felt like cheating, they were so easy and effortless to hit.
I don't really have a problem with the clubs themselves. A lot of my buddies have Callaway clubs and they hit just fine. I just don't like the marketing. It's all about distance to them.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n4576 said:
Got any recommendation for driver or fairway woods? I see 80% of folks on the links with a Burner but I think it's like you said, marketing.
Almost impossible to make a recommendation. I would have to see you swing, but the Ping G series drivers are very good. I still have a G5 that I pull out of the closet when my regular driver is acting up. The driver I am using now is a little hard to find because it is made by a super small component company called SMT, but if you can find one I highly recommend it. They have several different models, but I have the 455 deep bore. For woods look for something with a shallow face. Imo the Adams tight lie is the best faiway wood ever made. Super easy to hit off the tee or the grass. The most important part of any club is the shaft though. If you get a club with the right shaft it almost doesnt matter what kind of head you have.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Club head technology (for drivers especially) has pretty much maxed out (unless they bring back liquid metal). Shaft technology on the other hand is still rapidly improving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.