The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Utah

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
IMG_2067.jpeg

Mertz - not on the early Heisman watch, but not the dog that many feared, either, in this small and skewed sample. 31/44 for 333, 1 TD, 1 Int; got the hell beat out of him but kept going. If we can protect him, he’ll be serviceable at worst, but we can win with him…if he’s not killed in action.

IMG_2068.jpeg

The OL was hot garbage. Could not muster a running game, crazy with two stud RBs, couldn’t protect the QB, couldn’t line up, couldn’t go on the cadence. Hard to gauge how strong, cohesive, and able they really are because they were so bad technically. They had a hand in 1/13 3rd down efficiency.

IMG_2069.jpeg

Billy and the staff were a disorganized series of car wrecks. And understand, I like the guy’s intangibles…recruiting, overall program rebuild, growing high character guys, etc. But he will be the next fired millionaire sooner than later if he doesn’t get an OC, a Spec Teams coordinator, and start getting in some assistant coach and ga @sses when we have two #3’s in at the same time, miss FGs, can’t line up, and can’t block dick. All the goodwill built up by the positive changes Billy brought in were thrown out the car window with the empty beer bottles on the road trip home from Salt Lake City.

*My disclaimer…I had duty at a HS game and followed on my phone as I could, so I’m following with this small departure from the usual. Caught the 4th quarter on the radio while riding home. Watched the highlights when I got home and then this morning. Vomited. I’ll watch a rebroadcast later on. I want Billy to succeed. I think he is a good man with great program ideas. But he needs to be the CEO, not OC or ST Coordinator. If he doesn’t last, neither should Stricklin and Foley should have already been long gone.

:chomp:

Last edited:

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I love your write-ups and I think you said it all with your abbreviated take. Nice work.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Could you do this any earlier? I always enjoy "coffee with Cover" on the mornings after the game and, well, I've already had my coffee and I think we can all see what time you posted this. :facepalm:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Could you do this any earlier? I always enjoy "coffee with Cover" on the mornings after the game and, well, I've already had my coffee and I think we can all see what time you posted this. :facepalm:
F**k, have a beer with it. I’m still working…some.

:lol:

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Doesn't have the same ring to it, IMO.

But, your assessment was spot on and the production of it, in using The Good, Bad and the Ugly, was top tier.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
... But he will be the next fired millionaire sooner than later if he doesn’t get an OC, a Spec Teams coordinator...
This.
100% within Napiers' control.
Should have been done this off season.

Last edited:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There is no gumption from this guy. No fire or passion. He coaches with the intensity of a man tasked with painting his bathroom and our team is a mirror image of his laissez faire whatever happens happens attitude . The idiotic penalties at critical moments, gifts to the opponent and dreadful play calling and decision making from this bastard will continue no doubt .

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There is no gumption from this guy. No fire or passion. He coaches with the intensity of a man tasked with painting his bathroom and our team is a mirror image of his laissez faire whatever happens happens attitude . The idiotic penalties at critical moments, gifts to the opponent and dreadful play calling and decision making from this bastard will continue no doubt .

I’ve always felt like you were still somewhat undecided on Napier. But I’m starting to notice little signs that you may have reached a conclusion, and not in his favor. Subtle, no doubt. But to the trained eye, they’re there.

bacongator

Oct 10, 2014
I agree with everything about the offense and the special teams, but one thing I noticed was the improvement of the defense in the second half and our overall improvement on third down - we held them to 3/13. Clearly the first play of the game was horrible, but in the second half we caused three three-and-outs out of their five possessions (I'm not counting the final kneeldown). The one second half touchdown was after the turnover on the 11 yard line. At one point the statistic on the screen said that we had held them to 50 yards in the second half. All told, we held them to 270 yards, 70 of which came on the first play. It wasn't perfect, but to me it seemed like a big improvement over last year's defense (not just statistically, but it just looked better to the eye). They won't be able to survive if our offense doesn't get untracked and the special teams puts us in bad positions, but it would be nice if the defense can continue to improve.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I appreciate the write up Cover. Its painful knowing what needs to be done and knowing it won't happen.....just like Mullen hanging on to Grantham, Billy needs an OC and ST coach in the worst way, but I'm fairly certain he won't ever see it that way.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I like Billy and hope he succeeds. If(when) he fails, it won’t be due to laziness. Unfortunately, he seems to possess the same ego and unwillingness to change and adapt that his predecessors had.

The only sign that this may not be the case is that he was willing to push Toney out the door after one season of failing miserably.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
There are certain moments that define our crappy coaches: our 2 linemen blocking each other for Muschamp or the shoe throwing incident.

If Napier keeps sucking, the same number jersey thing is gonna be his crown jewel of incompetence.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
What a chit show it was.
When teams put 8 men near the line of scrimmage on defense you’re not going to have good numbers running. That’s how Vandy beat us and will probably be the blueprint of opposing defenses going forward.
It is what it is , it all hinges on our Oline getting a hell of a lot better in pass blocking. If that happens it will open up the run game.
I don’t think it’s time to panic, the next two weeks will determine that.

Schwifty

Sep 4, 2016
He looks so indifferent on the sideline and it’s mind boggling. I don’t think i’ve seen a shot of him upset. How can he not show frustration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator