The Great Moments vs. Tennersee thread

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The entire game of 2008 was fantastic, but the best part is seeing all the Vol fans leave the stadium at the 10:10 mark.

[video=youtube;RLTQ2uA_lQs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLTQ2uA_lQs[/video]

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Two great moments, one I was present for, one I wasn't:
  • Present: 1984, living in ATL at the time, and went to the game in Knoxville on the bus ride (three buses) with the Atlanta Gator Club. Game was a back-and-forth affair, we'd go up by 13, they'd cut it to 6. I had never been in a crowd THAT big (94,000) but I swore that Florida Field (before it was The Swamp) with only 72,000, was louder. We won, 43-30 (it's on the Coke bottle for "winning" the SEC), and as we tried to leave, the drunken Hillbillies threw empty whiskey bottles at our bus.
  • Not present: September 20,1997 - day of my older son's Bar Mitzvah. After services, we all went to the hotel where our guests were staying, including one of my wife's first cousins, who is a Vol alum. We had the game on in the hospitality room, and had a fun time with him, esp when Peyton threw that pick-6 to Tony George. He was pretty good about it.
BTW, that son who had his Bar Mitzvah that day was not even a month old when I went to the game in Knoxville, and now he's 31 and he and I will be in The Swamp tomorrow. He's been to many UF games (he graduated from Georgia Southern, but is a big UF fan), but never Tennessee, so this should be a treat. Come to think of it, I haven't seen us play the Vols since that day in Knoxville in '84.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The jabbar Gaffney drop that was called a touchdown is my favorite. You know there was some pissed off Tennessee fans going home that day.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The rain game in 95 (and L. Wright's hit on Kent) - the party at our house after the game that night was outrageous, everybody stripping out of their wet clothes and borrowing anything dry my roommate and I had. Listed at #4 biggest UF win from 1990-2007. Going into the game, UF was #4 UT was #8.
4. 1995: Florida vs. Tennessee
The Gators trailed 30-21 at home at the half before erupting in the second half with 41 points on six straight possessions that throttled the Volunteers in a 62-37 win. It was in this game that Peyton Manning left Joey Kent hang out to dry on a pass play, and Lawrence Wright hit him so hard that Kent bit off the tip of his tongue. This was the largest margin of victory over Tennessee before last year's 59-20 win.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n285428 said:
The jabbar Gaffney drop that was called a touchdown is my favorite. You know there was some pissed off Tennessee fans going home that day.

Tennessee fans whine about that call all the damn time.

It's wasn't 4th down with 0:01 on the clock.

It was 23-20 UT. Florida had second and goal from the 5 with 14 seconds left in the game.

If that play is ruled incomplete, Spurrier has another chance for a game-winning touchdown on third down and if he doesn't get it there, he has 4th down to either tie it up with a FG (and overtime) or go for the win. Does anybody think if that play is ruled incomplete we don't score a TD on 3rd down from the 5??? C'mon.

Contrast that with the terrible PI call on Dallas Baker (should have been on Tennessee or maybe offsetting) combined with the refs not running the clock correctly giving the Vols an extra 23 or 24 seconds. Setting aside the ridiculous PI call, if they had just run the clock the way they were supposed to, Tennessee would have had less than 20 seconds to drive to field goal range. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

Alex.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n285009 said:
[video=youtube;SYivZy1iJ48]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYivZy1iJ48[/video]

Doug couldn't seem to hit Travis in those highlights. 3 misses...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator