The lesson P.J. Fleck learned from Jim Tressel in the loss to Florida

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I really like PJ Fleck - and he should have held out for a better job than Minnesota:

The lesson P.J. Fleck learned from Jim Tressel in the loss to Florida

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...arned-from-Jim-Tressel-in-the-loss-to-Florida

Two of the biggest moments of P.J. Fleck’s career came when he was cut as an NFL player, and when he experienced a loss in the national championship game with Ohio State.

Fleck opened up Tuesday’s Big Ten Media Days and was asked about the influences in his life. His first coaching experience came as a graduate assistant at OSU in 2006. That year, the Buckeyes reached the national title game, and it was there Fleck learned the most about Jim Tressel’s coaching style: Poise, and that nobody's perfect

“Here I am, my first year of coaching. You’re 5-0, 6-0, 8-0, 10-0, 12-0. I’m like, this coaching thing is pretty easy,” Fleck said. “You go to the national championship, this ain’t bad. Then it was against Florida, on the headset, and I remember Jim Tressel saying in the first quarter, ‘Boys, if we don’t get this first down, it’s over.’”

In that game, OSU returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown, but the Gators took a 14-7 lead later in the quarter. The Gators would go on to win 41-14.

“I’m sitting there thinking, this is Jim Tressel. This is incredible,” Fleck said. “But it was one of the biggest teaching moments of my life, because I put him on such a pedestal, he’s so perfect, and then we played Florida and got beat. To watch him handle the loss was incredible. With poise, with dignity, with integrity, complimenting Florida. First class in everything he did. Those are the things and moments you remember. You want to be like the people that shaped your life.”

Fleck also pointed to the moment his coaching career started, which was right when his playing career ended. Mike Nolan cut him as a 49ers wide receiver, but offered him a job spending time in all aspects of the 49ers organization. Instead, Fleck took the OSU job.

Now a Big Ten head coach, he credits his coaches and educators along the way.

When you have coaches like that who believe in you, you need that,” he said. “The only reason I’m the head coach at the University of Minnesota are guys like Greg Schiano, Mike Nolan, Joe Novak, Jim Tressel. That’s who got me interested. My high school coaches, my track coach, those are the people I remember.

“I remember my third grade teacher, Miss Jacob, who got me interested in reading and called me out because I couldn’t read. We remember our educators, our teachers, our coaches. Those are the people that have influenced my life.”

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He must be talking about the 4th and short when Wells got stuffed . It was on their side of the field in the 1st half as I recall.
Really dumb move, but they were getting their ass kicked either way.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
He must be talking about the 4th and short when Wells got stuffed . It was on their side of the field in the 1st half as I recall.
Really dumb move, but they were getting their ass kicked either way.

Dumb move, but it only resulted in us getting a field goal. They could've made that first down and we'd still end up beating their A$$ cause they couldn't block our D-line, plain and simple.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dumb move, but it only resulted in us getting a field goal. They could've made that first down and we'd still end up beating their A$$ cause they couldn't block our D-line, plain and simple.

Yep. It was men against boys out there. Complete dominance on both ends. CL definitely saved his best for last. He was amazing that night.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. It was men against boys out there. Complete dominance on both ends. CL definitely saved his best for last. He was amazing that night.
He didnt "save" shyt. The clueless fvkking offensive coaching staff FINALLY let him throw the ball instead trying to run the gd option. What a fvkking moeron Dan Mullett is. All he knows is QB middle, QB left, QB right.

Last edited:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
He didnt save shyt. The moron coaching staff FINALLY let him theow the ball instead trying to run the gd option.

Imagine the numbers Leak could've amassed in a Spurrier offense, still think he threw the tightest spiral of any of the Florida QBs that I remember. Most underrated QB in UF history in my opinion.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Imagine the numbers Leak could've amassed in a Spurrier offense, still think he threw the tightest spiral of any of the Florida QBs that I remember. Most underrated QB in UF history in my opinion.

Look what he did in Fedora's offense, and imagine what he could have done if he didn't have to learn three offenses in 4 years. If Leak would have had Fedora or Spurrier for his 4 years, he would have put up video game numbers.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If PJ Fleck didn't get the ESPN blowjob that McElwain got 2/3 years earlier.... wouldn't anyone know who he was? Does everyone think he is a good coach, because he is a good coach or because of an edited piece that ESPN did on him? ESPN promotes who they choose to promote, and when they don't pan out (Muschamp) they cut bait....

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tressel is a scumbag who got a five year ban from college football for lying, cheating and covering up. When I hear somebody talking about how much dignity, integrity and class he has, it's a huge red flag.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
The lesson that should have been learned is when you have a complete team with better athletes it is somewhat easy to win. Our d line dominated and when that happens offense is very difficult to obtain. Our fast receivers and enough time destroyed their zone defense. Thus a 41-14 victory that could have been worse if the refs called that penalty on the run back negating that seven points.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He didnt "save" shyt. The clueless fvkking offensive coaching staff FINALLY let him throw the ball instead trying to run the gd option. What a fvkking moeron Dan Mullett is. All he knows is QB middle, QB left, QB right.
It's still mind boggling that they didn't run that same offense when Brantley was QB instead of the 15 options a game

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's still mind boggling that they didn't run that same offense when Brantley was QB instead of the 15 options a game

Different OC, I'm not a fan of Cousin Eddie as a Head Coach, or really much of a OC. But he was a 1000 times better than Addazio.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Different OC, I'm not a fan of Cousin Eddie as a Head Coach, or really much of a OC. But he was a 1000 times better than Addazio.
Different OC, but same staff. It's not like they didn't have the playbook. Addazio could've taken that Championship game playbook and picked plays using an assortment of D&D dice and done better

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tressel is a scumbag who got a five year ban from college football for lying, cheating and covering up. When I hear somebody talking about how much dignity, integrity and class he has, it's a huge red flag.
Exactly. My first thoughts were, "Who gives a fûck about that lying sack of shït Jim Tressel? The guy's as sleazy as they come."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator