The more imposing athletic freak: Clowney vs Garrett

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Freaks

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/i...spects-fared-nfl-combine-day-3-2017-nfl-draft

Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
Rank entering combine: No. 1 overall | No. 1 DE

What Garrett did on Sunday was absolutely absurd. At 6-foot-4 and 272 pounds, this guy is built like an NBA power forward, but he tested like someone much smaller. He jumped 41 inches in the vertical. To put that in perspective, Odell Beckham Jr. jumped 38.5 inches -- at 198 pounds. And Garrett's 10-foot-8-inch broad jump showed off terrific lower-body explosiveness. Long story short, Garrett has a truly rare physical skill set (look at the table below comparing his numbers to Jadeveon Clowney, one of the best size/speed freaks in recent memory). At this point, given his quality tape, college production and measurables, I think it would be really tough for the Browns to pass on Garrett at No. 1 overall.

Broad Jump: MG - 10'8. JC - 10'4
Bench: MG - 33. JC - 21
Vertical: MG - 41. JC 37.5
49: MG - 4.64. JC 4.53

And supposedly his work ethic is 10 times better than Clowney.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The difference is in production as a pass rusher. Garrett didn't do well against quality opponents. I mean, over a third of his career sacks came against pure garbage (Prairie View, Nevada, and one other trash team). He got a number of other sacks against teams with losing records or trash QBs like Auburn. He is clearly disruptive. I do not view him as an elite pass rusher. Him having a rep for taking plays off doesn't help either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator