The National Signing Day Thread

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oddly enough.... sad news to the last of you McElscusers.... we seem to be developing recruiting momentum. Several flips appear to be coming our way. Pierce and Matty Corral still recruiting flips. I think we are going to get another QB too.

Fatazz was always THE drag on our recruiting.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Something fishy doesn't necessarily mean something the UAA did something fishy.

True, but when he’s quoting Chizik, who apparently came out and defended Mac, while also alluding to Mac’s great recruiting, I took it as a shot at UF. Maybe I’m misinterpreting what he meant but that was my initial take on it.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
True, but when he’s quoting Chizik, who apparently came out and defended Mac, while also alluding to Mac’s great recruiting, I took it as a shot at UF. Maybe I’m misinterpreting what he meant but that was my initial take on it.

I saw Chizik's comments during a segment with Chris Doering. He was clearly taking a shot at Florida administrators for firing McElwain before he had a "fair chance" to prove himself. This is nothing more than a former coach turned commentator protecting "the brotherhood".

A coach could go winless for a couple of decades and these guys would give you a dozen reasons why their teams are struggling. Vitale, Jeff Van Gundy and any number of others, including Chizik, defend the coaching profession above all else. There are very few who are critical of their former colleagues. I don't think Chizik has access to any inside info that caused him to say something was "fishy" in Gainesville.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Every time a sh*tty coach gets coach gets fired, they feel the need to interview Chizik and Chimp. I think they may be the Union Reps for the International Brotherhood of Sh*tty Coaches.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Something is fishy at Auburn as well. It's called " we don't have to tolerate over paid skanky azz coaches" and will send their collective butts packing. If you want to continue to get recycled find a job in the NFL. As a matter of fact several of our old coaches are now settled in with nice NFL jobs including Zook and Sanders.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Looks like Auburn is after a bunch of our recruits:

How Jim McElwain’s departure could benefit Auburn’s recruiting class

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-jim-mcelwain-helps-tigers

4-star DE/OLB Richard Jibunor, Athens, Ga.
When the Jim McElwain news dropped at Florida, Richard Jibunor seemed like the most-affected prospect that would benefit Auburn. The Tigers have always been perceived as the most-likely landing spot, but that belief has waned some in recent months.

Jibunor insisted his decision was down to Auburn, Florida and Tennessee — a tough decision because of hot seat conversations. Butch Jones’ job security appears to be a ticking time bomb. McElwain is already out. Gus Malzahn is in the safest place right now, but there are plenty of doubts there, as well, depending on how Auburn closes out the 2017 season.

Leading up to this week, all my sources close to the Jibunor recruitment felt Tennessee was trending backward in a hurry. Auburn and Florida were likely to battle until the end. But the McElwain firing caught Jibunor off guard. He wants to have a decision made by the middle of November, and it’s tough to think Florida can get its coaching staff confirmed in time to both do their own evaluation on Jibunor and build a strong enough relationship to convince him Florida is still the place to be.

Obviously the Auburn staff has some doubts, too, but Jibunor also had Auburn on his mind prior to meeting the staff. His friendship with Prince Tega Wanogho made the Plains a home-like feel before he developed his strong relationship linebackers coach Travis Williams and defensive line coach Rodney Garner.

I expect the McElwain “parting of ways” to be the final straw that results in Jibunor’s commitment to Auburn.

4-star WR Anthony Schwartz, Plantation, Fla.
Last month, Anthony Schwartz told SEC Country his college decision was down to Auburn and Florida. Those were the two schools he liked the most — and felt liked him the most. Since then, he’s stated his intention to consider Houston, as well, potentially on just a track scholarship to learn from the great Carl Lewis.

But, in a weird way, this news could have an adverse effect on Auburn’s chances with Schwartz. Part of Florida’s problem with Schwartz is that the Gators are out of wide receiver room in their 2018 class. It’s always been possible for guys like Jacob Copeland and JaMarr Chase to flip to other programs, but that possibility increases dramatically now. If that were to happen, the new coaching staff would need to work quickly to find high-level receivers interested in the Gators.

Schwartz would top that list, as far as uncommitted prospects go.

With that said, if the new coaching staff wanted taller, more physical wide receivers, this could prove to be a benefit for Auburn. Kodi Burns and Schwartz have perhaps the 4-star wide receiver’s strongest coaching relationship. As the Tigers search for their third — and potentially fourth — wide receiver in the 2018 class, their push for Schwartz will rev up now that Florida looks as vulnerable as ever for a prospect who once seemed guaranteed to land in Gainesville.

4-star RB Dameon Pierce, Bainbridge, Ga. (UF commit)
When Dameon Pierce committed to Florida, it came as a bit of a surprise. He’d always stated he’d likely wait until the end of his senior season to focus on his recruitment going forward. Once he wrapped that up, he’d tackle recruiting head on. Then, he decided to commit to Florida on a whim this summer.

Pierce hasn’t said or done anything to indicate his intention to look elsewhere. The retention of running backs coach Ju’Juan Seider will have an effect on that.

Regardless, it’ll be a dangerous game for Auburn to play if Pierce were to open things back up. There’s no doubt the Tigers would be at or near the top of Pierce’s preferences if that were to happen. In the summer, I had multiple sources tell me they felt Pierce was the best running back Auburn was recruiting, but they also didn’t expect his commitment to come when it did.

Since then, Asa Martin has committed. He’s become one of the most vocal recruiters in the class, and he’s also having one of the best senior seasons of any running back in the entire country. Pushing for Pierce could cause some issues with Martin that may be better left alone.

Martin continues to visit elsewhere. He’s already been in Tuscaloosa for a game. He’ll likely take official visits to Alabama and Clemson. So it wouldn’t be surprising to see Auburn stay in contact with Pierce as a security blanket, but it’d be shocking to see both guys end up in Auburn’s class.

3-star OLB David Reese, Vero Beach, Fla. (UF commit)
David Reese isn’t a name that has been mentioned in this space often. To my knowledge, he doesn’t hold an Auburn offer, and he hasn’t publicly indicated his displeasure with the McElwain departure yet. But there’s a key reason Reese is a part of this conversation, and it goes back to Jibunor.

Jibunor has a few guys in the recruiting process that he considers close friends. Reese might very well be atop the list. In fact, Jibunor’s primary reason for taking his only Florida visit was at the request of Reese, who told him he’d love Gainesville. Reese was right.

Likewise, Jibunor told Reese he’d like Auburn, but Reese has yet to make that visit to the Plains, and there’s no telling he ever will. But if there ever were an opening, it’s now.

Auburn remains in search for at least one more linebacker in the class. Quay Walker tops the wish list, but flipping prospects from Alabama isn’t an easy task, nor a common occurrence. Auburn will be in search of alternative plans, which will include testing the waters with guys like Channing Tindall and others, but also passing out offers to uncommitted prospects such as La’Dedric Jackson or trying to dip into the committed pool of other programs.

Reese would be an interesting place to start, but that would require a lot of communication in a short order when there hasn’t been much up to this point. Travis Williams will be a busy man these next few months.

4-star OL William Barnes, Apopka, Fla. and 4-star OL Richard Gouraige, Tampa, Fla.
I’m pairing William Barnes and Richard Gouraige into one subhead because their Auburn-related recruitments serve a similar purpose. Barnes and Gouraige have both visited Auburn in the past, but they both planned to come back throughout the summer/fall, which never happened. Auburn’s first goal would be to get one or both back on campus as the Tigers try to finalized the offensive line group for the 2018 class.

For starters, these are both long shots.

Gouraige committed to Florida on Oct. 20, so this news came at an unfortunate time for him. If he were to step off his Gators pledge, Clemson would be the favorite. But Auburn would work to get the big offensive tackle back on campus. There was a time in the summer when Gouraige visited and made Auburn one of his top three. He planned a return, but never made the trip.

Barnes hasn’t committed yet, and while he hasn’t done much to publicly narrow his choices, Florida and North Carolina have always been the two schools most closely linked to Barnes. That won’t necessarily change with the coaching change, but when other coaching staffs smell blood, they attack.

Auburn has a need on the offensive line. Gouraige and Barnes will be at or near the top of that wish list. Don’t be surprised to see both or either end up taking official visits to Auburn down the stretch.

Others prospects of note
  • Auburn commit Jamien Sherwood has been flirting with Florida since committing to Auburn. He’s visited Gainesville at least two times for games. Sherwood always stated the Tigers shouldn’t worry too much about those visits, and this announcement will only enrich that stance. All Auburn needs to do, as it pertains to Sherwood, is keep its own coaching staff in place.
  • Auburn commits Coynis Miller and Asa Martin both chose the Tigers despite showing strong interest in Florida. Both even had experiences strong enough they said they would’ve felt comfortable committing to the Gators at times. This news helps eliminate any potential flip scares for both.
  • Florida commit Divaad Wilson has entertained a few schools, including South Carolina, while being committed to Florida. He retweeted something that indicated he’s still firmly committed to the Gators, but he reported an Auburn offer last week (same day his teammate Rashad Wildgoose claimed one, as well). As Auburn searches for its cornerbacks in the class, Wilson is a name to watch.
  • Florida commit Jacob Copeland once had Auburn high on his list, but communication plummeted. If Copeland were to flip somewhere, and it appears likely it would be to Alabama. In a way, that would help Auburn because Alabama’s wide receiver spots would start to fill up for guys like Seth Williams and Justyn Ross.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Chizik is obviously stuck on the idea that he was unfairly dismissed.

Re: The desirability of the HC job at UF? Push UF's high P5 status & climbing. Push UF's attractive academic standing. I've read the city of Gainesville called negative names. Yet, Gainesville is a high plus = sunny weather & lush-green surroundings vs Ann Arbor ice-slush and leafless trees; icy roads are dangerous. Gville is within short driving distance to a maximum # of recreation spots = golf courses, clear-pure springs, waterparks, etc.etc.

Big unique plus = Gainesville is the only P5 home where in 1.5 hours' drive, the family can reach 2 oceans, the Gulf and the Atlantic = deep sea fishing, surfing, fresh seafood eats +++ etc. Tourist sights abound ... St. Augustine, Disney, Sea World, 6-Flags, Alligator & Rattlesnake-snake farms (educational too). Stricklin should go all out with his pitch - even to the point of changing his name to Strickland to ease the transition..

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Guy on TOS is saying we're getting a commitment this week....says he can't explain why, but said it's coming this week. Chatfield maybe? (who Miami just offered)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Florida recruiting: 4 programs could pose threats to the Gators’ 2018 class

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-class-threats

Biggest threats to Florida’s class
It’s open season on Florida’s commits and several schools are pursuing members of the Gators’ 2018 recruiting class, which is ranked No. 7 nationally in the 247Sports Composite.

UF hasn’t suffered any defections yet, but there will be cause for concern until a new head coach is in place.

Here are the four schools who pose the biggest threat to Florida’s class.

Alabama
The Crimson Tide could be the program that benefits most from the coaching change at UF.

Top-50 overall recruit and Under Armour All-American WR Jacob Copeland committed to Florida over Alabama on Aug. 3, but Nick Saban & Co. have continued to come after Copeland.

He has visited the Tide twice this fall and is expected to return for an official visit. According to Alabama recruiting reporter Chris Kirschner, confidence is high in Tuscaloosa.

“Even before McElwain was fired, sources in Tuscaloosa were confident that Alabama could flip Copeland from Florida. Now that it has happened, I had one source tell me that it will happen. It’s just a matter of when Copeland wants to announce his decision.”

If Copeland does change his mind, it probably won’t happen until after the season. I’m told he wants to evaluate all of his options, take official visits and see who Florida hires first.

Kirschner also reported that the Tide may circle back and try to flip Gators RB commit Dameon Pierce — a former Alabama pledge. Saban and his staff will evaluate 4-star TE Kyle Pitts and 3-star DL Taylor Upshaw as well.

LSU
The Tigers are already chasing top-100 WR Ja’Marr Chase from Metairie, La., and may potentially test the waters with a couple more Florida commits.

Chase made a surprising pledge to the Gators in July, choosing them just weeks removed from his postponed decision between LSU and TCU.

He was set to commit to the Horned Frogs at The Opening, and right now they may be the biggest threat to the Gators. However, the Tigers can’t be counted out with their in-state appeal and success this season.

LSU will also make a run at Florida commits Matt Corral and Richard Gouraige if they choose to reopen their recruitments.

Miami
The Gators have five South Florida prospects in their 2018 class, including former Miami safety commit Randy Russell. He is unlikely to leave the class, but wide receivers Corey Gammage and Tyquan Thornton will be worth monitoring.

Gammage caused a stir Sunday when he announced his de-commitment from Florida, then deleted the tweet minutes later. He still hasn’t clarified his commitment status, but Miami will be on his short list if he backs off his pledge.

Thornton was planning to sign with the Gators in December despite being a summer enrollee, but may now wait until National Signing Day. The Hurricanes would be the heavy favorite to land Thornton if he de-commits.

Michigan
Jim Harbaugh doesn’t have any WR commits in this cycle and has already zeroed in on Chase.

The Under Armour All-American received an offer from Michigan on Monday and plans to officially visit Ann Arbor. Harbaugh has already offered Copeland.

Gators LB commit David Reese also holds an offer and visited Michigan in June. The Wolverines will be one his backup options if things don’t work out with Florida.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Guy on TOS is saying we're getting a commitment this week....says he can't explain why, but said it's coming this week. Chatfield maybe? (who Miami just offered)

If I were an elite recruit I'd commit to UF just to join Corral and gang.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Remember when errbody said that the kids loved Butters so much they'd immediately jump ship the second he was fired? Yeah, those were good times.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Since our class is highly ranked because of Offense recruits and all UF's HC prospects bring much, much better Offences than McLame, our class should hold.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If we hire a frost or a fuente our class will be even better than it would have been with maceltard. book it.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Chizik is obviously stuck on the idea that he was unfairly dismissed.

Re: The desirability of the HC job at UF? Push UF's high P5 status & climbing. Push UF's attractive academic standing. I've read the city of Gainesville called negative names. Yet, Gainesville is a high plus = sunny weather & lush-green surroundings vs Ann Arbor ice-slush and leafless trees; icy roads are dangerous. Gville is within short driving distance to a maximum # of recreation spots = golf courses, clear-pure springs, waterparks, etc.etc.

Big unique plus = Gainesville is the only P5 home where in 1.5 hours' drive, the family can reach 2 oceans, the Gulf and the Atlantic = deep sea fishing, surfing, fresh seafood eats +++ etc. Tourist sights abound ... St. Augustine, Disney, Sea World, 6-Flags, Alligator & Rattlesnake-snake farms (educational too). Stricklin should go all out with his pitch - even to the point of changing his name to Strickland to ease the transition..
PR departments of both UF and Gainesville need you.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If we hire a frost or a fuente our class will be even better than it would have been with maceltard. book it.
How can that not be obvious?

We d be much worse if these kids were looking at years of Mr. 116th in their future.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe they new before we did that he was getting fired and that's why they committed.
I doubt it. I predict Ofer October and a nuclear hotseat, and Im about as pessimistic as they come, or so Ive heard. However, I never REALLY thought theyd fire him this year.

They EXPECTED a better offense and we are going to give it to them.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I doubt it. I predict Ofer October and a nuclear hotseat, and Im about as pessimistic as they come, or so Ive heard. However, I never REALLY thought theyd fire him this year.

They EXPECTED a better offense and we are going to give it to them.
I was joking about the recruits. I don't think we go Ofer and I think we might actually win out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator