The next wave I expect to pop

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My bigger point has always been that we are going to lose a few. It is to be expected....for all kinds of reasons....stay closer to home, legacy, relationship with a coach, friends, etc. But same goes for all programs. We are going to lose a few and we are going to flip a few. I've said this repeatedly. But I do believe there could be a few who see the handwriting on the wall and head for the hills.

That said....with the classes we are building in 18 and 19 we are not going to sweat the ones that leave.
I think we are going to lose a couple due to better players jumping on the train

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's get the next round popping

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
OL Ed Montilus raves about coaching style of Florida assistant Brad Davis
By Zach Abolverdi SEC Country Staff
August 10, 2017
As Jim McElwain tries to rebuild Florida football into a championship program, one of his mottos is “recruit daily or die.” Join us here on SEC Country for a daily recap of the latest Florida recruiting news, tales from the trail and perspective on what it all means for the Gators.

Ed Montilus talks Gators
William Barnes is not the only offensive lineman Florida wants from Apopka High School for the Class of 2018.

While checking out Barnes during the spring evaluation period, new Gators offensive line coach Brad Davis took notice of another Blue Darter — Ed Montilus.

The 3-star offensive guard received an offer from Davis in April, adding Florida to a list that includes Auburn, Miami, North Carolina and Tennessee.

Montilus didn’t have much interest in the Gators prior to the spring, but Davis has changed that.

“He helped Florida a lot because he actually recruits me,” Montilus told SEC Country. “He comes to my high school and checks on my school work. He doesn’t just stop by. He comes to my practice and watches me. He doesn’t just hang out.

“He talks to me consistently and we actually have conversations. He doesn’t just send me pictures. So he’s a guy that I can relate to and he really tries to get to know me. I can definitely see myself coming to Florida because of him.”

Montilus visited UF twice this summer with Barnes, with the Apopka teammates telling SEC Country in June that they plan on attending the same college. Florida and North Carolina are the co-leaders for Barnes as well as Montilus, who is also considering the in-state Hurricanes and Auburn.

The 6-foot-2, 288-pound Montilus last visited UF for Friday Night Lights and competed in the camp so he could work with Davis.

What made me come back up was to really see how he coaches. It went pretty good. Actually, it was better than I expected,” said Montilus, who plans to decide on National Signing Day. “I can really learn from him if I come to Florida. I just like that he’ll get after you. He’s going to make you re-do things you do bad on. He’s going to make you better.

“He’s a great coach. He was teaching me techniques I didn’t know. You’re supposed to keep your butt down when you’re trying to lift your opponent. He showed me the proper way to kick. I was really trying to understand what he was telling me. We went over some film, too. It was a great experience.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/ed-montilus-brad-davis-florida/amp

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OL Ed Montilus raves about coaching style of Florida assistant Brad Davis
By Zach Abolverdi SEC Country Staff
August 10, 2017
As Jim McElwain tries to rebuild Florida football into a championship program, one of his mottos is “recruit daily or die.” Join us here on SEC Country for a daily recap of the latest Florida recruiting news, tales from the trail and perspective on what it all means for the Gators.

Ed Montilus talks Gators
William Barnes is not the only offensive lineman Florida wants from Apopka High School for the Class of 2018.

While checking out Barnes during the spring evaluation period, new Gators offensive line coach Brad Davis took notice of another Blue Darter — Ed Montilus.

The 3-star offensive guard received an offer from Davis in April, adding Florida to a list that includes Auburn, Miami, North Carolina and Tennessee.

Montilus didn’t have much interest in the Gators prior to the spring, but Davis has changed that.

“He helped Florida a lot because he actually recruits me,” Montilus told SEC Country. “He comes to my high school and checks on my school work. He doesn’t just stop by. He comes to my practice and watches me. He doesn’t just hang out.

“He talks to me consistently and we actually have conversations. He doesn’t just send me pictures. So he’s a guy that I can relate to and he really tries to get to know me. I can definitely see myself coming to Florida because of him.”

Montilus visited UF twice this summer with Barnes, with the Apopka teammates telling SEC Country in June that they plan on attending the same college. Florida and North Carolina are the co-leaders for Barnes as well as Montilus, who is also considering the in-state Hurricanes and Auburn.

The 6-foot-2, 288-pound Montilus last visited UF for Friday Night Lights and competed in the camp so he could work with Davis.

What made me come back up was to really see how he coaches. It went pretty good. Actually, it was better than I expected,” said Montilus, who plans to decide on National Signing Day. “I can really learn from him if I come to Florida. I just like that he’ll get after you. He’s going to make you re-do things you do bad on. He’s going to make you better.

“He’s a great coach. He was teaching me techniques I didn’t know. You’re supposed to keep your butt down when you’re trying to lift your opponent. He showed me the proper way to kick. I was really trying to understand what he was telling me. We went over some film, too. It was a great experience.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/ed-montilus-brad-davis-florida/amp

This class is going to be sick.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Apparently this guy is very popular with other players and could be key to landing some more stars...i'll take that any day
If he's really 5'10, he's probably a take. Potential starter if you aren't playing a team with giant receivers, and likely a good return guy.

And yeah, popular dude from everything I've seen

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
What's with all the optimism? Nobody has signed an LOI yet. Cease and desist all positive commentary.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Was kind of hoping a couple would pop to get the momentum going again after the bad press

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Was kind of hoping a couple would pop to get the momentum going again after the bad press
That would be nice but it will probably be right before the season starts or about midway through before they jump on board. Chatfield could pull the trigger at any moment but i think Gouraige will be later on.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-mock-class-offense-1

Offensive line, defensive line and cornerback are the remaining needs for UF. How will Florida fill out the rest of its 2018 class on the offensive side of the ball? Here are SEC Country’s latest projections:

* — indicates current commitment

QB: Matt Corral*
Analysis: The Gators needed an elite signal caller in this class and they got that with Corral, who committed to Florida over Georgia last month after attending Friday Night Lights. If the Bulldogs don’t land 5-star quarterback Justin Fields, they might make another run at Corral. However, the Army All-American has shut down his recruitment and plans to enroll early at UF.

Confidence level: 99 percent

RB: Iverson Clement, Dameon Pierce
Analysis: With the possibility of junior starter Jordan Scarlett turning pro after 2017 and Mark Thompson now a senior, running backs coach Ja’Juan Seider wanted to replace those numbers in recruiting and will do so with signing of Clement and Pierce. Like Corral, both backs are firmly committed to Florida and most schools have backed off of them as a result.

Confidence level: 99 percent

WR: Jacob Copeland*, Ja’Marr Chase*, Corey Gammage*, Anthony Schwartz, Tyquan Thornton*, Jalynn Williams
Analysis: Wide receiver was one of the top needs for the Gators’ in the 2018 cycle and they’ve already done a great job of addressing that need with five pledges at the position. UF is also the favorite for 4-star WR Anthony Schwartz, who is the nation’s fastest recruit. If Schwartz joins the class, it may cause one of the lower-rated commits to look elsewhere.

Confidence level: 80 percent

TE: Kyle Pitts*, Dante Lang*
Analysis: With former Florida commit Zech Byrd not signing in the Class of 2017 because of academics, the Gators had to take tight ends in this cycle and checked that box with Lang and Pitts. The 6-foot-5, 235-pound Pitts is one of the nation’s best prospects at his position. He plans to officially visit Florida, Georgia and Virginia Tech, but seems solid to UF.

Confidence level: 95 percent

OL: William Barnes, Curtis Dunlap, Richard Gouraige, Ed Montilus
Analysis: With the expected attrition that will take place over the next two years, new offensive line Brad Davis needs to sign at least four linemen for 2018. He has one on board in Dunlap, who will be the first UF signee from IMG Academy. The Gators are also considered the team to beat for Barnes, Gouraige and Montilus.

Confidence level: 90 percent

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't expect Corral to be Nostradamus, but you appear desperate to find the negative in everything. Are you president of the lawdonkey fan club?

Like I say: "Nostradamus had extra-century perception."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.