The official GCMB Tailgate Thread- 2018 Season

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Meant in good humor and Altamonte bleeds right into Longwood anyway. We live off Red Bug near Tuskawilla. One big sprawl. Sorry for being a smart azz.
No, I didn't take it that way. No problem.

They were pretty good times (because I was young and occasionally nailing waitresses, assistant managers, barmaids, etc). I was working as a waiter, mostly doing banquets at night and weekends.. I think I made 17K my best year (not counting cash tips so maybe 20K) and you know what, it seemed like a helluva lot of money at the time.

Besides Banquets at night, I would work the lunch shift a few times a week. One of my regular customers was Charles Givens, a pretty famous self help and financial advice author and speaker. Turns out he was a scammer who got sued into bankruptcy and died young, but he had nice run before that, even being featured on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. He always asked for me even though I wasn't a particularly good waiter and always left the same tip, 5 dollars cash which was pretty decent since he ate alone and his bill was only about 10-12 buck.

Anyway, I ramble but fun to dust off some of these distant past memories.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
GUYS. Theres a good chance we might suck still, but the swag is back in the Swamp.

I grew up in Gainesville (I grew up in Altamonte Springs, but I mean, my weekends for 22 years). My dad took me every week growing up (he had season tickets) and wasnt going to miss a game. This guy is pure gator. His closets filled with gator bait magazine, gator cokes from 84, helmets. Hed come home from work and not talk to us for hours til he finished reading the recruiting scoops from Marty Cohen and others.

I went to just about every home game from around 1990-2010 when I abruptly left Florida for New York and sent the football program into a downward spiral. We Haven’t recovered since. (I missed three georgia games growing up. Guess which three?) im superstitious so I told myself I have to start going again. THIS IS ALL MY FAULT

For anyone attending, I think we should set up a tailgate for at least one game this season, and I’m thinking LSU. The GCMB Tailgate. Shirts. Hats. Banners. You name it. Ok maybe none of that hut it’d be nice to meet some of you finally. A lot of you I’ve known since 06 and the closest I’ve come is a podcast with our dear leader, Ox.

If not LSU, lets pick a game. This is the GCMB tailgate thread. Lets get something going. i want us to start winning again and it all starts with me.
I am all in. I am your dad. Or his younger brother. I have a whole large room in my garage FULL of gators stuff.
I have some great memorabilia ............like an SOS bottle of wine (cock years) the SI issue of SOS on cover as a 49er. TONS of all the car tags, cups magazines. title game stuff..........you name it. One day I will convert my garage into a museum for fans to visit on game day and eat BBQ. (in my future plans).
But Im all for this get together. THE OLD Sun forum used to do this at Napalatanos twice a year or other local gville restaurants.............the GSMB PF that is.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Meant in good humor and Altamonte bleeds right into Longwood anyway. We live off Red Bug near Tuskawilla. One big sprawl. Sorry for being a smart azz.
I think i honestly technically lived in longwood. Both towns criss cross within neighborhoods. I had friends across the street live in apopka too. But everything I ever did was in Altamonte

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Best thread of the offseason
:chomp:

The Gator Nation lost a great one this January when my pops passed away. This will be my first season without hi, and my mother who passed in 2011. My father saw over 400 games (300 together), traveling to every SEC stadium in his RV, minus aTm.

I knew I would attend UF from birth, but it was cemented in when dad brought me to Gainesville for my very first Gator football game at 7/8 years old. The heavily favored 1974 Houston Cougars came into Florida Field very highly ranked. We arrived at our seats early, which were in the East stands visitors section. In my excitement, I had sat in the row above ours. A man and his wife dressed in Cougar gear approached me and the guy yelled, “You’re in my seat kid, get out”. Pops grabbed the man by his collar and held him up in the air over the seats below. He said, "You say another word to my son, and your seat will immediately be 10 rows down͟." The Gators ran wild that day to a 49-14 victory and the Cougar couple behind us left by halftime. The man, his wife, my mom and I were all terrified. But it was also the greatest feeling knowing that my dad would do anything to protect me. I watched the second half from the vacated seats behind us with a smile on my face.

Sometimes we get caught up in the success of the team, and it’s always more fun when we’re good. But it’s the bonds we make and the love we share that’s most important about college sports.

This will my first footba season without my parents. Upon their wishes, I look forward to spreading their ashes on Florida Field.

Go Gators!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Best thread of the offseason
:chomp:

The Gator Nation lost a great one this January when my pops passed away. This will be my first season without hi, and my mother who passed in 2011. My father saw over 400 games (300 together), traveling to every SEC stadium in his RV, minus aTm.

I knew I would attend UF from birth, but it was cemented in when dad brought me to Gainesville for my very first Gator football game at 7/8 years old. The heavily favored 1974 Houston Cougars came into Florida Field very highly ranked. We arrived at our seats early, which were in the East stands visitors section. In my excitement, I had sat in the row above ours. A man and his wife dressed in Cougar gear approached me and the guy yelled, “You’re in my seat kid, get out”. Pops grabbed the man by his collar and held him up in the air over the seats below. He said, "You say another word to my son, and your seat will immediately be 10 rows down͟." The Gators ran wild that day to a 49-14 victory and the Cougar couple behind us left by halftime. The man, his wife, my mom and I were all terrified. But it was also the greatest feeling knowing that my dad would do anything to protect me. I watched the second half from the vacated seats behind us with a smile on my face.

Sometimes we get caught up in the success of the team, and it’s always more fun when we’re good. But it’s the bonds we make and the love we share that’s most important about college sports.

This will my first footba season without my parents. Upon their wishes, I look forward to spreading their ashes on Florida Field.

Go Gators!
So sorry to hear of your loss, Phan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.