The real reason: The Defensive Line

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
I don’t post much anymore due to a busy as hell schedule, and I’m old and tired. The board is all Napier this and AR that, ST’s are abysmal etc. All points are definitely up for discussion. But they aren’t the real reason we are where we are.
It’s not clock management, because if you are relying on that you’ve more than likely already lost. Not playcalling, because the points and the yardage are ultimately there, although there are some situations where it could have been better. That’s with any team. The problem is not on the offense at all.
It’s not the defensive scheme, but you are getting warmer. Not the corners, they are plenty good enough. Not Trey Dean although he is not good enough to play that position. None of that.
It’s the defensive front 7. They simply aren’t talented enough to matter. None of them are good enough to dominate in this league. Not individually and not as a unit.
Somebody name a time this season when Dexter took over and don’t give me the bullshyt about him being doubled, because elite DT’s handle that and still dominate. Des is a non issue outside of 1 play against SC. How many snaps did he take? Princely? More like Princess. His disgraceful play made a Corndog true freshman OT into the SEC OL of the week. Miller could be game planned around, but you sure don’t have to plan around Burney. Powell-Ryland and Mclellan may get there but aren’t near there yet. Shemar may as well, who knows?
A strong front 7 allows Napier to be able to trust his team when time management situations arise. The number of those situations will also be reduced. It opens up all kinds of possibilities on the offensive side. The fact is that this defensive front sucked from a talent perspective. All the coaching and scheming in the world won’t fix that. And if you can show me a truly elite team with a weak front 7 I’d love to see it. This one is not even serviceable. Until this is fixed the rest of our issues won’t matter.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The front 7 has been discussed ad nauseum. Not one single informed person on here thinks we have anyone that could start for the upper echelon teams. some think Miller could but even they recognize that he is one notch above what David Reese was. #33 has improved as the season has gone along and #7 could be a good player. Outside of that no one has lauded the front 7. #21 is serviceable but needs to lose weight. But the front 7 is a problem along with all the others you mentioned.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
7, 21 and 52 are a nice little foundation to build upon. Need like 10 more of them.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Great point. If you want to point to one unit that could have changed the outcome of several games its definatley the DL, followed by LB.

A great DL takes pressure off CBs and LBs. We need to get some LBs from the portal... desperately.

@Albert you may need to work on your thread title skills. :lol:

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Harold Perkins alone could’ve been the difference in 2 or 3 wins
LB's like that do not come to UF and if they do they don;t get developed. I say that b/c I was told that a LB on the Detroit Lions named James Houston is the same James Houston that played (or was on the roster) at UF and finished his career at Jackson St. If so there was absoultely nothing that showed that Houston could be a waterboy in the NFL when he was at UF. Any confirmation? Thanks

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m sorry but true freshman Shemar is the real deal. Beat up whoever you want but he’s a player.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Stay in your lane, boy.
Baby Middle Finger GIF

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Our front 7 is surely weak as water. Miller is a run stopper but he’s a liability in coverage. I love big Dez but again, he’s only useful in filling two gaps, as he doesn’t have the speed to pressure the QB in passing situations. Shemar has a bright future but he’s still young and needs to add some size. Other than that, what’s left to work with? Not much IMO.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’m sorry but true freshman Shemar is the real deal. Beat up whoever you want but he’s a player.

Granted, I haven’t checked all the threads, but I’m pretty sure you’re the only one that’s been threatening to beat people up.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I don’t post much anymore due to a busy as hell schedule, and I’m old and tired. The board is all Napier this and AR that, ST’s are abysmal etc. All points are definitely up for discussion. But they aren’t the real reason we are where we are.
It’s not clock management, because if you are relying on that you’ve more than likely already lost. Not playcalling, because the points and the yardage are ultimately there, although there are some situations where it could have been better. That’s with any team. The problem is not on the offense at all.
It’s not the defensive scheme, but you are getting warmer. Not the corners, they are plenty good enough. Not Trey Dean although he is not good enough to play that position. None of that.
It’s the defensive front 7. They simply aren’t talented enough to matter. None of them are good enough to dominate in this league. Not individually and not as a unit.
Somebody name a time this season when Dexter took over and don’t give me the bullshyt about him being doubled, because elite DT’s handle that and still dominate. Des is a non issue outside of 1 play against SC. How many snaps did he take? Princely? More like Princess. His disgraceful play made a Corndog true freshman OT into the SEC OL of the week. Miller could be game planned around, but you sure don’t have to plan around Burney. Powell-Ryland and Mclellan may get there but aren’t near there yet. Shemar may as well, who knows?
A strong front 7 allows Napier to be able to trust his team when time management situations arise. The number of those situations will also be reduced. It opens up all kinds of possibilities on the offensive side. The fact is that this defensive front sucked from a talent perspective. All the coaching and scheming in the world won’t fix that. And if you can show me a truly elite team with a weak front 7 I’d love to see it. This one is not even serviceable. Until this is fixed the rest of our issues won’t matter.
Billy is going to have to recruit the hell out of DL's and LB's to run the offense he wants to run. Looks like we got the DB recruiting, at least on paper. But his 1970's style offense will require a very stout D and a very patient fan base...two things we currently don't have.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
If our recruiting holds this will correct itself.
My frustration against FSU was we could not sack the QB so why try?
Seal off the run and contain the outsides.

Last edited:

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
If our recruiting holds this will correct itself.
My frustration against FSU was we could not sack the QB so why try?
Seal off the run and contain the outsides.

5 4-star DL recruits committed for 2023. Plus 11 R-Fr, Fr or So. If these 16 guys develop, we should be better on DL. for 2023. If we only lose 1 DL (Norwood) this year, our containment should improve with the experience.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I came in to set the record straight, but I see a couple of others have already done that. Thanks for taking up my slack folks! Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. That's what we need and that seems to be what we're getting. Billy's struggling with the elite top 50 types, but he's stocking the cupboards with top 75-350 types. That's a pretty solid foundation to build upon. When you started this thread, did you even once consider the amount of talent we have committed at DL this year?:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator