The Secondary

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The Gators entered Saturday ranked 91st in passing downs success rate allowed and 96th on 3rd-and-long

It's not known as 3rd and Joe Lee Dunn Jr. for nothing.

Florida has very good coaches on defense, and you won’t find many secondary coaches more well respected than Torrian Gray (corners) and Ron English (safeties).

I could not read anymore after that sentence.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes coaching isn't at fault when your players consistently take the wrong angles or are manhandled by recievers. It becomes a coaching issue when those players are allowed to keep their #1 status

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Sometimes coaching isn't at fault when your players consistently take the wrong angles or are manhandled by recievers. It becomes a coaching issue when those players are allowed to keep their #1 status

Our players dont look like they are taught to tackle.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It’s hard to imagine an SEC defensive staff 1) having so much trouble getting the secondary lined up properly (e.g. inside vs. outside leverage) as often as it looks to occur, 2) struggling with substitutions against an up-tempo offense that they surely prepared for, 3) having so many players taking shallow angles to the football, 4) safeties excessively deep on their drops, and 5) extremely inconsistent to poor tackling technique.
Something is not connecting somewhere, obviously.

I would agree with the article’s author that our pass rush hasn’t exactly been stellar, but it has gotten some better (UGA game for instance), but backed up some Saturday. Our LBs have struggled in their cover assignments and this can have some effect, but doesn’t account for so many busted assignments and dreadful techniques. I know we’ve had recruiting concerns, but some of the guys making constant mistakes have been around 2-3 years now. A few were highly regarded coming out of high school. They’ve had pretty much the same staff working with them as collegians. What does that point toward?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Vandy's QB threw several pinpoint passes, unlike other QBs we've faced. A couple of times those WRs were adequately covered; Gators just let them pull off the good catch. Maybe from here out our DBs will block completions and make interceptions. They've gotta start sometimes, don't they?
Looked to me like they were more times in good position, -- maybe they are getting better? Should be seen in next game.

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
The worst thing I saw in the game was us playing some kind of BS hurry up defense. Our players were tired and confused from having to sub in every single play. I think fathead todd is just trying to get too cute instead of playing a more central game plan.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Looked to me like they were more times in good position, -- maybe they are getting better? Should be seen in next game.

:swampqueen: :stars::raisehand:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.