This Could Be The Last College Football Championship Game With Unpaid Players

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The O'Bannon case already says compensation must be tethered to academics. It sounds like the Judge was thinking about tossing the case on a motion by the NCAA but didn't so if there is any change it probably won't be much unless this is one of those rogue Judges.

Does anyone know if any school actually pays an athlete that 5,000 yearly trust fund money the O'Bannon case allows over the cost of attendance? I didn't even know that was part of that ruling until looking at it now. I haven't heard of any school doing that I can think of.

Last edited:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The NCAA could alleviate some of this by getting rid of some of the stupid rules. For example, the UCF player that was forced to choose between his profitable Youtube channel and playing football. Or, setting up something through the university so a player(s) like Harvin or Tebow can make money off of their likeness. I say though the university so it can be regulated and agents are kept out of it. Even then, it could be opening a can of worms. Just a thought.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
There is probably a long list of unintended consequences that nobody is thinking about. If they lose their amateur status then what? Can they get agents in high school and while at a university? I am sure there things not on our radars right now that will come into play down the road. It's a bad idea.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I totally understand. TITLE IX though would come into play. Maybe they can get around it?
Yeah, by eliminating the ridiculousness that is Title IX. I realize that's just my opinion; but I think it is a terrible law and I've got two daughters who are student athletes.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Four years of tuition, housing, meal plan, athletic training, etc. is valued over $100,000 for most universities. Millions of people pay tens of thousands of dollars or more to receive the benefits of a college degree. For instance the average college graduate makes a million dollars more over the span of a lifetime than a non-college graduate. College grads have more job opportunities, retire earlier, and on average are healthier than non-college grads.

There is no doubt that pay pay for play will ruin college athletics and place a financial burden on most universities like others have said, but these guys aren't slaves and aren't getting nothing while everyone else gets millions. There are tons of benefits for student athletes that will last a lifetime. I certainly don't have sympathy for any of these student athletes, especially when I'm paying my student loan payment every month.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
There is a simple solution. If you want to be paid, you have to pay for all the benefits that you get.

Free food, generally others with scollys don't get that.
Professional coaching and development in your sport, that would offset most of your pay.
Free medical care.
Free clothing.

In short after paying for everything the would owe money.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Four years of tuition, housing, meal plan, athletic training, etc. is valued over $100,000 for most universities. Millions of people pay tens of thousands of dollars or more to receive the benefits of a college degree. For instance the average college graduate makes a million dollars more over the span of a lifetime than a non-college graduate. College grads have more job opportunities, retire earlier, and on average are healthier than non-college grads.
I think their benefits and corresponding monetary values need to be more spelled out when they are offered scholarships, so people can actually see what they are getting, and it's far more than a free education. It's a six-figure package.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I think their benefits and corresponding monetary values need to be more spelled out when they are offered scholarships, so people can actually see what they are getting, and it's far more than a free education. It's a six-figure package.
Most football players receive far more income through scholarships than they would through straight pay in the open market. What is the 2nd string safety at Troy really going to earn? Far less than the free ride and education he will receive.

Only the very elite players in the revenue sports are harmed by the current structure. They are maybe .2% of all NCAA athletes, and they will get their pay day eventually.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The NCAA could alleviate some of this by getting rid of some of the stupid rules. For example, the UCF player that was forced to choose between his profitable Youtube channel and playing football. Or, setting up something through the university so a player(s) like Harvin or Tebow can make money off of their likeness. I say though the university so it can be regulated and agents are kept out of it. Even then, it could be opening a can of worms. Just a thought.

I think that would open up the floodgates for players to be bought behind the scenes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are also mixing up legal issues.

NCAA is far more vulnerable to antitrust issues.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Most football players receive far more income through scholarships than they would through straight pay in the open market. What is the 2nd string safety at Troy really going to earn? Far less than the free ride and education he will receive.

Only the very elite players in the revenue sports are harmed by the current structure. They are maybe .2% of all NCAA athletes, and they will get their pay day eventually.
Exactly, but since the people making the arguments dont really value education, and perhaps there is some debate about the value of an "independent study" degree with a minor in multicultural victim sociology.

Last edited:

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
There is probably a long list of unintended consequences that nobody is thinking about. If they lose their amateur status then what? Can they get agents in high school and while at a university? I am sure there things not on our radars right now that will come into play down the road. It's a bad idea.
No, not probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator