Thoughts on the state of college football

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
So, i'm sitting here watching the FSU vs. Michigan game and have some thoughts on college football in general.
First thought/question: Is Saban really that good or is it his infantry of (allegedly elite) assistants/support staff that make him great? My point being, is Saban simply that superior to all the other coaches in his x's and o's philosophy or does he simply have one of the most competitive advantages every single year by having a zillion assistants/ support staff who probably get paid raises for finding loopholes/ grey areas in the rule book for saban to utilize. From consistently signing large classes and having what it seems like more true scholarship players to work with and build depth compared to Florida every year, to bringing in ex players ala trent richardson to mimic fournette, to always ending up with the best 5-star recruits out of other major programs back yard, to having what seems like unlimited resources i.e. water falls in locker rooms is it possible that it is these competitive advantages that make saban uber successful?

2) with so much money on the line for these sure fire first rounders going into their last year before they enter the draft, what gives any of us confidence ( pertaining to any fans of any program) that these players won't half ass it/ sleep walk through their final seasons so they don't blow their draft stalk. For example, Fournette this year did not do that great in fact his backup was better. I know he battled what i guess were some injuries and today it came out that peppers for michigan missed the bowl game due to a hamstring injury, but knowing that these guys are going early and have huge deals awaiting them doesn't it make anyone a little suspicious about the true extent to these "injuries" and makes you wonder if it's them just saving themselves for the draft.My bigger point being, how can we rely on our best players to show up in their final season if they might be covertly half assing it/not giving it their all in order to save themselves for draft.

my two cents

Last edited:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are living in Bama's and Saban's universe that is for sure

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
It's all about the recruiting, their depth is disgusting, the coaches change, but any respectable coach can direct that talent, and the results speak for themselves.
Hell it made butters look good

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[GIPHY="too long didn't read"]https://media2.giphy.com/media/jChlcC99Vqu2I/giphy.gif[/GIPHY]

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
It sucks. Anything else?
i guess i could also rant about how i think football both college and pro is being ruined by making it very hard to watch with the excessive penalties/breaks in play/ not allowing players to actually play the game of football meaning if you hit somebody hard anymore or ring their bells you get penalized and the other team gets 15 yards for you making a good play and how db's can hardly touch / play hard nose football on receivers anymore.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
The state of college football? ... Alabama.
in a way they sum up college football. they've dominated it since saban's arrived. as a result one could argue they do determine/influence the state of college football greatly

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
1) College football is king in Alabama. Church or something else is second. Football is first.
2) Alabama has a great legacy of winning going back to coaches Wallace Wade and the Rose Bowl, Frank Thomas, and of course Bear Bryant.
3) Everybody at Alabama from the University President down to the maintenance crew is committed to being national champion.
4) Saban is tireless, relentless, and has built a complete football program with the best facilities, assistants, and support personnel.
5) Alabama is willing to spend whatever it takes to be national champion.
5) Saban's personality and style of football is congruent with what Alabama fans want. The coach and the fans are on the same page.
6) Winners attract recruits who are winners. Winning football breeds winning football.
7) Saban and Alabama are the perfect match. You can't have one without the other.

Last edited:

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The whole cheating thing is excuses, just like everything else they do that better too, we just weren't and aren't as good at another thing as Alabama, but don't think every school isn't trying.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alabama's sole priority is football, and they are willing to throw an unlimited budget of white, gray, and black money at it. And they have an unlimited budget of gray and black money.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
College football needs to return to its roots and the NFL can institute a minor league program

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We had an AD who purposefully chose not to compete and bragged about it. He chose not to compete in facilities, he chose not to compete with a competent staff and support staff, and he chose to under recruit (small classes and 4 year guarantees) and forced us to have a depleted roster as the new norm.

We have no one to blame for this but our choices to not fire him.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bama does seem to have all the advantages especially with Recruiting. Urban and OSU seem to be the only team in their league in recruiting right now on a yearly basis. I may be underrating Saban's game day coaching but I don't think he is a great game day coach - a good one but not a great one like some in the NFL who go against top coaches on a weekly basis. Hopefully his ego will take over again and he tries the NFL once more.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Bama does seem to have all the advantages especially with Recruiting. Urban and OSU seem to be the only team in their league in recruiting right now on a yearly basis. I may be underrating Saban's game day coaching but I don't think he is a great game day coach - a good one but not a great one like some in the NFL who go against top coaches on a weekly basis. Hopefully his ego will take over again and he tries the NFL once more.
Does he have the look?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

You know what, I might even agree with that statement a bit, even as I consider Saban the greatest college football coach ever. But for fun, let's say he is not the greatest game day coach or game manager, etc. The difference is this. He is CLEARLY, the greatest college football coach Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. That is what shows up on gameday!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You know what, I might even agree with that statement a bit, even as I consider Saban the greatest college football coach ever. But for fun, let's say he is not the greatest game day coach or game manager, etc. The difference is this. He is CLEARLY, the greatest college football coach Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. That is what shows up on gameday!

Yep and recruiting is probably the biggest thing of all and he clearly is the best there. I just hope his ego comes into play when he is offered the insane money to go to the NFL again just to get him out of the SEC. I think he will just be average again in the NFL but you never know I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator