Gator Basketball Todd Golden new Florida Men's Basketball Coach; hires Taurean Green

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Alright man!! We are going to almost beat some teams! Wait? Isn't that what we already had?

I get it and do not blame you one bit. But, we did have to beat out other legit schools to get him. I’m optimistic. Your criticism is valid though.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Does he have any experience on the real world side of the Mississippi River?

Does he know where Florida is located on a map?

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Based on what? I'm guessing he has zero regional contacts and will likely be in the lower third of the league in recruiting. This is a hire that says we aren't serious about competing for the top of the league and final fours anytime soon.

3 years at Auburn with Pearl and was a good recruiter there. Just because he isnt a current top coach doesn't mean it will be bad or cheap. Its taking a shot at the next great coach cause right now there aren't a lot of top coaches available

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Attention to detail, should be a good recruiter, learned as an assistant with Pearl. Uses analytics, finds the optimal lineup, good offensive mind, young, took one of the smallest schools to the NCAA and almost beat a 7 seed. Will being tons of energy back to the team for sure
Had 1 freshman in his most recent class, unranked by all services, and you actually said he should be a good recruiter LMFAO. Meanwhile MW had a 5 star and top 15 class lined up FFS. We dumped Whitey for a guy who is likely one of the worst recruiters by ranking in the country?

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Had 1 freshman in his most recent class, unranked by all services, and you actually said he should be a good recruiter LMFAO. Meanwhile MW had a 5 star and top 15 class lined up FFS. We dumped Whitey for a guy who is likely one of the worst recruiters by ranking in the country?
Tony Bennett's last class wasn't ranked lol

Golden was at San Francisco and got an at large bid...White did what again?

Recruiting will be fine

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
We gonna win them all!

:chomp:

He’s from San Fran: His politics will align w/ the wokeness in G’ville

Golden, an American-Israeli, played at St. Mary’s where he helped lead the Gaels to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances. He was St. Mary’s all-time leader in free-throw shooting (.832) at the time of his graduation, and as a senior, he was second nationally in assist-to-turnover ratio. After college, Golden played three seasons with Maccabi Haifa in Israel before returning to the United States and getting into coaching two years later.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@CBB_Central: Todd Golden is young, confident and checks all the boxes ADs are looking for. Built a program at a difficult place to do it. Analytically savvy. Has recruited everywhere.

Is it a gamble at a plum job like Florida? Yes. But he has the chance to be one of the game’s biggest stars.

Ninjax

Nov 21, 2017
I'll put my faith in the hiring process. I assume some due diligence was done. We'll see what pans out...I'll make judgement 3 years from today.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Efawcett7: I’ll tell you this Gators fans. Todd Golden’s use of lineup data, 2-foul first half participation, 2-for-1s, intentional fouls in the 1-and-1, shot selection, fouling up 3, fouling up TWO, and other analytical concepts is going to be very different than what you’re used to seeing

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
S
Tony Bennett's last class wasn't ranked lol

Golden was at San Francisco and got an at large bid...White did what again?

Recruiting will be fine
Show me a single recruiting battle he has won, just one and I'll see some hope. Not some BS about when he was an assistant. Seriously, he has to be one of the, if not the worst recruiters in the country on paper. You saying he should be a good recruiter is a joke going against Calipari, Pearl, Barnes, Williams, Musselman, Oats, hell, even White will kick the $hit out of this guy on the recruiting trail. Zero chance he can compete recruiting. We are going to be filled with Eastern European transfer players unless somehow he completely changes as a bottom level recruiter.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
I'm underwhelmed but I also would have been underwhelmed by just about every other name I heard a couple of days ago. It's a crapshoot out there.

Can we just go ahead and make a list of the members who think it this was a bad hire now, and then just wait and see what the guy actually does before shtting on him non-stop? In a few years we can check back and do an "I told you so" thread where we can let it all out.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I'm underwhelmed but I also would have been underwhelmed by just about every other name I heard a couple of days ago. It's a crapshoot out there.

Can we just go ahead and make a list of the members who think it this was a bad hire now, and then just wait and see what the guy actually does before shtting on him non-stop? In a few years we can check back and do an "I told you so" thread where we can let it all out.
Maybe he will turn out to be a good coach. Hell, maybe he's some kind of genius who figured out how to apply quantum mechanics to college BB and we'll change the name of the student section to the Quarks. But to say he should be a good recruiter when I seriously think he has never recruited a single ranked player is a joke. Am I missing something? I went back through 2019 on Rivals and San Francisco has a ranking of 0.0, not a single Rivals ranked player his entire coaching stint.

2019 Team Rankings
2020 Team Rankings
2021 Team Rankings
2022 Team Rankings

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members