Toledo's Jason Candle

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This guy is a rising star w/ a solid offensive background (an OC in his 20's). Coached w/ Matt Campbell (now at Iowa State....just knocked off Oklahoma last weekend). Only been a head coach for 2 years though...but only 37 years old:

Toledo’s Jason Candle thrives on competition and learns from it, too

https://theathletic.com/122951/2017/10/10/toledo-football-coach-jason-candle/?source=email

OLEDO, Ohio — Toledo coach Jason Candle credits Larry Kehres for much of what he has accomplished in the last two decades, especially during the last season and a half of Candle’s first tenure as a head coach.

For giving him a chance to play football at Mount Union during his junior and senior seasons.

For getting him into the coaching industry and teaching him how to build and coach a team.

For making Thursday night “family nights” at Mount Union so he learned what balance, in the most fluid sense, could look like for a coach and his family during college football season. Now, especially now, after the birth of his daughter Avery in May, he has tried to find balance.

“Jason is a very proud Raider,” Candle’s wife Nicole said. “A very proud Raider.”

His players bet on how long it will take Candle, 37, to bring up Kehres or Mount Union in conversation with a stranger.

The line is normally at five minutes. The players pick the under, and they normally win.

But it surprises no one. At Mount Union — first as a student coach, then as a wide receivers coach and offensive coordinator — Candle went 97-4 while winning four national titles in seven seasons.

But the one thing Candle didn’t learn from Kehres ended up being one of the things that would have been most helpful for when he left Mount Union: How to lose.

“I can’t say that I did a great job of preparing them for that,” Kehres said.

===

There’s a pair of cleats that Candle keeps in his office for the times when he needs them at practice.

Like when he needs to run sprints against the players or line up as a defensive back or quarterback. Or when he needs to jump in an Oklahoma drill (they call it “Round Up” at Toledo). It’s a standard drill with an offensive and defensive player of about the same size going one-on-one. Candle normally takes on another coach or, occasionally, a player.

A few weeks ago, he jumped in to face off against kicker Samuel Vucelich.

“He took someone’s helmet and just got in,” wide receiver Cody Thompson said.

(Candle ended up losing that one, but ask Thompson, the staff or Candle and they’ll say it’s because it was one of the instances in which Candle wasn’t wearing his cleats.)

“I think the personality of your football team is going to take on the personality that you have as the head football coach,” Candle said. “At the end of the day their eyes don’t lie to them. They see who you are every day. They see how you act. They see more than they hear.”

And what Candle’s players see is a coach who’s not scared to step on the line against players half his age or go toe-to-toe with any skill position player on the team.

Ask Candle about Thompson’s claims that he’s the most athletic person on the team?

“That’s a lie,” Candle will say.

And about Thompson’s assertion that Candle has the best arm on the team, bar none?

“Well, that’s true,” he’ll say with a smile, making it difficult to tell whether he’s being sarcastic or not. “That is true.”

The stories of Candle’s competitive edge on the golf course, softball diamond and basketball court get passed around from player to player, school to school.

“On my recruiting visit to Mount Union, we played basketball and we were full go, pushing, shoving, trying to embarrass all recruits that were playing,” former Mount Union wide receiver Cecil Shorts III said. “It was like, ‘Dang, this coach is going hard.’ ”

Shorts, now a six-year NFL veteran, said the still-evident competitive fire is what made — and makes — Candle so relatable for so many college football prospects. It’s why Shorts was interested in the Division III powerhouse Mount Union, and it has certainly helped Candle recruit to Toledo as well.

But it’s also what has made the losses at Toledo — five as a head coach, 31 as an assistant — that much harder to stomach.

===

For Candle, the decision to leave his football home at Mount Union for Toledo in 2009 was difficult.

Under offensive coordinator Matt Campbell, a fellow Mount Union coach and former teammate, Candle was brought in to coach the wide receivers. A third Mount Union guy, Tom Manning, came in as a graduate assistant.

“I kind of wished I were their age because I knew they were going to have so much fun,” Kehres said.

But when Kehres said “fun,” he meant that they were going to get a chance to build their own culture — built of the Mount Union model — at a school a few hours west. Eventually, they would have fun. But first would come a reality check.

The Rockets, under first-year head coach Tim Beckman, started the 2009 season against Purdue, Colorado and Ohio State. The results felt a bit like whiplash — lose by 21 to Purdue, push around the Buffs in a big win, get shut out 38-0 by the Buckeyes.

At Mount Union, as both a player and coach, most losses Candle suffered came during the Stagg Bowl, the Division III national championship game. And when those losses came, he’d have eight months to lick his wounds, re-watch the game tape, feel frustrated, re-watch the game tape (again and again) and move on.

But when those losses came in Week 2 (or 6, or 8, or all three), he had eight hours max. And when you lose five games in a stretch of seven, those Sunday mornings of rebounding from the last loss, start to build on one another.

“That was an adjustment from what we had known,” Manning said. “That was a difficult thing for all of us because you’re faced with real adversity in your profession for the first time and I think it makes you question the things that you believe in.”

On top of the losses, the natural split — one that plenty of first-year coaching staffs experience — was felt with old regime ways vs. new regime ways.

Every time Beckman made players restart practice or turned a long practice into a two-a-day or did something differently than it had been done before the new staff arrived, the divide in the team would resurface or broaden.

“Candle and (the new staff) came in with an edge that the prior team wasn’t used to,” said former Toledo wide receiver Eric Page, who was a freshman during the 2009 season. “Guys were complaining all the time. … Guys would say, ‘Oh, we didn’t do this ever. Why are we doing this?’ ”

The Rockets finished 5-7 in 2009. The 2010 season brought more buy-in and finally, more payoff. Toledo finished 8-5 with a loss in the Little Caesar’s Pizza Bowl, Toledo’s first postseason game since 2005.

In 2011, after an 8-4 regular season, Beckman left for Illinois and Campbell was named head coach going into the Military Bowl. Candle was promoted to offensive coordinator, and the Rockets came away with a one-point bowl win.

In 2015, it would feel like déjà vu in Toledo as Campbell got swooped up by a Power 5 program (Iowa State) and Candle got promoted to head coach two weeks before the Rockets beat Temple in the Boca Raton Bowl.

Once he landed the job, Candle brought in a staff and began to build the program the way he had seen Kehres do it when he hired assistants of his own. But Candle also introduced his own flavor. He told players that issues within the program would be divided into three categories: hard lines, guidelines and no lines.

Hard line subjects were what players needed to do — follow the law, respect women. The guidelines were what players should do — their homework, showing up to class on time. And the no lines were the little things — whether players wore earrings, what their haircuts looked like, whether or not they decided to shave or have tattoos.

Candle admits, though, that he often teases players about their haircut choices and says that “a lot” of his team has bad ’dos.

But as he’s aged and the job has gotten more hectic, he’s noticed his hair has made decisions of its own without teasing from his players.

“No one is mad that I wear my grey hair,” Candle said. “I guess I should be more reserved with my opinion.”

===

(continues)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
(continued)

Unsurprisingly, for someone as competitive as Candle, the one game he has carried with him more than any other through his career is a loss — the 2007 Stagg Bowl, when he was offensive coordinator for Kehres and Mount Union.

He had his eight months to get over that game and move on to the 2008 season, which he did and did well (Mount Union won the national title that year).

But still, after 10 years, he can’t shake the 2007 season-ender. “I don’t know if I have gotten over it,” Candle said.

His frustration with himself was that he had two wide receivers who would go on to play in the NFL (Shorts and Pierre Garçon), and still, Mount Union only scored 21 points. Had no passing touchdowns. Only went 8-of-17 on third downs.

“I had them on the same team and we didn’t win the national championship,” he said. “Not only are you the offensive coordinator and you lost with those two guys, but you’re the offensive coordinator at your alma mater. For your mentor. Who gave you the opportunity. And you lost.

“You want to talk about a low place? Think about that.”

He did. And he does. And he continues to do so, even as Toledo is 4-1 this season, with its lone loss to then-No. 14 Miami.

But ask Kehres, and he’ll say that low place is a good thing. He’ll say it’s the reason why Candle is 14-5 as a head coach and why he’ll be able to continue that way.

“He carries a lot,” Kehres said. “He feels like he was more responsible than he actually was. But, it’s a motivator. He doesn’t want to feel like that again. … To feel like you can change, that you can do something that won’t let that happen again, that’s a great thing to feel.”

For Candle, it’s the next best thing to winning.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I see we are at least being realistic and doing some window shopping in the factory seconds aisle.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I see we are at least being realistic and doing some window shopping in the factory seconds aisle.

Okay, how has it worked out the last 2 hires? A first time head coach DC and a 3 year head coach w/ 1 losing season under his belt.

I'm simply posting up younger, up-and-coming coaches. This guy will be scooped up by a bigger program within a year or two. It's a crap shoot.

I guess you think we can hire Saban or Dabo. Meanwhile, I'll be realistic.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, how has it worked out the last 2 hires?
The last 2 hires off the reject rack, exactly like that one would.

But I agree. Some shyt from Toledo or La Tech is more likely.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, let us know your plan for luring Saban.....
He's just going to shyt on everything without offering solutions. You haven't heard his record playing before?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I personally think the Toledo guy is an interesting suggestion. I would want to see what his offense actually looks like. If I notice their game on in the next few weeks, I hope I remember to look in.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Urban Meyer was head coach at Bowling Green before going to Utah. Nick Saban was head coach at Toledo before going to Michigan State.

Interesting article. Will keep an eye on this guy. You've got to start somewhere but he isn't ready for prime time yet.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody wants the next Nick Saban or Urban Meyer. The problem is that by the time a guy gets to that level, he ain't coming here. Hello McFly!

There are precisely ZERO established head coaches with high level championship resumes that are going to leave their current gig to come to freaking Gainesville. The only chance of getting somebody in here that can coach at a level to challenge nationally is to get an up-and-comer and that by definition means you are going to have to hire based on potential instead of past results.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Website messing up again. It says, "An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later." Not sure why...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting dude. I'd put him in my 3rd tier with neil brown out of troy.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I know Toledo handed off to Kareem Hunt about a billion times last year....I doubt they have players of his caliber that often. No idea how they are playing without him this season.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Klinger-m-a-s-h-14058240-320-240.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics