Top 10 Quotes from SEC Media Days

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Two from UF in this list. Bielema is pretty comical.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=The-top-10-quotes-from-SEC-Media-Days

SEC Media Days have come and gone, and while there wasn’t much news from the week, there were a fair share of interesting comments, from serious to funny to somewhere in between.

Here were the top 10 quotes from SEC Media Days:

Will Muschamp on if he broke a finger at halftime of an Auburn game last year:

“I'm all right. It's just a finger. … You know, I get frustrated sometimes. As much as anything, I get mad at myself for not doing a better job preparing our players, and you get a little frustrated when the young men don't execute exactly the way we want to, and I wear my emotions sometimes on my sleeves a little bit more than I should. I don't remember the situation. I black out sometimes.”

Les Miles responding to a fast-speaking reporter’s question:

“I didn't get it. Now, it may well be that I didn't listen hard enough. So, if you'd like give me a little bit more space in between your words, it would help me a little bit. OK? I am really listening hard.”

Bret Bielema on losing offensive line coach Sam Pittman:

“Kirby called me and wanted to talk to my offensive coordinator and try to take Dan Enos. I said I appreciated it, but there was a thing called the SEC clause (in new Arkansas contracts), you can’t have him. I kind of stuck my tongue out, wiggled my nose and felt good about it. But on my first staff, I didn’t put an SEC clause on Coach Pittman. … The things Sam was great in, we’ve been trying to continue those forward, but the area we he might have been a little bit weak in, I wanted a great technician, I wanted someone that really talked about pad level, so I wanted an NFL coach. I was able to bring in Kurt Anderson, who I’m very excited about. As far as what Georgia’s getting, you have to figure that out on your own.”

Dan Mullen on the increasing heat of the Ole Miss rivalry:

“I think people get too confused in the rivalries between the schools. There’s not much I like about the school up north at all. As a whole. But the individuals there’s nothing personal that comes with that. It’s a rivalry between the institutions.”

Derek Mason on Fox Sports ranking Vanderbilt’s linebackers the No. 7 group in the country and not settling for that:

“It goes back to John F. Kennedy when he was asked to fall for the lesser role than running for president. For me, that's been a statement that really speaks to where we are. If there's an opportunity to be better, then let's be better. Let's reach for the highest thing out there. Let's reach for the sky. Let's reach for the brass ring. Let's not reach for what is sitting there at eye level. I think we're better than that. I think we need to think better than that. I heard a quote one time: Don't downgrade your dreams to match your reality. Upgrade your faith to match your destiny.”

Jim McElwain on his kicking situation and JUCO transfer Eddy Pineiro:

"You know, that's going to be interesting. I know this: I was excited to see he was able to buckle his chinstrap. That was awesome. And to see that happen, you know what, that's a step in the right direction."

Butch Jones on the leadership of Jalen Reeves-Maybin:

“In the spring, I had Jalen Reeves-Maybin come to my office. He said, ‘Coach, I've put together a video, and I'd like to show our football team.' And usually I want to proof the video, but I had so much faith and confidence in him, I said OK, go ahead. So he walks up to the team and put together a 25-point video on his own. But the thing about leadership is leaders eat last. The first thing he did is he showed clips from different games of himself, whether it was a missed tackle, whether it was a missed communication, a missed fundamental in coverage, and it started with him.

“Then he proceeded to go through all of the critical plays — offense, defense and special teams. And a football game can come down to two to three plays that mean the difference between winning and losing, and you never know which play it's going to be.”

Florida linebacker Jarrad Davis on Tennessee:

“It’s always one of the funnest games of the year. Because we win.”

Nick Saban on Media Days:

"I'm going to sit up here and very seriously talk about our team, and everything I'm going to say about our team, you've already written about. You've already written a story about. Somebody in this room has already written a story about what I'm going to talk about. But you're going to be serious and I'm going to be serious about talking about it again. That's the way we do things."

Kirby Smart on close games:

“So 42 percent of the (SEC) games last year were decided by one touchdown or less. That’s amazing to me. I even looked and had somebody do a stat last night that, in the NFL, where the greatest parity is, 51 percent of games are decided by one score or less, and in the SEC, it’s 42. It’s a conference that’s very competitive.”

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Here's what they really said:

Will Muschamp: "I went to a doctor and he asked me where it hurt. I took my finger and pressed on my stomach and I said it hurt there. I took my finger and pressed on my knee and I said it hurt there. I took my finger and pressed on my arm and I said it hurt there. The doctor paused for a moment and told me to show him my finger. He looked at it and said 'Son, you've got a broken finger. I recommend you quit hitting chalk boards.' Boy did I feel dumb".

Les Miles: "If you want to know the truth I need to get fitted for a hearing aid."

Brett Bielema: "If we didn't have that SEC clause in the contracts no one would be fool enough to stick around on this sinking ship with me."

Dan Mullen: "Hugh Freeze is kicking my butt everyday."

Derek Mason: "The only way to go at Vanderbilt is up because we just flat out suck in football".

Jim McElwain: "I went for it on 4th down a lot last year because I didn't have a field goal kicker. We lucked out some. This year having a good kicker might cost me a ballgame or two."

Butch Jones: "Jalen Reeves-Maybin sucks and he is going to cost us a close game wether it's a missed tackle, a missed communication, or a missed fundamental in coverage. Screw him."

Jared Davis: "I'm partying all night in Knoxville on Friday before the big game."

Nick Saban: "I'm serious when I say I'm getting so tired of this bullsh-t"

Kirby Smart: "We're going to lose a close one to Florida this year. I can just feel it."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator